New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine is arriving Friday. Will test it as a gauge along with my Teric in Cozumel next weekend. It seems the Oceanic+ won't be ready on launch and I may pay for a day or month just to test it out but no way I am paying the $80 annual subscription. Fingers crossed open source apps will be available soon.

I get this product being desirable if you want an all-in-one watch to wear daily and don’t mind it being a honker in size. But for those like me that don’t want a daily watch, there are much better choices for dedicated dive computers with proven track records.

It’s a full featured fitness watch that will offer a dive app - it’s not intended to compete with dedicated dive computers.

Your last message answers your previous message: the AW Ultra is not meant to compete with dedicated DCs… and therefore cannot be compared to them.

Did anyone in this thread say it was better than a dedicated DC? Do people actually think that? Or are we arguing/debating a point that doesn’t even exist in the first place?

Does it do anything more than a $200 Mares Puck or Cressi Leonardo?

Yeah, it does. It's a general purpose computer that runs more than 20,000 apps.

You may not want something that works as a dive computer and also does all those other things, that's fine. But clearly a lot of people like the idea of wearing something on their wrist that has all of those functions and can also work as a dive computer. I think that a lot of the world feels the same way.

Apple sold 50 million watches last year and over 200 million iPhones. Surprisingly, not as many people bought dedicated MP3 players, digital cameras, flip phones, electronic rolodexes or GPS units...

Did anyone in this thread say it was better than a dedicated DC? Do people actually think that? Or are we arguing/debating a point that doesn’t even exist in the first place?

I do. Talking about the physical watch not the Oceanic app. Maybe not this particular one if it will not report the depth below 40m but breaking the hardware software link has transformed all sorts of computery stuff over and over.

Think of this as a little box of sensors you can write code for. Isn’t that exciting?

I do. Talking about the physical watch not the Oceanic app. Maybe not this particular one if it will not report the depth below 40m but breaking the hardware software link has transformed all sorts of computery stuff over and over.

Think of this as a little box of sensors you can write code for. Isn’t that exciting?

It is VERY exciting! I have mine ordered and arriving on Friday.

As I have posted before, I do think it’ll be a fantastic backup DC for my Teric, as well as a main DC on occasion if I don’t have my Teric. Or for occasional divers.

But I don’t think it will surpass, at least the first few generations, a dedicated DC.
And don’t think anyone else thinks that - you included given your message above.

So arguing that point is moot. :)

Me, you, @BoltSnap and @Joneill are about 40-50 yrs past their target audience.

We are just way too mature and wise to fall for such marketing traps :p

If readability matters to people it will surpass most entry level or basic recreational dive computers. Will probably look nice next to my perdix 2.

I think the 7 is ideal. was mentioning the apple watches can really help catch issues, all of them, not just the Ultra. I believe they 8 does some type of glucose monitoring/pairing
It doesn't do it with it's own sensors, although there have been many rumors Apple is working on this. But I think it (and earlier versions) may be able to connect with a bluetooth glucose monitor (like this onehttps://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/diabetes-care/freestyle-libre-2-now-connected-to-your-iphone.html)

Your larger point is correct. With the ability to detect abnormal heart rhythms and falls plus the built in capability to call 911, these are devices which also provide value to the "mature" population.

Your last message answers your previous message: the AW Ultra is not meant to compete with dedicated DCs… and therefore cannot be compared to them.

Not sure why you are responding to/quoting me?

I never said the AW is meant to compete with dedicated DC’s or that it was better than a dedicated DC. I don’t believe either of those is true and have stated that I see the benefit of the AW Ultra for those that want an all-in-one daily watch and can live with a 40m depth restriction and no AI.

Back
Top Bottom