How flexible are neoprene drysuit socks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
So apparently my suit has sprung a leak in the boot on the prosthetic side. Likely from friction or stretching it while inserting my prosthetic. I currently use the Superflex boots. EE is patching it up, so I am good for a while.

I am thinking that perhaps switching to a neoprene sock might help. Can they stretch more while putting up on than the boot style? Obviously I will have to get shoes to go over it, and have to bring a long shoe horn to get it into them.

Not my first preference as the annoyance of dealing with the shoes in summer heat but I would rather eliminate an issue than deal with leaks.

How much stretch would you need to get over the fake foot? My socks are pretty stretchy and are a bit bigger than my foot to ensure room for socks. I'm assuming the ankle intersection is the concern but it should be at least similar to the boot.

Yeah neoprene socks of the type you have in dry suits that you use the rock boots with are pretty stretchy, nothing like as rigid as a drysuit built in boot. I’d imagine it would work pretty well with a prosthetic.

How much stretch would you need to get over the fake foot? My socks are pretty stretchy and are a bit bigger than my foot to ensure room for socks. I'm assuming the ankle intersection is the concern but it should be at least similar to the boot.

I suppose I can oversize the one side and then use the rock boots to keep too much air from entering.

But yeah the issue is the ankle being solid, so getting it in involves a big stretch for it to make the turn.

I got about three years out of my current boots so I am hoping this repair lasts a while, but I know that wear leaks like that once they start they have a tendency to reappear faster.

The socks on my DUI CF200X are fairly stiff. If I had to get them over a prosthetic I would probably see if DUI could build me a custom oversized sock without any ankle articulation so there is no bend to negotiate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom