Neoprene to Shell Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently own a Neoprene Drysuit and with the undergarment, hood, dry gloves, etc...I require darn near close to 40lbs to be properly weighted.

I am thinking about making the move over to DUI and looking at their weighting chart (knowing its a rough estimate)...with their 400g Thinsulate I am still looking at 30+ lb of weight....which just sucks....

Is this reality? Can anyone who owns a CF200, 350, 50/50 or 450 that uses DUI's 200G or 400G Divewear chime in with their weighting requirements..I'm curious...

Thanks,

JEEP SUCKER

jepuskar:
I currently own a Neoprene Drysuit and with the undergarment, hood, dry gloves, etc...I require darn near close to 40lbs to be properly weighted.

I am thinking about making the move over to DUI and looking at their weighting chart (knowing its a rough estimate)...with their 400g Thinsulate I am still looking at 30+ lb of weight....which just sucks....

Is this reality? Can anyone who owns a CF200, 350, 50/50 or 450 that uses DUI's 200G or 400G Divewear chime in with their weighting requirements..I'm curious...

Thanks,

JEEP SUCKER

I dive a 350 with their 300 Polartech (which is really 2 X 150). I dive with 8 pounds of lead on a Halcyon BP/W.

I did two dives on their 200 g Thinsulate - froze my tucas off in 52 degree water. Not impressed. I didn't change weighting and I was fine.

I'm 5-8, 165 - 170 with a 14 - 16% BMI. I'm a little soft, but not doughboy esque. I can't imagine a young fit guy like you needing 40 pounds. Do you dive an AL80? I dive the e8 130 - that probably helps.

When I was in PNW in Fall, diving the same set up (130 tank, 350 suit, 300 polartech) The water was colder, and I remember adding 4 pounds. So that took me to 12 with the BP/W.

---
Ken

I went from a unisuit, 7mm, which I didn't really have to wear undergarments to a DC Z-Flex where I'm still dialing the garment issue in. From a weight stand point I'm currently using about the same. I could get by with a little less. One thing I did though was go from a soft weight belt to a DUI weight harness. Is that ever nice. Carrying the same weight feels like less.

Jim

I dive a CLX450, 300 polartec. Im 5' 11" and weigh 205, and use 20 lbs in SW.

I am 170 lb 5'11 use cf200 transpak w/rec wing 400 g undergarment with alum 80 24lbs ..With a steel 95 or 100 use 18/20 lbs salt water..

I can't speak to those suits but I'll reinforce the DUI weight harness. it makes it a lot easier to carry and position. With no chance of slipping from your hips it's safer too.

I'm 5-10, 205lb and dive dry in a 7mm Atlan and a Bare T-100 undergarment. With steel tanks in salt water I'm needing 50 pounds! I may get it down a bit but I don't expect dropping much more than 4 pounds. Some of it is the price admission to cold water diving. A shell suit will let you minimize trapped gas whatever the form and this will let you wear less weight, this will be at the cost of warmth.

You need to balance your desire for warmth with you aversion to weight. I am very comfortable to 37F so far and the weight is barely noticable in the water. I run little injected air in my suit.

Pete

Im 170 lbs 5'10 Dive a shell Dry Suit undergarment is a Bare CT200, dry gloves, hood.
Im currently dive 28lbs of lead unless its say a dive to 25 ft or less. This is freshwater.
Typically use al80 but dont change anything when using a steel.

Ok, this helps me gauge a little. Yes, I do dive AL80's and I do require about...no wait a minute....that was with a BC....with my SS BP....I need about 34 and I do use the DUI weight harness already..... I've tried to cut that number down, but its just not happening...once below 15 feet I'm ok obviously...but doing a safety stop is not comfortable so thats no good.

I may rent a DUI..dont want to wait till Dog days...and see what happens..

Thanks though...I think there is hope. :)

jepuskar:
Ok, this helps me gauge a little. Yes, I do dive AL80's and I do require about...no wait a minute....that was with a BC....with my SS BP....I need about 34 and I do use the DUI weight harness already..... I've tried to cut that number down, but its just not happening...once below 15 feet I'm ok obviously...but doing a safety stop is not comfortable so thats no good.

I may rent a DUI..dont want to wait till Dog days...and see what happens..

Thanks though...I think there is hope. :)
Dude... you need steel tanks. That will definitely change your picture by about 6-8 Lbs.

I dive a CLX 450 - but I only wear fleece pants (not sure of the weight I use em for skiing) and a moderate fleece top. I only need 18 Lbs with my steel tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom