Nekton (Bad News)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very sad. I feel for those who probably lost money on their cruises and for employees who have lost jobs and now join the ranks of those looking for jobs. I am sure many of them had families to support. Personally, this saddens me a lot as well, as I spent a long time with the company and met a lot of wonderful people.

RE: Offer to Nekton clients

Hi all -

All of us at Explorer Ventures were were sad to hear about Nekton Diving Cruises going out of business. Though I never had the opportunity to go on John's boats, they've had many enthusiastic supporters over the years, and I'm sorry to see their relationship with their long-standing clients end this way.

In order to limit the losses to Nekton's upcoming clients who have sent them full or partial payment for their trips, I would like to make the following offer to anyone who may find themselves in that position:

1) If you've paid Nekton in full for your upcoming trip, we will offer a discount of 50% of the amount paid to Nekton on any of our Caribbean destinations, upon receipt of your payment records. Full payment of the balance would be due on reservation.

2) If you've paid a deposit only of up to 35% of the Nekton trip cost, we'll apply that deposit to final payment for space on any of our Caribbean itineraries, with immediate confirmation. Our normal booking terms (30% deposit) would apply to the trip, and the Nekton deposit would be taken off the final balance due.

3) Obviously this wouldn't apply to any current reservations you may have with us (sorry!), and no other discounts would apply.

In May/June we have the following spaces available:

May 29 Turks & Caicos - 10 available
June 5 Bahamas - 11 available
June 5 Turks & Caicos - 8 available
June 12 Turks & Caicos - 10 available
June 19 Turks & Caicos - 5 available
June 26 Bahamas - 11 available
June 26 Turks & Caicos - 6 available
July 3 Bahamas - 12 available
July 3 Turks & Caicos - 8 available

For further information please visit our website at Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving, or call us at 800-322-3577 or email info@explorerventures.com.

Best regards,

Clay

EVFleet, that is a great thing you are offering. Great way to try to help make lemonade out of lemons.

I'm glad that at least there's an official notice of Nekton going out of business instead of simply continuing the silence. For those that have travel insurance, at least they'll have some documentation to pursue claims. For those who didn't get travel insurance, it's amazing to see Explorer Ventures come forth with such an unexpected offer so people could have an incredibly generous discount and not only salvage their vacation, but be taken care of wonderfully by the Explorer Ventures folks.

Big kudos to Explorer Ventures, you've just moved to the top of my list for a future liveaboard!!

I didn’t lose anything with Nekton’s untimely demise, but I easily could have … My 23 year old son is graduating in July and I am planning to treat him to a dive vacation before he has to go out into the real world and get a job (with me along as his dive buddy :D )

Nekton was at the top of my list and I almost put down a deposit back in April; fortunately between the Tax Man and some questions as to whether graduation was going to be in July or Sept; I decided to wait until he actually gets the piece of paper to book anything … I think EA just moved to the top of my list when it comes time to book something!

I think Nekton also removed their Facebook page. Can anyone verify that?

Explorer Ventures is my new hero. I hope those guys get lots of business from their goodwill. I'm a travel agent specializing in dive travel, so I'll be recommending them. It takes a big man (or company, in this case) to step up to the plate when folks like Nekton screw it up. Nekton's actions are bad for the dive/liveaboard industry because it creates a level of distrust. Hopefully, EV's actions will restore people's faith that there are still really good companies out there.

I have only been on one Explorer Ventures boat to date (last June) but it won't be our last! Honestly, anyone deciding on what to do now would have a great trip with Explorer Ventures. They had a great crew on their Bahamas boat last June, great pricing, the boat was in good shape and most important (as of late) is that their office is excellent. Even better, they have two new boats and a new location (Maldives)!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom