New and first fins: ready for a new embarras du choix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah first thing I did was swap straps from old to new as that's the smartest thing anyone can do

126.JPG

As you may have noticed with this sort of question there tends to be a long list of various peoples favorite fins, I have tried many many different fins and for me the most miserable fins I’ve ever used the Mares and Hollis top the list of “worse” while others love them, the point is you need to try several different types and brands to see what works best for you in use not what works best for someone else.

I've done my first open-water dives with rented Aqua Lung Stratos fins, and I guess they're fine, but at times I didn't feel quite as stable as I'd hoped (although maybe that's just because of my general inexperience and poor trim so far). In either case, this thread will end in "I'll just try different ones and see which work best for me",
You pretty much nailed it. Unlike BCDs, where experienced divers can agree that a basic BP/W will work well for most dives (even if many prefer something different), there's no such agreement on fins.

Drysuited cave and wreck divers do seem to love their short bladed paddle fins, but there are specific reasons for that related to their environment and equipment that don't necessarily apply to open water divers in wetsuits. Personally, I can't stand fins like the original jets that only cover the front and mid part of your foot. I guess they work if you wear boots with a stiff sole, but I have a hard time finding boots that fit me so prefer to stick to neoprene booties instead of rock boots.

There are jet style fins where the part that goes along the bottom of your foot extends back towards the heel. I would look at those before the classic type. Here's examples of jet-style fins with and without full(er) foot support. Top is Scubapro Jet Fins, bottom are Apeks RK3 HD.
SCPFJXLYL.jpg

APXFRK3HDOMD.jpg

Going beyond the Jets, Avanti Quattros are probably the most common choice of pros in warm and temperate waters. It's nowhere near a majority, but if you were to buy absolutely blindly, that's where I'd start.

However I bet you can figure out how to try out a few fins. First, ask around. Most divers have gone through more than one pair and may have something lurking in their closets you can try out. Or ask if anyone is interested in switching for one dive. Ask your dive shop what they have in the bins in the back.

I'm going to test out the TUSA Hyflex Switch Pro, Mares Avanti Quattro+, Aqua Lung X Shot, and Zeagle Recon fins :) I'll get back when I have a verdict. Thanks all for your recommendations and feedback!

Yeah first thing I did was swap straps from old to new as that's the smartest thing anyone can do

View attachment 775832
The one that broke on mine was the newer rubber bungee type like on the right fin in your picture. I had only put 65 dives on these fins that I had bought new in 2021 - so was quite surprised (and disappointed) by the strap failure.

Here I am again with a new dilemma: the purchase of open-water fins.
One option is to grab something inexpensive off the used-market, and then when you know fins better, buy the fins you actually want.
Mares Avanti Quattro Plus (seem to win every time as the best all-rounder)
I can give these fins a +1. You may even find a good deal on these on the used market.

A few others are:
  • Hollis F1 & F2 "Bat Fins"
  • Deep6 Eddy
  • Apeks Rk3
I'd probably just go with the Avanti Quattro for now on the basis of not spending your budget. From there you can learn more about fins over time, learn what you like/dislike about the Quattros (or whichever fins you get), and patiently check the used market occasionally until one of these others pops up and grab them too.

Some divers have a closet full of fins they have bought over the years.
I 100% guarantee that this will be the OP. He has the precise personality characteristics. Doing his research. Getting ahead of himself. Likes top optimize. Asks questions online. (I'm not criticizing, I'm basically describing me)

OP, you're also trying to find the perfect fin with practically zero experience. That's fine, but also realize you won't find it. Many fins are situational.

For example, I absolutely love my SeaWing Novas (standard, non-gorilla) for (a) traveling long distances with flutter kick or (b) without scuba-equipment (free-diving, swimming) moving high-speeds. Unfortunately, I cannot make frog-kick or reverse-kick work in those fins at all.

I 100% guarantee that this will be the OP. He has the precise personality characteristics. Doing his research. Getting ahead of himself. Likes top optimize. Asks questions online. (I'm not criticizing, I'm basically describing me)
You have no clue how long it took me to finally decide which first stethoscope to buy a few years ago 🤣

You have no clue how long it took me to finally decide which first stethoscope to buy a few years ago 🤣
As a minor piece of unsolicited advice, resist the temptation to look like this on a recreational dive:

50d149a991bbc0b480e31ddbfc46c7a2--technical-diving-scuba-diving-gear.jpg

Most of us eventually come around to this:

+1 for Avanti Quattro. One of my very experienced dive buddies has a pair of these and they seem like great all rounders.

I use 2 sets of fins, oms slipstreams for precision work and some composite freediving fins for dives that need a bit more go juice. I’ve bought 4 pairs of fins in the last 10 years, leaving behind 2x plastic freediving fins. I used to wear freediving fins for everything.

My number one piece of advice is the find a pair of booties that fit you really well, then find a pair of fins that fit and will generally do what you want. I suffered with poor fitting fins for years and regret it.

Back
Top Bottom