New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if the battery will survive to a day in a LB with 4 dives, first review seems to point out that battery life is an issue.
Said you would need to charge it nightly or carry a power pack if running low. Same situation precautions I used with a Teric before shifting to a perdix 2.

How many divers are going to worry about SurfGF? Does Oceanic offer that on their stand alone computers?
I would. And I'd want the thing to work with decompression for recreational depths. Who doesn't want to do an hour at 30m/100ft with a bit of deco?

In fact I'd expect the program to work like any decent dive computer. Seems there's a load of restrictions all to say "ooooooohhhhh look at my shiny Apple watch..."

Yes; it's very shiny and desirable, but only provides the most basic functionality.

I would. And I'd want the thing to work with decompression for recreational depths. Who doesn't want to do an hour at 30m/100ft with a bit of deco?

In fact I'd expect the program to work like any decent dive computer. Seems there's a load of restrictions all to say "ooooooohhhhh look at my shiny Apple watch..."

Yes; it's very shiny and desirable, but only provides the most basic functionality.
You can dive at hour at 30 meters, it has deco. You won’t run into any restrictions until the max depth of 130 feet. If you are not exceeding that depth it works like any other computer.

I'd want the thing to work with decompression for recreational depths. Who doesn't want to do an hour at 30m/100ft with a bit of deco?
It does appear to do that though, as far as I can tell from the reviews.

The divein review posted was very thorough and highlights pros/cons. I think an interesting point he made was comparing the impact the iPhone had on the cellular industry to Apple entering the dive industry. Should be an exciting future and good for all divers.

It does appear to do that though, as far as I can tell from the reviews.
Certainly appears to with their screenshots.

Can you change gasses?

You’re not the average recreational diver who takes a trip or two a year and doesn’t read SB.

The divein review posted was very thorough and highlights pros/cons. I think an interesting point he made was comparing the impact the iPhone had on the cellular industry to Apple entering the dive industry. Should be an exciting future and good for all divers.

I like the analogy with the car navigation GPS that were the rage 20 years ago and selling like crazy, everyone had one on their windshield.
Then came Apple/Google Maps with a basic solution… and a few years later, they are kings.

It’s easy to criticize a first attempt at disrupting the market, I have however no doubt this will profoundly change things.
Cheap/entry DCs will be a thing of the past in no time.

Back
Top Bottom