Neoprene Socks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

holophonervirtuoso

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have my open water dives next weekend here in Minnesota, and I got a call from my LDS letting me know lake temperatures are colder than usual this year. The problem is, my fins are open heal, but do not accommodate booties. I would really love some sort of insulating footwear if possible if the lake is 60 degrees. I found some 3mm Neoprene Socks and wondered if this was a worthwhile possibility. Has anyone used these? Are they worth it? Unfortunately, I don't think buying new fins/boots is in the budget at the moment.

You can often find cheap neoprene socks at Walmart in the hunting/fishing section, dirt cheap. OK they probably aren't genuine compression resistant dive neoprene, but will work fine for your purposes, an occasional colder water dive in warm water snorkle fins. For that matter, in my penurious youth, we used to use a pair of wool socks - I've used them with snorkle fins in 50 degree water, not as good a neoprene, but a heck of a lot better than nothing.

I have my open water dives next weekend here in Minnesota, and I got a call from my LDS letting me know lake temperatures are colder than usual this year. The problem is, my fins are open heal, but do not accommodate booties. I would really love some sort of insulating footwear if possible if the lake is 60 degrees. I found some 3mm Neoprene Socks and wondered if this was a worthwhile possibility. Has anyone used these? Are they worth it? Unfortunately, I don't think buying new fins/boots is in the budget at the moment.

Neoprene socks can do a lot to improve the performance of booties. In this case you need to get into the right gear. Rent or buy booties and fins appropriate for your diving. Your instructor should allow no less. I'd be willing to bet you will drop well below 60F if you go to any significant depth in fresh water.

If renting and buying is out of the question then I agree that the alternatives are better than nothing. You will have short dives and adenaline on your side.

Pete

Taking up Oxyhacker's point about wool socks, it's possible to wear them, or any other hosiery of varying thickness for that matter, underneath waterproof latex drysocks, which seal against the legs:

sock.JPG
Wessex Watersports

In the States, OS Systems sell them as "ankle socks":

dls-6at.gif
OS SYSTEMS - The Drysuit People, Seals

INteresting where do you get them? Has anyone used them and can you give feedback?

I use a pr of 2mm Neoprene socks from cabelas under my booties. They fit me snug and I like the warming qualities and also that they take up some room in my boots which allows for less of the water balloon feeling after getting out of the water. I think mine were like 15 or so shipped.

Here ya go.

I add the neoprene socks in the swing seasons between summers best and diving dry. Without a doubt they add a good bit of warmth. Some is the extra thickness and some is the layering. The addition of anything will snug up the wetsuit cuff a bit more and that alone will help.

Though at $30 to $70 a pair plus shipping as opposed to $9 for some Walmart neoprene socks or $15 for diveshop ones they are hardly the low buck solution.

Actually wool works pretty good just by itself, if it is tight enough not to balloon out as it gets wet - not usually a problem with socks in fins.

For more warmth, pull a plastic bag over the socks and duct tape the ankles. This probably won't keep them dry but will limit the exchange of new water, so that the wool socks will peform very much like a wetsuit. A useful kludge if you forget your booties but my vote would still be for cheap neoprene socks.

Taking up Oxyhacker's point about wool socks, it's possible to wear them, or any other hosiery of varying thickness for that matter, underneath waterproof latex drysocks, which seal against the legs:

If you can fit 3mm socks in your fins you might be able to fit 3mm tropical booties, which can be pretty inexpensive. Look for a version with a soft sole rather than the sneaker style, cheaper and they don't take up so much room. And of course look for a pair that comes up higher rather than the low cut style. Advantage to this would be that they're more durable, if you walk at all in neoprene socks you'll trash them quickly. Something like Pinnacle Stealth Fin Sock 3mm from LeisurePro.com or Blue Reef 3MM Neoprene Dive Slipper from LeisurePro.com.

>INteresting where do you get them? Has anyone used them and can you give feedback?<

If you're referring to the drysocks, bowlofpetunias, you can get them from Wessex Watersports in the UK and OS Systems or Barts Water Sports in the US. Unfortunately, I've never seen them among the offerings of Australian diving equipment online retailers.

Wessex Watersports
OS SYSTEMS - The Drysuit People, Seals
Drysuit Booties and Gloves

I've snorkelled with the Wessex Watersports ones, wearing cotton socks underneath and full-foot fins over them. Because of their thinness, they were comfortable to wear with fins and completely waterproof, so my feet were dry afterwards. They work on the same principle as drysuit-attached latex socks, but have narrow openings which seal against the legs. The downside is their fragility when walking. I've only ever worn them when snorkelling from sandy beaches.

Back
Top Bottom