NetDoc needs YOUR help with his ITC...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Netdoc,
For pool presentations, you must talk less and do more. IMO, you should state your value in fewer words, as fun as that one might be. Your goal, or objective as stated above should be shorter: "by the end of this exercise, you will be able to clear your regulator completely of water in one breath." Boring, maybe, but it fits the formula, and that's what you have to master.
Sequence is good. Do you plan to have a hand on the student during this skill (I would). If so, tell them you'll be holding their BC so they're not surprised. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Neil
(as of last week, a new NAUI instuctor trainer, yay!)

Pete,

I believe most of your students will be Boy Scouts. They've never heard of Sea Hunt. MB actually has a few episodes on tape, so you're OK with your audience today, but with the Scouts........

"never occlude"

Drop any word that a third grader won't understand unless you define it, especially when it's a word that can stop them from killing themselves.

Good Luck and give Jo a kiss for me.

Your going to make a great instructor :D
With your sense of humor that comes through your posts
and your love of the sport.. No Worrys!
Good luck today :)

I'm not an instructor, in fact I'm a pretty newly certified OW diver. So, I have no experience teaching SCUBA to folks

That being said, from my experience teaching adults other things it's easy to lose people with vocabulary. Folks will ask questions about new concepts if they feel comfortable enough....but a lot of folks won't ask if they don't understand the vocab....I guess it makes them feel dumb.

Oh and FWIW...I like your intro:)

Remarks about your lecture-

- Try and find an example from your diving history, where your regulator was kicked out of your mouth, instead of just telling about the posibility of it. If you dont really have a god one, invent one. While in this particular case it may not change your grade, the ITs will like it better.

- Ask questions of your audience, make them take part in the lectur, so they will be more interested. for example- Ask them how they cope with snorkel clearing. Than go on to say it's practically the same.

- While it is good parcatice to incorporate new signals in the classroom, try to avoid the whole subject of exactly what to do, better to go over it in the pre-dive briefing. Try to simplify it-7 steps is way to much. Or- you can bring a regulator to class, show what to do, let one try, and tell the rest they will do it before the dive.

-put a watch on the desk infront of you, and keep track of time. If you need to- cut things short.

- Give more emphasis on the bubbles- make them repeat "Never hold your breath" , reffering to your previouse lecture and the importance of "alwais breathing".

p.s-dont you worry one little bit about all of it!!!
It is ususaly this way-bad grades when starting, and than getting to understand how to do it (the way the IT wants to hear it) and getting much better results. In my course, at the start I had the lowest grades, but in tests I had the highest grades.

BTW- what agency's course are you taking? PADI or NAUI?

Well my friend, how did it go? Eagerly awaiting news.

It went rather well... better than I expected in some areas, like passing ALL of the watermanship skills on one try, and not as well in other areas, like getting 2s on both of my presentations. They really liked my pool presentation, and the only reason I got a 2 was because of *MY* habit of grabbing the second stage by the body and not the hose. They felt I just introduced many hours of coaching by that one mistake.

I took the NAUI Master Diver quiz... I didn't know about it and didn't prepare for it and still scored a 93. Since we did not get many wrong in the physics area (I didn't miss any) he skipped the physics lecture and let us take the physics test... I got an 88 which I was sorta not pleased with, but it was passing so I don't have to take it during the ITC. Apparently they give it more as a practice as many, many fail it. 2/3 of us taking the quiz today passed it easily.

The board of review really helped me to finish the Prep course with a good attitude. It was very positive and more helpful than the reviews after each of the presentations. Some of my difficulties in doing this come from me being PADI trained and switching over to a slightly different approach. Another thing they questioned me in the pool was me teaching to put the tip of my tongue on the roof of my mouth while making the first breath. It's not a NAUI thing, but they all saw the value in it after I showed them how. I DEFINITELY recommend the pre-course before the ITC. I am glad to get some of these procedural items out of the way before I get started.

NetDoc,

Why is grabbing the 2nd stage body a mistake? I've not heard that before.

I'm surprised they had not heard of the tongue on the roof of the mouth. I guess that proves everybody can learn something new.

I've taken the NAUI master diver test but will have to take it over since it seems to disappeared off the face of the earth after my first AI instructor died.

Wondering if anyone in the class passed all the presentations?

Originally posted by NetDoc
It went rather well... better than I expected in some areas, like passing ALL of the watermanship skills on one try, and not as well in other areas, like getting 2s on both of my presentations. They really liked my pool presentation, and the only reason I got a 2 was because of *MY* habit of grabbing the second stage by the body and not the hose. They felt I just introduced many hours of coaching by that one mistake. ...

Congrats on getting through the skills, and the exam(s). you should be proud of your accomplishments.

I'll ding you for grabbing the hose and not the body, but neither method is required in the standards of either agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom