New 119 on the way!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall:
If the tank is stickered at 32% and I ask for a top-off with Air, I don't understand why they should care. they could analyze and verify before the fill, or refuse to top it off.
It depends entirely on the shop. I have seen shops refuse to put OCA into a partially full Nitrox tank, even when the resulting mix would still be Nitrox. I guess it's a "principle" thing. As I stated above, I'm not a big fan of that practice myself - for a variety of reasons, I tend to prefer straight 32% over an air-topped "mix du jour". I know that sort of thing happens all the time however, and have heard all kinds of interesting explanations about why it is "dangerous".

DIR-Atlanta:
It depends entirely on the shop. I have seen shops refuse to put OCA into a partially full Nitrox tank, even when the resulting mix would still be Nitrox. I guess it's a "principle" thing. As I stated above, I'm not a big fan of that practice myself - for a variety of reasons, I tend to prefer straight 32% over an air-topped "mix du jour". I know that sort of thing happens all the time however, and have heard all kinds of interesting explanations about why it is "dangerous".
I know of NO danger in toping off a NITROX tank with air as long as the fill person knows what is in the tank. Thats the way You make NITROX is adding air to O2. If You need to adjust Your mix You also add air.

algulfdiver:
I know of NO danger in toping off a NITROX tank with air as long as the fill person knows what is in the tank. Thats the way You make NITROX is adding air to O2. If You need to adjust Your mix You also add air.
I know that and you know that, but apparently that knowledge is not universal. Admittedly, it's less of a problem now that Nitrox is more universally accepted and understood by shops. There's still a lot of misinformation out there, though. And of course now we are starting to see the same thing all over again with Trimix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom