New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It never ceases to amaze me -- regardless of whether you still have watches and tables; standalone computers of any brand, or even an absurd subscription through Apple / Huish -- the level sheer of fetishism now attached to record keeping.

Last year, a friend was running a dive charter and was chronically understaffed and asked whether I would be willing to join, for the diving and spiny lobster / scallops, since I was already doing some work in the LA area. "How'd you like to avoid twelve million bitter f**ks for a few days?" was how he sold it to me.

After a beautiful day of diving off San Miguel and Santa Cruz Islands, along with spectacular weather and large bugs, I asked where everyone had gone, after returning from a dive. The crew were all on deck, enjoying the weather.

My friend rolled just his eyes and pointed toward the galley. Aside from those futzing with cameras (and I have done my fair share of that), everyone else had their laptops out, and were hemming and hawing just who had the "nicest' dive profile; and arguing over which software was "the best" for scuba record keeping, and were proudly displaying their logs.

When asked, I mentioned that I seldom kept logs, aside from some "broad" work-related stuff, for billing and insurances, in case something goes sideways; and just kept the thirty or forty hours my various computers kept in memory before over-writing. I have never transferred anything to computer.

I once used little Moleskine notebooks, that I would receive, as stocking stuffers each Christmas, to log dives, for some years -- and was even more satisfied, to abandon all of that extraneous crap by the close of the 20th century . . .

It never ceases to amaze me -- regardless of whether you still have watches and tables; standalone computers of any brand, or even an absurd subscription through Apple / Huish -- the level sheer of fetishism now attached to record keeping.

Last year, a friend was running a dive charter and was chronically understaffed and asked whether I would be willing to join, for the diving and spiny lobster / scallops, since I was already doing some work in the LA area. "How'd you like to avoid twelve million unpleasant f**ks for a few days?" was how he sold it to me.

After a beautiful day of diving off San Miguel and Santa Cruz Islands, along with spectacular weather and large bugs, I asked where everyone had gone, after returning from a dive. The crew were all on deck, enjoying the weather.

My friend rolled just his eyes and pointed toward the galley. Aside from those futzing with cameras (and I have done my fair share of that), everyone else had their laptops out, and were hemming and hawing just who had the "nicest' dive profile; and arguing over which software was "the best" for scuba record keeping, and were proudly displaying their logs.

When asked, I mentioned that I seldom keep logs any longer, aside from some "skeletal" work-related stuff, for billing and insurances, in case something goes sideways; and just keep the thirty or forty hours my various computers keep in memory before over-writing, for any specific record-keeping. I have never transferred anything to computer

I once used little Moleskine notebooks, that I would receive, as stocking stuffers each Christmas, to log dives, for some years -- and was even more satisfied, to abandon all of that extraneous crap by the close of the 20th century . . .
I pretty much stopped downloading dives from my two Perdix a while back. The Perdix has something like a 1000 hour logbook. I’ll sometimes download a dive, but that’s it. I do, however have a Moleskine notebook I keep notable bits, such as weighting for different configurations or memorable dive info.

Yup, and if they had to recoup their development costs on a singe purchase, it would probably be MUCH more expensive, especially given the very small number of people who would buy it. This isn't Microsoft Word.

Yeah, we are all used to getting "free" software, but it costs a lot of money to produce and test something like this. And it's not some word game where if it fails, who cares.
Funny that an app like Divelog is a one time charge of $13.99 with a one time $2.99 fee for the SW computer support and they constantly update to support new DC’s and add new features. Oceanic is also likely heavily leveraging existing algorithms so this is not from scratch development of something totally new.

I have no problem paying for software (as I did with Dive Log since I don’t like the hobbyist look/feel of Subsurface Mobile). I also bought DaVinci Resolve for video editing vs the free version so I could get the extra features that come with the paid version - but I don’t want to get hooked into a subscription when there really will be no benefit beyond being able to use the app.

I always download my dives, and sync them with MacDive on my phone. I really love it. I spend time writing up notes about what I saw and what I did. I love going back and reading those notes later. I love having all of my dives with me on my phone so that if a question comes up in conversation about a past dive or an old dive site, I have it all there.

I do that because I really like doing it. It enhances my enjoyment of diving. I find it fun. I find it pleasurable.

You know, like a fetish.

MacDive needs to be purchased, as well. $25 for desktop and I think $10 for iPhone.

I pretty much stopped downloading dives from my two Perdix a while back. The Perdix has something like a 1000 hour logbook. I’ll sometimes download a dive, but that’s it. I do, however have a Moleskine notebook I keep notable bits, such as weighting for different configurations or memorable dive info.
Much easier/faster, accessible and secure to keep this info electronically than in a physical notebook - but to each their own.

A 1 time purchase, right?
Correct. But it’s logging software, not an app that will turn your Apple Watch into a dive computer.

Funny that an app like Divelog is a one time charge of $13.99 with a one time $2.99 fee for the SW computer support and they constantly update to support new DC’s and add new features. Oceanic is also likely heavily leveraging existing algorithms so this is not from scratch development of something totally new.

I have no problem paying for software (as I did with Dive Log since I don’t like the hobbyist look/feel of Subsurface Mobile). I also bought DaVinci Resolve for video editing vs the free version so I could get the extra features that come with the paid version - but I don’t want to get hooked into a subscription when there really be no real benefit beyond being able to use the app.

Sure, a different business model. Maybe Oceanic will make money, maybe they won't. Up to the market to decide.

But you really can't equate the two. All software isn't the same, otherwise I wouldn't be paying over $4,000 a year for my office billing and scheduling software, for one provider.

Divelog is a dive log. It records your dives. If it fails, you lose your record of your dives.

It isn't dive computer software that tracks your N2 loading in real time based on inputs from a mechanical device while underwater, and helps you avoid injury or death. It's a different thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom