Nerd and petrel vs 2 petrel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't like the nerd. Obtrusive and annoying. Hud on the other hand I love. My eyes are going south as I've passed 45 and it can be hard to read my computer quickly at times since I have to find the perfect focal distance for my reader inserts in the mask to work. The hud I can see just fine and looking at the petrel is really only necessary for the other info besides p02.
A nerd is expensive. There's no way in hell I would order one without trying it first. I would've lost money had I bought one without trying because I really don't like it at all

I love my NERD. I'm a photographer, and I don't find it even a little obtrusive. Plus, nice to have backup deco information that is based on your actual PO2, instead of a standalone unit.

Finally, when you are taking photos, sometimes you want to just glance quickly at your PO2 display. With the Smithers code on the HUD, I rememberd how annoying I found it to have to wait a few seconds for that info. A minor point, I guess...

I had my NERD 1 for about 7 years, it worked great. Just stopped working this week, on it's way back to Shearwater to see if I can get any more life out of it. Had to go back to the HUD and Petrel for my dive on Sunday, I really missed it.

If you price it out with/without NERD2, what's the price difference? If it's anywhere close to $2k, then you always have the option of adding it separately later.

As far as HUD vs NERD, I'm with @doctormike it has the same information as you Petrel, you can use it as a backup deco computer, but it will not run your electronics. If memory serves the rEvo only has a single DiveCAN controller bus, so the second unit is a monitor. Which means if you have the hCCR unit and lose the Petrel (controller) you'll have to fly manually. But some people prefer that and have the eCCR as just a backup.

If I were specing out a rEvo III right now it would be Petrel 3 + NERD 2. Cheers :)

If I were specing out a rEvo III right now it would be Petrel 3 + NERD 2. Cheers :)
Petrel 3 has haptics, right? Would consider swapping that for my controller...

JJ has their own version of the Petrel controller, so I don't think you can adapt a stock Petrel. Maybe JJ will follow rEvo and make that happen?

In the meantime, anyone have a DiveCAN NERD 1 that they are sick of?

The bracket that mounts the NERD to the loop, as it comes stock is isn't that good. But you are expected to bend and modify it. A little goes a long way. Doing that will put it in the right place for you. I did a bunch of dry dives in the living room with just the mask and loop to work the NERD mounting bracket into shape, and a few more in the water.

I am right eye dominate, have the NERD on the left eye. Petrel on the right wrist. This way either eye had access to information. I tried them both on one side once, didn't like having to look around the NERD to see the Petrel.

Petrel 3 has haptics, right? Would consider swapping that for my controller...

JJ has their own version of the Petrel controller, so I don't think you can adapt a stock Petrel. Maybe JJ will follow rEvo and make that happen?

In the meantime, anyone have a DiveCAN NERD 1 that they are sick of?
Correct, they do...
1659493148828.png

Source/info:

I agree with broncobowsher. I use a Nerd2 as my backup to my Petrel2 controller. I did make a bracket to move the Nerd to the far left of my vision of my left eye (right eye dominant) it still is easy to pick up in my vision and allows an unobstructed view of my go pro video filming. The Nerd monitors two of my 5 sensors and my 2 transmitters for gas. I am really happy with this setup and have dove it for several years.
The bracket that mounts the NERD to the loop, as it comes stock is isn't that good. But you are expected to bend and modify it. A little goes a long way. Doing that will put it in the right place for you. I did a bunch of dry dives in the living room with just the mask and loop to work the NERD mounting bracket into shape, and a few more in the water.

I am right eye dominate, have the NERD on the left eye. Petrel on the right wrist. This way either eye had access to information. I tried them both on one side once, didn't like having to look around the NERD to see the Petrel.

I'm not sure which side for nerd and which for petrel yet.

I'm right eye dominant though

Try them all. That's what I used a bunch of my first dives for. Training got you safe. Practice gets you dialed in. Find what works, and what doesn't. Just be safe figuring it out.

Nerd and Petrel every time.

The Nerd is staggeringly convenient. The information's there all the time without needing to move your arms. On the Revo there's two cells monitored on the Nerd and three on the Petrel Controller. This means if you move your arm into view, you can easily see all 5 cells for verification.

Navigation is where the Nerd really comes into its own. Turn on the compass and it's there; no special contortions, it's just in front of you. Even I can swim in a straight line on a bearing. It's especially good if doing a search pattern, be that square or taking a line for a circular walk.

I've also got a couple of AI transmitters (yellow and grey) to read and record the gas used. Brilliant for back-referencing how much was consumed.

The Nerd is not so useful when bailed out. It's actually quite hard to use -- I unclip it from the loop. So if bailing out, it's best to run the deco on the Petrel, but make sure the Nerd's been switched to BO mode.

Most warnings and danger signals show up as inverted flashing red; this should be visible even if the visibility's v.poor. If push came to shove, you could unclip the nerd and put it straight against the face plate of the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom