New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son is beside himself wanting this watch. He’s 22. Other than no A.I., it’s perfect for him. He enjoys diving, but just listening to his enthusiasm about this makes me feel like Apple has hit on a great idea.

Now….I hope Subsurface is reading this thread, because I’d love to see them produce an App, and charge a one-time fee. And then the dive log would integrate seamlessly with Subsurface, which I think is a great piece of software.

My son is beside himself wanting this watch. He’s 22. Other than no A.I., it’s perfect for him. He enjoys diving, but just listening to his enthusiasm about this makes me feel like Apple has hit on a great idea.

Now….I hope Subsurface is reading this thread, because I’d love to see them produce an App, and charge a one-time fee. And then the dive log would integrate seamlessly with Subsurface, which I think is a great piece of software.
I'm not that familiar with Subfurface, but if I understand it correctly, it's logging software? There's a big difference between dive computers and dive logging software. Painfully evident in the stock software dive computer manufacturers offer. Fortunately both my Oceanic Atom and Shearwater Perdix AI sync well with MacDive.

Apologies if I misunderstood Subsurface.

I'm not that familiar with Subfurface, but if I understand it correctly, it's logging software? There's a big difference between dive computers and dive logging software. Painfully evident in the stock software dive computer manufacturers offer. Fortunately both my Oceanic Atom and Shearwater Perdix AI sync well with MacDive.

Apologies if I misunderstood Subsurface.
You have it correctly. Subsurface is an open source dive logging software. It’s free, and they do a great job. I highly recommend it.

You have it correctly. Subsurface is an open source dive logging software. It’s free, and they do a great job. I highly recommend it.
Yeah, so I think it's a huge stretch for Subsurface to offer software to act as a dive computer.

Side note: it drives me nuts that iOS seems to always want to autocorrect 'dive' to 'dove'.

It's fairly advanced for a logging program though. For example, it runs Buhlman on the dive profile and calculates its own NDL, deco, etc for each point in the dive -- exactly what a dive computer would do.

I was toying with the idea of creating a minimal dive computer app, showing essentially just depth+time+SurfGF. With that, an advanced diver can figure out their own ascent profile with or without deco to surface with a desired GF... :D

I think that the suggestion was that the open source group that maintains Subsurface could also produce a DC app for the new watch. Any person, group or company could do that (assuming that Apple doesn't have any sort of exclusivity arrangement with Oceanic), and certainly this group has the incentive to get into that space. Plus, as mentioned above, it already has some DC functionality.

I think that the suggestion was that the open source group that maintains Subsurface could also produce a DC app for the new watch. Any person, group or company could do that (assuming that Apple doesn't have any sort of exclusivity arrangement with Oceanic), and certainly this group has the incentive to get into that space. Plus, as mentioned above, it already has some DC functionality.
It'll certainly be interesting to see how all this plays out once it's all released.

I tried it, but didn’t like it - Subsurface Mobile is just not a very polished product on iPhone. It may work fine, but it has limited functionality and sort of looks like a home made effort.

I use Dive Log (and Wi-Fi synch the logs with Diving Log 6.0 on my PC - they work together seamlessly). Dive Log is a far nicer, more professional looking product - both in how it presents data, type of data you can enter/ link to and statistics. It also let’s you capture dive site coordinates via the GPS on your iPhone.

It’s not free - but only $13.99 for the core app and then an in-app $2.99 for the specific computer you want to use with it. Both 1 time charges - so under $20 for a really great log program with a super responsive developer.

I have a family or 4, $129/year, you've got to be kidding me. I'll stick with my free downloads. We'll all see how this business model plays out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom