Nekton (Bad News)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you,

Yes, most of us are. I was on the May 15 trip and was able to catch a ride on the CE II that same week thanks to Clay and the good folks at Venture Explorers.

Nekton is not in a good situation at the moment. It's customer base is also saddled with the canceled cruises that they are not refunding. There are some angry customers out there!

I have been on the Rorqual before. I had a great time and was anxious to travel with them again; especially to the Medio reef. I'm out the money for the one cruise now and only hope that I can actually redeem the re-booking cruise let alone the free one being offered as compensation.

And it looks like they are getting out of the diving business with at least one of their boats.

Nekton Offshore > Home

Too bad, I quite liked the boats and enjoyed the trips with this company.

I don't think the offshore thing means they're necessarily getting the boat out of the dive biz any more than the for sale listing means they will sell for sure, or that anything is for sure. I would guess it's a matter of throwing all their options at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I don't think the offshore thing means they're necessarily getting the boat out of the dive biz any more than the for sale listing means they will sell for sure, or that anything is for sure. I would guess it's a matter of throwing all their options at the wall and seeing what sticks.

I think that above listing is just "one option" they are pursuing.

they've actively got the Nekton Pilot listed as "for sale" on other websites.

It's currently sitting in drydock in Port St Joe.

I think if someone rents it for oil rig platform work... they'll send it. If someone buys it.... then they'll take that also.

Either way it seems the likelyhood of the Pilot returning to the Nekton fleet for liveaboards isn't in the cards (just my opinion).

WTF? Why are they cancelling trips when they have working ship? Now I'm pissed again. Dang it, just got down off the ledge! :comeandgetsome:

I'm not sure the Pilot is in an operable state. I heard she went into the yard for a refit and Nekton didn't have funding to complete the job since Rorqual didn't generate enough revenue to fix Pilot and cover it's own expenses. With both boats in the yard (no income at all now), what are the chances of either of them returning under current ownership considering all the allegations of crew that weren't paid ontime??

They might also owe the yard on the refit and can't get it out...it would really be interesting to go over the real finances involved in a liveaboard to see what the cost is and what it would take to make it truly profitable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom