New 7mm Wetsuit So Hard To Get On

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthCarolinaDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I used to dive every weekend for years and always used a 5mm wetsuit. Took a few years off and decided it was time to get back to it. This time around I bought a 7mm wetsuit. It is incredibly hard to put on. I had to use lubrication all over me to get it on. Water based lube of course. I never had an issue with a 5mm suit. It would slide right on, no lube. Why is the 7mm so much harder to get on?

I just found another thread asking the same question. One of the responders had a link to some lube that comes in a spray bottle. I went ahead and ordered a bottle. They had a video of how to apply it and it seems to work pretty good. It’s called suite slide and it’s sold through Mako Spearguns. I bought the 7mm because I dive in lakes a lot and it gets cold when you go down to 40m. The 5mm was fine for more shallow dives.

I agree I bought a Xcell 7/6 its too hard to put on, but the 5/4 is great. So unless I am diving Antarctica I use a homemade electric heater with either a 3/4 or 5/4 and my problems got solved. I didn't want to go dry suit, tried this first and was happy. Now I have the equivalent of a 12mm suit.

Put plastic shopping bags on your feet and hands first.
Tried that too. It did help slip through the openings but from there on it was still very hard. The lube worked though but it was still a lot of work. I believe this new Suite Slide lube I just ordered should help. On their website they go over how a closed cell wetsuit is easier to put on than an open cell wetsuit. I believe that may be why I had no trouble at all getting the 5mm on. Just guessing though.

One tip from using open-cell wetsuits, which are sticky on the inside: get a thermos of hot water mixed with some conditioner and pour into your suit before donning: you will slide in fine, and as a bonus your suit will be warm.

Open-cell suits have no lining on the inside so the neoprene of the suit sticks to the skin: incredibly warm, but also impossible to get into without the trick above.

Edit: is your 7mm open cell or closed cell?

when older bones can't pull as hard you get a bigger suit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom