Neoprene lift

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

surfsidedav

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a search I didn't really come up with anything. I was curious if there's a basic guide as to how much buoyancy a particular thickness/size of wet suit would have. The only consistent way I could think of was measuring suits to see how much a particular suit weighs vs. how much weight is needed to sink it. Use that to come up with an average of ounces of weight vs. ounces of neoprene. Just thought this might be handy if you switch from say a 3 mil to a 5 mil during the winter, to get a close ballpark figure.

After a search I didn't really come up with anything. I was curious if there's a basic guide as to how much buoyancy a particular thickness/size of wet suit would have. The only consistent way I could think of was measuring suits to see how much a particular suit weighs vs. how much weight is needed to sink it. Use that to come up with an average of ounces of weight vs. ounces of neoprene. Just thought this might be handy if you switch from say a 3 mil to a 5 mil during the winter, to get a close ballpark figure.

No "basic guide", no universal exposure suit buoyancy cross reference either.

Not all neo is the same, different density etc. "Super Stretch" does not equal Rubatex etc.

Not all "3mm" is actually 3 mm thick, not all "5mm" is 5 mm thick. Does that include the fabric too? Maybe, maybe not.

Not all suits are cut the same.

Neoprene changes (takes a permanent set) with each use.

No short cuts to a real live ballast check.

Tobin

I'm not sure how to accomplish the task but wouldn't the world be so much nicer if Wetsuit manufacturers posted the buoyancy of each suit along with their size chart? Sorry I think like an Engineer, occupational hazard.

I have done this by trial and error with the wet suits that I wear (3mil, 5mil, 7mil) and I record the weights for future use, both salt and fresh. For me this has worked out to 2lbs. per mil thus adding 4lbs. to move from a 3mil to a 5mil and 4 more lbs to move from the 5mil to the 7mil.

I'm not sure how to accomplish the task but wouldn't the world be so much nicer if Wetsuit manufacturers posted the buoyancy of each suit along with their size chart? Sorry I think like an Engineer, occupational hazard.

It would be nice, but not practical.

Not only would each size of a given model have different bouyancy, due to more or less material being used, but also any given suit, once it put on by a diver will stretch/deform a bit, slightly changing its displacement.

The only way to get weighting "just right" is by doing a bouyancy/weight check in the water.

It would be nice, but not practical.

Not only would each size of a given model have different bouyancy, due to more or less material being used, but also any given suit, once it put on by a diver will stretch/deform a bit, slightly changing its displacement.

The only way to get weighting "just right" is by doing a bouyancy/weight check in the water.

True, which is why I was thinking that for a given weight of neoprene, whether it be in the form of a 7 mil XL, or a 3 mil shorty, that particular weight would correspond to x-amount of lead. This assuming, of course, the individual has on the correct sized suit.

I'm big on theory, too, so I can relate, but theory takes you only so far. When I switched from a BC to a BP/W and tried to figure out how much wing lift I would need, I spent a couple of hours in my pool and determined the buoyancy of every single piece of equipment I have. Yes, down to the gloves and the light. :D I made a list and based my weighting configuration on that. And guess what? The first time I tried my new setup in the water, all my charts and numbers were out the window. Not even close. What have I learned from this? By the time I have figured out stuff like this "in theory", I have tried it in the water, gotten a reliable result and have a couple of hours to spare and have a beer. :wink:

I'm big on theory, too, so I can relate, but theory takes you only so far. When I switched from a BC to a BP/W and tried to figure out how much wing lift I would need, I spent a couple of hours in my pool and determined the buoyancy of every single piece of equipment I have. Yes, down to the gloves and the light. :D I made a list and based my weighting configuration on that. And guess what? The first time I tried my new setup in the water, all my charts and numbers were out the window. Not even close. What have I learned from this? By the time I have figured out stuff like this "in theory", I have tried it in the water, gotten a reliable result and have a couple of hours to spare and have a beer. :wink:
We do that with every one of our students. It works fine (if fine is within a couple of lbs and having them focused on the importance of proper weighting), but you must take great care to deal with trapped air both when the gear is off and when it is on. Remember, it only takes a pint of air to put you off by a pound of lead.

I know, I know. All the theory in the world isn't the same as doing it. But the part that really hits home, is the part about cutting into beer time.:shocked2: We just can't allow that to happen, can we?:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom