Trip Report Anthony's Key: Eat, Sleep, Dive, Repeat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the detailed report on the resort. I'm am going there in May and seeing the layout and understanding the mechanics of their operation is so helpful!

After inquiring of AKR, they don't provide bottled water, so you must bring your own reusable bottle and refill it at the watering stations. No problem except if you need more than one bottle of water in your room at a time. I read on Tripadvisor that they provide an empty acrylic jug for self-refills. Was that your experience?

Are their electric outlets U.S. compatible?

Yes it was. There are plenty of filling stations throughout the resort, and easy access to ice. It worked quite well, and I was glad we weren’t contributing more empty plastic bottles to the waste.

No electrical issues either. All of our chargers/devices worked just fine.

Thanks for the detailed report on the resort. I'm am going there in May and seeing the layout and understanding the mechanics of their operation is so helpful!

After inquiring of AKR, they don't provide bottled water, so you must bring your own reusable bottle and refill it at the watering stations. No problem except if you need more than one bottle of water in your room at a time. I read on Tripadvisor that they provide an empty acrylic jug for self-refills. Was that your experience?

Are their electric outlets U.S. compatible?
The water throughout the resort is potable. They run their own filtration/sterilization system. Never had a squeak or squirt. That included drinking from the tap in the room. (Timmy at the bar can hook you up with some paper cups...)

Bottled water IS available in their gift shop, but it could get 'spensive.

Yes, all outlets worked fine for anything US standard.

I'll be back in mid-late June.

OMMOHY

I did coca view in 2010. First time to warm clear water and first (and so far only) purely dive vacation.

5 dives a day, yup nitrox starts to shine.

I would love to go back but the prices now are outrageous. When I went all meals, dives, nitrox and plane ticket so everything was under 2k.

AKR is bumping up prices a little as activity is picking up. I booked a few weeks back and it was still 50% off for all of 2022 (and 2023). That seems to have ended now and their rates for the fall season are $100 more than I just booked at for the prime season. ($1,349 vs $1,249 for the Key Superior bungalow). Add $260 for tax and $140 for nitrox and 200 for tips, yeah, you're right at $2000. Add booze and airfare...

If it was 2010 when you were there all-in for < $2,000, then even if it cranks up to 3,000, it's still not THAT outrageous (if you index $2,000 from 2010 to 2022 inflation index, that's about $2,650. And with inflation biting everybody's ass now, I can't blame AKR for inching up).

OMMOHY

When I checked it was 2019, 4.5k if I remember right for coco view, not surprising if cheaper now as trying to make up for 2020 and last year.

When I checked it was 2019, 4.5k if I remember right for coco view, not surprising if cheaper now as trying to make up for 2020 and last year.
See you at AKR in June, then?

OMMOHY

Just to give you a point of recent reference, I finished tallying up my Grand Total of expenses for this trip. And I mean

Oops... Didn't mean to do that...

...and I mean GRAND TOTAL, including flying from Boston, dinner in the North End the night before the flight, lodging the night before, parking for the week, Nitrox upgrade ($161 for the week), photo package, tips, a modest bar tab...everything imaginable...and it came to just under $3,000.

This is probably the best money I have spent in several years. I would go back now but I have to scratch out a living. I am already plotting the sequel.

Go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom