New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if the battery will survive to a day in a LB with 4 dives, first review seems to point out that battery life is an issue.

I wonder if the battery will survive to a day in a LB with 4 dives, first review seems to point out that battery life is an issue.
I don’t think somebody who dives that intensely is the target audience. They would probably have a dedicated dive computer.

I could be wrong but I would expect the plan would be active for the day you bought it.
It should activate on the first dive. There's no mention of it currently in my Apple subscription list and it shows up as pending in my purchase history.

Well, at least they clarify what happens when you exceed the maximum maximum depth (44m) -- it essentially goes into lockout gauge mode. I would surmise that the limit is actually that of the pressure sensor, so once you're passed that limit it doesn't know what you did or how deep you went, so it can't compute the dive from that point onwards.

On a positive note, I see the numbers are about as big as on the Peregrine, which is nice, and more legible than I expected. I had a mental model of the screen being quite small, and it's a lot smaller than a full-size Shearwater -- but mostly in width, and they make up for that by simply presenting less information...

Apart from that I can't help but think there's a lot I'd miss from a real dive computer, like SurfGF and of course AI, even just as a recreational diver who sticks to less than 40m of depth. I would hope for future advancements in the Oceanic+ app, or that the ecosystem is opened up for further third-party diving apps.

I'm half tempted anyway just because I've been considering a smart watch for ages, and it could be nice for snorkelling/free diving...

Well, at least they clarify what happens when you exceed the maximum maximum depth (44m) -- it essentially goes into lockout gauge mode.

On a positive note, I see the numbers are about as big as on the Peregrine, which is nice, and more legible than I expected. I had a mental model of the screen being quite small, and it's a lot smaller than a full-size Shearwater -- but mostly in width, and they make up for that by simply presenting less information...

Apart from that I can't help but think there's a lot I'd miss from a real dive computer, like SurfGF, even just as a recreational diver who sticks to less than 40m of depth. I would hope for future advancements in the Oceanic+ app, or that the ecosystem is opened up for further third-party diving apps.
How many divers are going to worry about SurfGF? Does Oceanic offer that on their stand alone computers?

How many divers are going to worry about SurfGF? Does Oceanic offer that on their stand alone computers?
Oh I agree, "not the target audience", etc. It's just ... I wanted to like it, as the tech and data nerd I am, but the existing dive-specific toys are too much better on that front. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom