New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you may be correct - the video posted a couple pages back states that if you go below 40m, the screen then only shows depth and time, AND locks you out for 24 hours once you surface.
Locking people out is simply a bad design choice.

Ultimately if you regularly dive below 130 feet, it is not your computer. If you typically stay above 130 feet, it is worth looking at.

Ultimately if you regularly ever dive below 130 feet, it is not your computer. If you typically stay above 130 feet, it is worth looking at.
FIFY. That's just a stupid reason to lock you out. Stupider than blowing off deco.

Ultimately if you regularly dive below 130 feet, it is not your computer. If you typically stay above 130 feet, it is worth looking at.

This SO limiting and very stupid limitation/restriction.

How many divers are going to worry about SurfGF? Does Oceanic offer that on their stand alone computers?
I would, but I'm certain I'm not the target audience. Well, worry may not be the right term, and I'm sure that the group that would care is pretty small. I'm certain if I polled the IRL divers I know very few would know what it was.

That said, one of the things I was initially disappointed with my Garmin was that it didn't have SurfGF. There was no mention of it in the manual. When I stumbled upon it, I was thrilled and wanted to see how it tracked to my Shearwater on my next dive. Very closely I found out.

That said, I've done plenty of dives without the benefit of SurfGF, and still do many where it doesn't really matter. So it's likely not going to be missed except by Shearwater users.
The divein review posted was very thorough and highlights pros/cons. I think an interesting point he made was comparing the impact the iPhone had on the cellular industry to Apple entering the dive industry. Should be an exciting future and good for all divers.
Agreed. Competition is good for the consumer. Provided, of course that the giant entering the field doesn't force others out of business. It might force others to offer more in their dive computers.

This looks like a real good choice for the vacation/rental diver. The cost of the app would be less than the cost of renting a computer for the trip. And the ease of use will be good there as well. A rental computer does a diver absolutely no good if they don't know how to use it.

If it impacts sales I am sure they will look into it.
Most people will be unaware until they go below 40 meters. Then they'll find out the hard way. My first time below 40 meters wasn't intentional. I was diving Agamemnon Wall near Seachelt BC. The Gorgonian Fans are deep and I just kept taking pictures. I had maybe 60 dives at the time, so my situational awareness, like many of the customers of this watch, wasn't the best.

How durable is the screen on these things?

Every single dive computer I've ever owned has taken it's fair share of beatings both in and out of the water, I'd be worried this would crack pretty quickly.

Then again I would never buy it myself, but I can't imagine there aren't a ton of divers out there who are just as clumsy/reckless as me when it comes to their gear.

How durable is the screen on these things?

Every single dive computer I've ever owned has taken it's fair share of beatings both in and out of the water, I'd be worried this would crack pretty quickly.

Then again I would never buy it myself, but I can't imagine there aren't a ton of divers out there who are just as clumsy/reckless as me when it comes to their gear.
Aerospace titanium and sapphire crystal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom