New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IF I was an Apple person, none of that would matter. Most apple people like having the latest greatest, and only hold back if they can't afford it.
Yes and no, I am an apple person because you don’t have to upgrade for years. Laptops for a decade, phones for 5-6 years, Apple Watch 4 still kicking. No issues, apple is about ease of use and reliability.

IF I was an Apple person, none of that would matter. Most apple people like having the latest greatest, and only hold back if they can't afford it.

At "only" $33.29 per month on your cell phone contract, most anybody can "afford" it.

Given that the regular Apple watch 8 is $400 less than the Ultra, there should be a strong reason to go to it vs the regular. At least from an economic standpoint. To have it just for sake of a dive computer, it's an extra $480 (series 8 difference + one year of Oceanic+). At that price a Deep6 Excursion at $350 is a fair bit less, while a Peregrine is a touch more at $500. Over the course of five years the Ultra as a DC is $800. The Deep6 is still just $350 and Peregrine $500. If the Oceanic+ software was a one-time price of $80, I'd say it'd be worth consideration.

So just for the sake of having it as a DC, it doesn't pencil out to me. However, it does bnring more to the table than the standard Apple watch: longer battery life, more rugged construction, larger and brighter display, etc. But I also already have a DC and a smart watch for athletic use. Of course a Zodiac Super Sea Wolf doesn't pencil out for me either by doing anything more than the Citizen on my wrist but that doesn't mean I haven't been considering one. To each their own.

The Ultra includes cel connectivity so it is actually $270 more than a "regular" Apple Watch with cellular, rather than $400. Also, not sure where the $33.29 came from. My watch added $10/month to my contract but it is standalone phone. In fact I am moving away from carrying a phone as the watch includes everything I need for daily use.

The Ultra includes cel connectivity so it is actually $270 more than a "regular" Apple Watch with cellular, rather than $400. Also, not sure where the $33.29 came from. My watch added $10/month to my contract but it is standalone phone. In fact I am moving away from carrying a phone as the watch includes everything I need for daily use.
$33.29 came from Apple’s site for the watch: Buy Apple Watch Ultra

Seems that you can't use the watch "cellular" capability abroad. Certainly the case for my cellular provider in the UK who charges £7/$€8 per month in addition to the phone contract.

Seems that you can't use the watch "cellular" capability abroad. Certainly the case for my cellular provider in the UK who charges £7/$€8 per month in addition to the phone contract.
Not sure what you mean? Statements contradict each other.

With watchOS 9.1 and later, international roaming is available on cellular models of Apple Watch Series 5 and later, Apple Watch SE and later, and Apple Watch Ultra. To get international roaming on your Apple Watch, contact your iPhone carrier to add your watch to your iPhone cellular roaming plan.

I'm sure the international cell service for the watch works the same as for the phones; it's not automatic, but adding it temporarily for a trip is pretty easy.

I'm sure the international cell service for the watch works the same as for the phones; it's not automatic, but adding it temporarily for a trip is pretty easy.
On T-Mobile in the USA, your watch (if already in your existing plan) is included for international use.

The $32.99 is to actually purchase the watch I believe. Cellular service is $10/month. I don't finance phones or watches so I really only look at the retail price.

International use of a cellular Apple Watch is not a contract thing but a hardware thing. Unlike most phones, which have radios that are compatible with the different cellular bands and formats around the globe, the Apple Watch comes with one radio that is compatible with the area it is purchased in. It's a simple matter of space as different bands require slight hardware differences as well as antenna differences. There's not enough room in the watch to cover the planet. So a watch purchased in the US will not work on cellular in some other parts of the world.

If the powers that be had been able to get their sh!t together thirty years ago and agree on a single mobile band and format, we would not have this issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom