Neptune Space FFM Questions....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAlpha

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing the Neptune Space FFM and possibly a GSM kit later. I have searched these forums and found many answers to the majority of my questions, however a few still remain. For instance:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Spacefullface
http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp_Category_124_page_1_recs_45 <-First Link

In the scuba.com listing it says 2nd stage is included and they try to sell you a first stage. Is this included in the scubatoys listing? I imagine not since this is a $200 piece. So what would I exactly breathe through? Is the reg not connected to the first stage? I guess I am just kinda confused here. Another question is what are people so against FFM? I saw the complaints about the safety and such... But any direct downfall of the Neptune series?

TheAlpha:
I am considering purchasing the Neptune Space FFM and possibly a GSM kit later. I have searched these forums and found many answers to the majority of my questions, however a few still remain. For instance:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Spacefullface
http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp_Category_124_page_1_recs_45 <-First Link

In the scuba.com listing it says 2nd stage is included and they try to sell you a first stage. Is this included in the scubatoys listing? I imagine not since this is a $200 piece. So what would I exactly breathe through? Is the reg not connected to the first stage? I guess I am just kinda confused here. Another question is what are people so against FFM? I saw the complaints about the safety and such... But any direct downfall of the Neptune series?

Let's see... Poor design, low quality and poor design... There, three things... Have you looked at any other FFMs? What made you decide on that mask? Not all full face masks are created equal. There are good applications for FFMs. Three reasons to dive one: Environmental, physiological and communications. The OR was a gas mask adapted to diving and not very well at that. If you're sold on that mask, try e-bay. Quite often you'll find some there that only have a few dives on them, once the owners figured out what they have.

Thanks for the reply. Is your opinion from experience or word of mouth? What about the 1st/2nd stage thing? Could someone please explain that.... Thanks again.

You can get an optional first stage, it's not included unless specified. What first stage do you have now? You can use your existing first stage with no problems.

Go to amron international and order a Kerby Morgan M48 Supermask. It comes with a 2nd stage if you want or use your own. It is designed for SCUBA diving and has a removable mouth section that the 2nd stage is on so that you can either breath on the surfce and talk or switch to a redundant air source underwater. Try that with the OR or any other full face mask. Price is steep, around $400-$500 but it is well worth it. Your other choices for a real full face mask are the AGA built by Drager or the Kirby Morgan EXO-26. Both must be removed to switch to an alt. air source at depth in an emergency.

muddiver:
Go to amron international and order a Kerby Morgan M48 Supermask. It comes with a 2nd stage if you want or use your own. It is designed for SCUBA diving and has a removable mouth section that the 2nd stage is on so that you can either breath on the surfce and talk or switch to a redundant air source underwater. Try that with the OR or any other full face mask. Price is steep, around $400-$500 but it is well worth it. Your other choices for a real full face mask are the AGA built by Drager or the Kirby Morgan EXO-26. Both must be removed to switch to an alt. air source at depth in an emergency.

Actually the AGA (Divator MKII) mask is manufactured by Interspiro. Dragger makes the Nova.

Ok, I stand corrected. It's still not a good recreational SCUBA mask.

muddiver:
Ok, I stand corrected. It's still not a good recreational SCUBA mask.

By "it", I assume you mean the Ocean Reef mask.

my goodness so much misinformation from people who never dived the mask.

Ocean Reef performs fine and diving is much easier than without one as long as you know how to clear/equalize it.... most people don't know how to use one and hence the resulting opinions. It works fine with any reg, I have used it with my mk25 and mk2

As a matter of fact I have spoken to people who dived in the Arctic w/ Interspiro nad hated it vs. Ocean Reef (spec. they did not like the AGA nose piece). At any rate I am also planing on purchasing AGA and Drager for comparison and for CCR use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom