Neoprene and Shell Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonMurray

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am trying different dry suits before I take the plunge and I need some basic info on drysuit types and how thy should fit.

I tried a shell type drysuit (DUI) and it fit rather baggy. I expected this and didn't think too much of it. Wore a heavy undergarment with it.

However, tonight I tried on a neoprene drysuit. It fit much tighter than the shell suit. Is this normal? I doubt I could ever had worn much of an undergarment with the neoprene suit. Should it fit like this? Not as tight as a dry suit but nothing at all like a shell.

Also, any secrets to getting into and out of a back entry neoprene drysuit? I don't want to tear it up, but getting it on and off was a real chore. Not much different than a wetsuit.

Thanks for your advice...

A neoprene suit is supposed to fit tighter. You use a thinner undergarment because the neoprene is warmer than a standard shell suit.

I wish I had an easy way to get in and out of a back entry. The easiest way is a helpful buddy.

A neoprene drysuit provides most of the insulation so you won't be wearing the big fluffy garment when using it. That means it can be cut a lot closer. The other factor is that neoprene can stretch to provide some extremes of motion. A laminate has no stretch so it needs to be cut to accommodate all motion as is.

If you are having a hard time getting into a back entry neoprene suit it may be too small.

This recent post may be helpful too.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom