New Apple Watch is a dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really hope that you can use other apps when underwater. Just spitballing I thought of a number of ideas, and I'm sure that over the next year the really smart people will come up with even more.

One that just occurred to me is communication. Divers sign language is often inconsistent between different areas of the world or between different people with different training. Basic simple stuff like thumbing a dive is fairly universal, but imagine an app with a few hundred phrases that you could preload, customize and scroll through, to display for your buddy.

I don't think that in 2007 most people - even tech savvy people - could have anticipated all of the applications that would someday be used on an iPhone. I hope that this follows in that tradition.

The big barrier to other apps (besides any "risk" factors of moving away from the Dive App) is that the touchscreen is disabled under water. The ability to switch to a different app and use it without the touch screen is limited. Certainly, your use case of scrolling through phrases probably could be done without touch (although picking which app to start might), but at least at this point, there isn't much that is done without touch and app switching (outside of the new action button) requires it.

The screen is way better than the garmin. It will be the most readable screen on the market I believe.

From the Oceanic website, Oceanic+ FAQs and tutorials

1662814535492.png

1662814573342.png

1662817057018.png
1662817418598.png

1662814600735.png

Is any other dive computer limited to 130 ft? No NDL data displayed? How about deco information? End the dive? If one ascends to less than 130 ft, does normal function resume, or not?

This does not seem right to me. Perhaps this is OK for the intended user?

The big barrier to other apps (besides any "risk" factors of moving away from the Dive App) is that the touchscreen is disabled under water. The ability to switch to a different app and use it without the touch screen is limited. Certainly, your use case of scrolling through phrases probably could be done without touch (although picking which app to start might), but at least at this point, there isn't much that is done without touch and app switching (outside of the new action button) requires it.
Yeah, but there are two buttons and a scroll wheel that work underwater. That's more than my Shearwater devices offer, and they work great.

So one thing that would be an easy software fix for any app that wants to be usable during a dive would be to have a mode where for some subset of the touch screen, control is switched to the button and crown.

Judging from the number of posts since announcement, this watch is creating a huge interest in the diving community. This is surprising and interesting. I wonder if people will try out scuba diving because they have an Apple Watch that allows it and that sparks their curiosity.

I love my Apple Watch but I’ll stick with Shearwater for diving. I have two Perdix and a Petrel 2 that will be on my CCR. No AI and being depth limited to 130’ doesn’t match my diving. Will be great for recreational divers, though.

You know, I actually think the opposite. I don't own a smart watch but I have given two to my aging parentals. The fall detection is really first rate, no false positives like I have heard others complaining about. And the best device is one you have on you; people don't like wearing the "life alert" bracelet or necklace, but an Apple Watch is a fashion statement. The price also compares very favorably when you compare it over the lifespan of a watch, factoring in the monitoring service costs.
I have friends who’ve also given Apple Watches with phone capabilities (without needing an iPhone nearby) to aging parents. More than once the aging parent has called the kids after a fall when they couldn’t get up. Kids were able to get to them fast.

Seamless integration with the iPhone and the rest of the Apple universe.
That’s what I meant by Apple forced restrictions.
The screen is way better than the garmin. It will be the most readable screen on the market I believe.
That’s fair. May be a significant differentiator depending on your eyesight.
Is any other dive computer limited to 130 ft? No NDL data displayed? How about deco information? End the dive? If one ascends to less than 130 ft, does normal function resume, or not?

This does not seem right to me. Perhaps this is OK for the intended user?
Yeah, this seems odd. It states that it’s a hardware restriction, but certainly reads more like an intentional software restriction. But, yeah, I guess it’s OK for the intended user. By passing the 130’ mark, the computer just tells you that your dive is over. No NDL left.

I wonder what happens after. Does the app lockout?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom