Nemo Wide battery problems/leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Phil and Zak,

I took my Wide out for it's second trip this past weekend, and the battery was dead. Battery icon lit, and only stays on for a minute or two. Purchased from Scubatoys in early July.

I had a backup battery, and when I opened the case, it looked like there may have been a prior leak - some white powder, but no rust showing, in the battery compartment. I cleaned all, and replaced with a new battery, and took the chance to dive it. Worked fine on the two day trip.

What do you suggest?

Larry, from Scubatoys - if you're reading, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil and Zak,

I took my Wide out for it's second trip this past weekend, and the battery was dead. Battery icon lit, and only stays on for a minute or two. Purchased from Scubatoys in early July.

I had a backup battery, and when I opened the case, it looked like there may have been a prior leak - some white powder, but no rust showing, in the battery compartment. I cleaned all, and replaced with a new battery, and took the chance to dive it. Worked fine on the two day trip.

What do you suggest?

Larry, from Scubatoys - if you're reading, any suggestions?

Thanks,

If you don't get a good answer from either of them - shoot it back to us, we'll have the rep over to take a look, and we will repair or replace as needed - no worries.

If you don't get a good answer from either of them - shoot it back to us, we'll have the rep over to take a look, and we will repair or replace as needed - no worries.

Thanks guys - I know how much you stand behind your products and customers. I'll give Phil and Zak a few days to reply.

Oh hey... I just remembered... They had a big international sales meeting in Italy at their factory this week. My rep left 2 days ago, so if you do not get an answer from either of them in the next week - it's not that they are ignoring or avoiding you... they are under a bit of pressure with all day meetings for the next week and won't be on the boards probably.

If you have dives coming up quick before we can get you an answer, I've got some that work fine in our rental fleet, and I can shoot one out to you until we get your issue addressed. Just let me know.

Ricky,

As Scuba Toys mentioned we've been out of the country and had limited access to internet. Since you purchased from Scuba Toys, I'll assume it was brand new. Your computer has a 2 yr warranty against manufacturer defects. We do 100% testing on our computers and they are subjected to water during this test. I suppose it is possible that an oring was slightly pinched or?? which allowed a minute amount of moisture to enter. If you take the battery cover off after your two day dive trip and see that no water has entered, I'd venture to say you fixed it. If this is the case and it worked fine over the course of your trip, I would not be concerned about the computer. If there is water in the battery compartment we will obviously fix and or replace under warranty, no problem. Take a look and let me know. We want 100% satisfaction and I know Scuba Toys does as well. I'll keep my eyes out to read back.

Sincerely,

Thanks Zak, welcome back.

I popped off the cover, and all looks OK; no water or salt residue. I'll assume all is good for now. Spending a week in Cozumel in a few, so that will be a good test.

Phil or Zak,

I have a similar problem. Just got a replacement Nemo Wide, and on the first dive (night dive) the back-light wouldn't come one. After the dive, I took a look, and found the battery icon on (less than 20% battery) on a new computer. A friend had a replacement battery. I took the cover off, replaced the battery, and went to make sure the o-ring was good, and found it was defective. Not torn, but had a bump or "t-i-t" on it, and a very clean slice almost all the way through. After discussions, I decided not to risk using the computer due to possible flooding. So I dove the rest of the trip without a computer. Now that I am home, I've tried to find a replacement o-ring. I can't find any scuba dealers who mention the o-ring. It doesn't look too standard. Your web-site doesn't show it either. Any idea where I can get this o-ring? I've leaving for Bonaire in 10 days and will be really disappointed if I don't have a computer there!

Also, and idea of when the lens protector for this will be available in USA? I see it shows availability in Europe as of last November. (I found this during my search for an o-ring).

Phil or Zak,

I have a similar problem. Just got a replacement Nemo Wide, and on the first dive (night dive) the back-light wouldn't come one. After the dive, I took a look, and found the battery icon on (less than 20% battery) on a new computer. A friend had a replacement battery. I took the cover off, replaced the battery, and went to make sure the o-ring was good, and found it was defective. Not torn, but had a bump or "t-i-t" on it, and a very clean slice almost all the way through. After discussions, I decided not to risk using the computer due to possible flooding. So I dove the rest of the trip without a computer. Now that I am home, I've tried to find a replacement o-ring. I can't find any scuba dealers who mention the o-ring. It doesn't look too standard. Your web-site doesn't show it either. Any idea where I can get this o-ring? I've leaving for Bonaire in 10 days and will be really disappointed if I don't have a computer there!

Also, and idea of when the lens protector for this will be available in USA? I see it shows availability in Europe as of last November. (I found this during my search for an o-ring).

I spoke with our tech. I suggest you take it back to the store you purchased it from and exchange it for a new one. The store should then send it back to us under warranty and we will replace it to the store. This is a little outside the box, but you have some time constraints and this should get you back in the water with your new computer.

If you have any difficulties please let me know and I will request the district sales manager for CO get involved.

Sincerely,

Zak

Unfortunately, this was sent directly by your repair service as a replacement for a previous defective unit. Mr. Cook sent this to me directly, since the store I purchased the original computer from is in Texas. That store only arranged the RMA and permission for me to send the previous defective computer directly to your repair center (Mr. Cook).

I'm really hoping I can get a replacement o-ring without sending my computer back for another replacement.

Waterskier,

I will have a resolution for you tomorrow. You will be able to use "your" computer on your trip. Thanks for your patience.

Zak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom