Nekton (Bad News)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call me whatever words you like but I take no joy in Nekton's demise because they were a local company that, at one time, contributed to the local economy in which I live. What happened to the company started long before the US economy tanked.

Nothing but a great business move on both their parts. :)

If you just look at the tax leans (www.sunbiz.org - Home) John Dixon had on his companies, they go way back before the US economy tanked.
This included :
Swacat Technologies Inc
Gulf County Shipbuilding Inc.
Nekton Diving Cruises LLC
Nekton Pilot LTD
Nekton Adventure Cruises Inc

we will chose a lower price over most all else

That certainly is the case for me--I had the misfortune of discovering this sport that I love but can barely afford, so I have to economize where I can and saving a couple of hundred dollars is important to me. So now I'm either going to have to eat the airfare costs, or pay more to go on another trip on a different boat. I guess this supports the old adage-"Penny wise but Pound foolish".

I'm sure that owners of dive-ops and liveaboards also understand one basic thing about us SCUBA consumers... we will chose a lower price over most all else. Luxury liveaboards have been tried before and the huge majority have failed...

Not even close. If that was true, the Truk Odyssey would be empty and the Thorfinn would always be full. It's the same reason there are ample six-packs to choose from here in S Florida that dock at the same marinas as the cattle boats that cost 20-25% less to dive with.

While some divers might just be cheap, others understand value and for the last five or so years, the Nekton has been providing Blackbeard's level of luxury and service at twice the Blackbeard's price. At least Blackbeard's interior doesn't smell like gym socks......

I spoke to Clay with Explorer Ventures today (in person since he's in Denver right now) and I asked if he thought they would be offering any discounts on their brand new Maldives boat launching in early 2011. He didn't think they would because several of their charters are already booked for that boat which runs approx $2,600-$3,800. So apparently liveaboards aren't doing all that bad. When we went on their June Bahamas trip last year, we were pretty close to full (maybe one cabin avail). I don't recall reading about ANY other liveaboards on here that are re-scheduling charters repeatedly, not paying their crew on time,etc.... If every company had similar methods, we would hear about those ones on here too and there would be just as much complaining.

I completely agree with Doug about your safety and a basic level of comfort being worth a little extra money. This can be different for everyone but If a veteran Nekton traveler like Doug changed his opinion, I don't know how you can diminish his experience.

I just can't envision being that close to so many people both top-side and underwater whilst diving on a live-aboard. I also could not contemplate a living area where the air conditioner may or may not work...:shocked2: I will be long gone before I exhaust all top-site accommodated diving opportunities...

I agree with Deepstops that in most areas you can locate a 6-pack operator provided you accomplish some research...

I just can't envision being that close to so many people both top-side and underwater whilst diving on a live-aboard. I also could not contemplate a living area where the air conditioner may or may not work...:shocked2: I will be long gone before I exhaust all top-site accommodated diving opportunities...

<snip>
Normally I would agree with you, but surprisingly, I found my only liveaboard to date quite tolerable.

Diving-wise, not everyone hits the water at the same time nor does all the scheduled dives so I never felt cramped while diving. Topside, there was quite a bit room to spread out on the top deck and some space adjacent to the dining area.

What I didn't care for was the dining area which was quite small and everyone had to eat at the same time so it was always packed. I can be shy around new people and I'm not good at small talk so I found mealtimes quite painful.

But, still hoping to do another liveaboard soon one day! :wink:

I think you hit it exactly, at least from "our" perspective, the customer.

I'm sure that owners of dive-ops and liveaboards also understand one basic thing about us SCUBA consumers... we will chose a lower price over most all else.

[snip]

Blackbeards? Price rules. It's always booked.

Actually, from what I've been told, Blackbeards isn't running all three of its boats because they are not filling them.

why? I don't know..... but maybe most people who are "cheap and want Blackbeards" also don't want to pay the extra airfare to get to the Bahamas after they relocated.

I agree with Deepstops that in most areas you can locate a 6-pack operator provided you accomplish some research...

The liveaboard's I've been on never had Air Conditioner problems, if anything, it worked "too well", especially at night. You'd better take a sweatshirt because it got cool below decks at night.

Never had an issue with the people on Liveboards either. even with "full boats". The first dive of the trip is about the only time that "everyone dives" and wants to get wet at once. so the dive deck can get a little crowded then, but not any worse than any boat that goes out to local wrecks. After that first initial dive, people spread out their dives some and it's not that crowded when the dive deck opens.

otherwise, some people go take a nap, some go inside, some go sit up on the bow, some hand out on the back deck, etc... so you rarely see everyone together at one time and have crowd issues, including at mealtime....

it's just not a problem, unless you make it one in your mind....

Valhalla, listen I HATE HATE HATE cattle boats, and I don't like to be crowded..BUT take it from a fellow Gator fan, If you have never done a liveaboard trip, and it is a financially viable option for you, do yourself a favor and try one (a nice one)! The only time I have felt crowded is on the first dive of the trip. Also if it gets crowded at dining times, there is usually somewhere else you can go and eat. The only liveaboard that I have been on with a recurrent A/C problem were the Nekton boats. The diving is so relaxing on a liveaboard it is addictive! The worst part about liveaboards is that now I can't get my wife to dive any other way!:confused4:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom