Nekton Pilot Aug. 29 - Sept. 5 Northwest Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have to agree 100% with Shasta Man about St. Croix. Limited number of total fish, and species. Sometimes it was like being in a swimming pool. This ment I never took my Macro lens off my camera the whole trip. I hear the north shore diving in St. Croix can be good, but I undrstand that frequently that area is not possible due to weather. I felt that the Nekton trips out of Ft Lauderdale were better AND cheaper.

Last edited:
I would have to agree 100% with Shasta Man about St. Croix. Limited number of total fish, and species. This ment I never took my Macro lens of my camera the whole trip.

I shoot macro 99% of the time. Is it even worth bringing an UW camera if you have already dived a whole lot in the Caribbean?

Where do they let you go ashore?

Any good tips, there?

Roflmao! DebbieDiver, I want to be your roommate!!! We would do just fine. I've never been roomies with the PITA from hell, but I've met a few on trips (some diving, some not). But mostly, I would agree with other comments...divers are a fun group, very social, and we love to share stories, some true, others embellished, but entertaining for sure. And to follow the thread, I may have been PO'd about the way the cancellation was handled with Nekton, but I'm looking forward to my trip(s) with them. It will be what we make it. I've been on less than great dive boats, had less than great divemasters, I've had gear break, busted o-rings, leaking camera housings, bad viz, unfavorable conditions, and bad dive buddies, but never in 30+ years of diving have I ever once said, "I wish I weren't diving," or "that entire trip sucked." There is always something wonderful to see or an interesting person to talk to. Plus, we're a bunch of coonasses (Cajuns) from Louisiana, so we bring the party with us! Happy diving.

Pickerell, I wish you had been on my trip!!! :D

By the way, to the whole group in this thread, do not let the low number of posts fool you......

I shoot macro 99% of the time. Is it even worth bringing an UW camera if you have already dived a whole lot in the Caribbean?

Where do they let you go ashore?

Any good tips, there?

Bring your camera for the dives under the Fredrikstead pier. You can go ashore when at the pier, but I chose to dive instead. The passengers who did go ashore were not impressed. If you chose to do the St. Croix itinerary (I wouldn't if I were you :shakehead:), I would suggest not missing any of the pier dives, they were the best dives of the trip.

Doug!!!! How was the fishing? Say hello to Donna for me.
Hey D! How did the pup enjoy the week at the doggy spa? We had a great time with you and N last week. The fishing was not good, but we had a great time by the lake anyway (nothing like a booze-cruise at the end of the day to make up for bad fishing).
I will e-mail you when I get the exact dates for my Aquacat trip next year (sometime in May). Oh, tell N that it is "Her turn":D

Doug, I'm glad to see you are back and that you had great dives!!! I hope you'll post some pics!!! I'm still going through mine. How many dives did you make? Was Elie (young DM) still whining about all the work? He was the only crew member that I found to be somewhat negative. And even he really wasn't bad, just a contrast from the rest of the awesome, helpful, friendly, fun-loving crew.

You must be shocked at how your thread twisted and turned, what a soap opera!
We took it easy and only did 21 dives (We skipped most of the night dives, and enjoyed sipping on wine with dinner). Yes, Elie was there, and seemed to be fitting in nicely.

I have also heard the the pier is the only great dive on that itinerary...it seems odd to me to go on a liveaboard in order to do what is basically a shore dive!

Glad to hear Elie is doing better, he was really cool for most of the week, but he became a big whiny baby the last few days of our trip. He's a lot of fun, I'd like to see him succeed.

Back
Top Bottom