New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

International use of a cellular Apple Watch is not a contract thing but a hardware thing. Unlike most phones, which have radios that are compatible with the different cellular bands and formats around the globe, the Apple Watch comes with one radio that is compatible with the area it is purchased in. It's a simple matter of space as different bands require slight hardware differences as well as antenna differences. There's not enough room in the watch to cover the planet. So a watch purchased in the US will not work on cellular in some other parts of the world.

If the powers that be had been able to get their sh!t together thirty years ago and agree on a single mobile band and format, we would not have this issue.
Are you sure about the one radio limitation? I wss under the impression that it supported most global bands. All 5 UMTS and most LTE bands are supported. I think that it’s more a function of carrier interoperability.

I doubt that any of this will inform anyone sbout the diveability of the Ultra.

You can get the same features on the different apple model for 1/2 the price, outside of diving and the bigger battery basically. You pay double to dive with it.
The cheaper apple watches do not have cellular, crystal sapphire displays, stainless steel and titanium bezels.

i dive nearly everyday as an instructor and love the new ultra.

$80 a year? how much are you spending on your streaming services? hulu, disney+, espn+, paramount+, amazon prime video, netflix, peacock, youtube premium, nfl sunday ticket, etc, etc?

Yes and no, I am an apple person because you don’t have to upgrade for years. Laptops for a decade, phones for 5-6 years, Apple Watch 4 still kicking. No issues, apple is about ease of use and reliability.
iPhone battery life starts to suck after about 2 years in my experience…

Are you sure about the one radio limitation? I wss under the impression that it supported most global bands. All 5 UMTS and most LTE bands are supported. I think that it’s more a function of carrier interoperability.

No, I'm not sure. I'm going by the somewhat contradictory language on this page, especially this paragraph:

To cover the LTE and UMTS bands used around the world, cellular models of Apple Watch come in regional models for the Americas, China mainland, and Europe/Asia Pacific. Unlike iPhone, there isn't a worldwide Apple Watch model that supports all cellular bands used globally. Find out which carriers in your country or region offer cellular service for Apple Watch.

International use of a cellular Apple Watch is not a contract thing but a hardware thing. Unlike most phones, which have radios that are compatible with the different cellular bands and formats around the globe, the Apple Watch comes with one radio that is compatible with the area it is purchased in. It's a simple matter of space as different bands require slight hardware differences as well as antenna differences. There's not enough room in the watch to cover the planet. So a watch purchased in the US will not work on cellular in some other parts of the world.

If the powers that be had been able to get their sh!t together thirty years ago and agree on a single mobile band and format, we would not have this issue.
To cover the LTE and UMTS bands used around the world, cellular models of Apple Watch come in regional models for the Americas, China mainland, and Europe/Asia Pacific. Unlike iPhone, there isn't a worldwide Apple Watch model that supports all cellular bands used globally. Find out which carriers in your country or region offer cellular service for Apple Watch.

If this is true, this means that when the happy people from the US travel to dive in the Red Sea or Indonesia, their Apple Watch becomes a "watch" only with no phone function? Might as well use a dive computer then.

If this is true, this means that when the happy people from the US travel to dive in the Red Sea or Indonesia, their Apple Watch becomes a "watch" only with no phone function? Might as well use a dive computer then.
Yeah... I go diving to get away from the b'stards in the office or the hustle and bustle of city life. The great thing about a dive boat is you're soon out of cellular range.

I want to talk crap about diving with divers and definitely don't need to know twattergram's opinions.

Then again, I like to do longer, deeper dives ferreting around in rusty wrecks, so wouldn't have a use for the iRecreational iWatch.

Of course, if back in the Caribbean, life and diving is a completely different matter.

There's a big thing about it on the McApple website. Only works "in the country you bought it".

No, I'm not sure. I'm going by the somewhat contradictory language on this page, especially this paragraph:

It’s that last sentence which is key.
There's a big thing about it on the McApple website. Only works "in the country you bought it".
That’s odd. I have an 7 with cellular. Works in every country I’ve been to.

It’s that last sentence which is key.

That’s odd. I have an 7 with cellular. Works in every country I’ve been to.
Did you have your iPhone with you at the time, or did you just have the watch? It's possible that the watch was connected to the phone and using its international service and not being dependent on the cellular built into the watch.

Did you have your iPhone with you at the time, or did you just have the watch? It's possible that the watch was connected to the phone and using its international service and not being dependent on the cellular built into the watch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom