Nekton (Bad News)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just called Travel Guard and they said they wouldn't cover a cancellation due to the company closing its doors unless you bought the insurance when you booked your trip. I've never purchased trip insurance before...now I know not to ever make that mistake again.

They said, at this late date, all that would be covered is missing all or part of the trip due to illness, work related matters, being subpeoned, etc.

If anyone finds a company willing to insure for this at this late date, please advise.

We went to the Long Beach Scuba Show today to talk to Nekton since we can't get through when we call (we only get the answering machine). They are listed in the program but they did NOT SHOW UP.
And if they were smart, they booked their space on credit and left the Scuba Show organizers holding the bag.

I wish I had known there was an unclaimed spot at the Show - I could have claim jumped and held my own exposition of Mossman Dive Emporium, bringing all the unused dive gear collecting in my garage because I'm too lazy to dump them on eBay. Anyone want a barely-used Draeger rebreather for cheap?

I just hope that if this is the end of Nekton Diving Cruises, that John Dixon has the courtesy to TELL people rather than doing what he's doing now.

I just hope that if this is the end of Nekton Diving Cruises, that John Dixon has the courtesy to TELL people rather than doing what he's doing now.

It'll be interesting to see if there's any update on their website tomorrow.

I got a feeling we won't hear anything from Nekturd......when my trip cancelled last year they tried to blame it on the weather...it was the supersleuths on SB that found out that it was the boat had broken down.....I guess the same thing is going to happen this time.

If they aren't answering the phone or returning messages I wouldn't expect a single person to be contacted about the status of their trip. I'm thinking a notice will go up on their website or they might even take down the entire site. If they are going down with the ship, they aren't going to invite angry mobs to yell at them on the phone or in person (though they deserve it). You shouldn't be treated like this as customers but they are probably in cut and run mode. More than likely any money you've given them has already gone to debtors, payroll or other expenses so I doubt they have anything to give back to you. I think Doug's probably pretty accurate about changing phone numbers...

Unfortunately it's more likely that you're probably 100% correct that they'll simply just "disappear" instead of doing the right thing of telling people directly.

It looks like the their web page is in the process of going down. Only the main first page is up and all on the tabs take you to a log in screen. All the tabs worked yesterday.
\
I would say this ship has sailed.

Nekton Cruises > Home
Cessation Of Operations - Monday, May 17, 2010
Dear Friends,

It is with a heavy heart and deep regret that we must announce the cessation of operations for Nekton Diving Cruises. Due to the continually increasing cost of operations, decreased discretionary income of consumers, and overall economic difficulty, Nekton is unable to restart cruise operations at this time.

We anticipate to post further information on this page with a point of contact for claims at the middle/beginning of June 2010. We deeply regret all of the inconvenience and disappointment we are causing you, our valued customers.

If you have travel insurance, please use a copy of this announcement for pursuing a claim with your insurer.

Once again, it is with our sincerest apologies, that we must take these steps.

The Former Nekton Team

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom