New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if the battery will survive to a day in a LB with 4 dives, first review seems to point out that battery life is an issue.
There's no reason you could not top it off during surface intervals if necessary.
I don’t think somebody who dives that intensely is the target audience. They would probably have a dedicated dive computer.
Liveaboard diving is not all that exotic these days with many more divers participating. I did a week on the Belize Aggressor IV in April. We had 19 divers out of a maximum of 20. There was a family of 9 from Mexico that contained several new, inexperienced divers. A small group of them did nitrox on board on the 1st day to use for the rest of the week. Four of the 10 divers from the US were inexperienced. It worked out well, the newer divers dived with the guide

More serious divers, if not many others, will likely dive the Ultra/Oceanic+ along with a dedicated dive computer. This may be even more common in a situation such as diving on a liveaboard.

More serious divers, if not many others, will likely dive the Ultra/Oceanic+ along with a dedicated dive computer. This may be even more common in a situation such as diving on a liveaboard.
My current Apple Watch is working just fine, but when it craps out (as it inevitably will), I'll probably spring for the Ultra and use it as a back up for my Peregrine when necessary.

My current Apple Watch is working just fine, but when it craps out (as it inevitably will), I'll probably spring for the Ultra and use it as a back up for my Peregrine when necessary.

I plan on using it as a back up but seeing it compared to a peregrine and perdix (which I use)underwater I can see it being the one your eyes go to first. Screen looks amazing.

Is there an owner's manual for Oceanic+ on the Ultra, I have not been able to find it.

It runs Buhlmann with GF. The presets are quite conservative, 70/85, 65/80, and 60/75. It also has custom GF, is that full range for GF high?

If you exceed 40 meters/130 feet, but not 44 meters/144 ft, the computer appears to continue to display depth and NDL. Does the computer revert back to normal display with all dive information when you ascend to less than 40 meters/130 feet?
View attachment 755869

If you exceed 44 meters/144t, the computer does not display depth or NDL. At between 44 meters/144 feet and 40 meters/130 feet, does the computer display depth and NDL, as above? When shallower than 40 meters/130 feet, does it revert back to normal display with all dive information?
I've not heard that anyone has found a user's manual yet, I hope to see one.

@rongoodman tells us custom GF goes up to a GF high of 95

It's the depth limits that still have me confused. It you go between 130 and 144 feet, does the computer revert to normal function on ascending or does it lock you out for 24 hours? What does it display once you are back above 130 ft, violation gauge mode, depth and time? It would seem that if you go below 144 ft, you are locked out. What does the computer display once you are back above 144 or 130 feet? Perfect topic for a couple of pressure pot dives, I hope @t1tan will run them New Apple Watch is a dive computer

It appears that the computer handles decompression traditionally.

One of the reviews I read stated, I believe, that once you go back above the 144ft "lock out" depth the display returns to normal. It would almost have to, otherwise it wouldn't be displaying your depth as you ascend.

One of the reviews I read stated, I believe, that once you go back above the 144ft "lock out" depth the display returns to normal. It would almost have to, otherwise it wouldn't be displaying your depth as you ascend.
It could be in violation gauge mode and just display depth and time, without displaying NDL. If exceeding the depth limit was coincident with going into deco, it would be nice to have that information for the ascent.

These are simple questions and will be answered soon

It you go between 130 and 144 feet, does the computer revert to normal function on ascending or does it lock you out for 24 hours?

My understanding is that it locks you out since the sensor is only good to 40 meters and if you go below that, it doesn't know what depth you went to hence all calculations are off.

(I can be wrong however, but this is what I understood).

the sensor is only good to 40 meters
I would wager that is a software issue, not a hardware issue. I cannot imagine a pressure sensor that stops working after 5 atmospheres of pressure.

Apple does have a track record of doing screwy things in software.

I think it is strange that Ultra/Oceanic+ has custom GFs to a GF high of 95 but also has the depth limits of 130/144 ft. I would have thought that if they wanted to be conservative, they would have limited it to the presets with a maximum GF high of 85. That is not too much different than PPS's PZ+

I could be in violation gauge mode and just display depth and time, without displaying NDL. If exceeding the depth limit was coincident with going into deco, it would be nice to have that information for the ascent.

These are simple questions and will be answered soon
I think you may be correct - the video posted a couple pages back states that if you go below 40m, the screen then only shows depth and time, AND locks you out for 24 hours once you surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom