Negative entry vs Using a downline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tech 1 and 2 end up being about more than just deco in my experience. I found the additional wreck stuff really useful.

What about dolphins? :)

:)
To dive with them, you:
  • need to be able to swim fast...Bottlenose forage at close to 5 mph and won't slow down much for divers.
  • You need to be able to go up and down at high speeds with the dolphins, if you want to stay with them--this means fast descents and fast ascents.
  • You can't use a line for ascents or descents, as the dolphins are going to cover a mile or more in the next 15 minutes, and you won't be anywhere near the line if you want to be near the dolphins :)
  • Drift Diving is the only practical way to dive with a pod of foraging bottlenose, because after you swim with them for 10 minutes or 30 minutes, you are up to miles from where you began----with drift diving, the boat is with you when you finish...with anchor diving, it might closer to swim to shore, than to attempt to swim your way back to the boat :)
  • Forget Split fins...too slow....you need freedive fins. A scooter is helpful as well :)

:)
To dive with them, you:
  • need to be able to swim fast...Bottlenose forage at close to 5 mph and won't slow down much for divers.
  • You need to be able to go up and down at high speeds with the dolphins, if you want to stay with them--this means fast descents and fast ascents.
  • You can't use a line for ascents or descents, as the dolphins are going to cover a mile or more in the next 15 minutes, and you won't be anywhere near the line if you want to be near the dolphins :)
  • Drift Diving is the only practical way to dive with a pod of foraging bottlenose, because after you swim with them for 10 minutes or 30 minutes, you are up to miles from where you began----with drift diving, the boat is with you when you finish...with anchor diving, it might closer to swim to shore, than to attempt to swim your way back to the boat :)
  • Forget Split fins...too slow....you need freedive fins. A scooter is helpful as well :)

Good advice :)

My last encounter with dolphins . . .they came to dive with us. We didn't have to do anything znd we didn't. Just watched as each dolphin swam by each one of us at least twice. They were checking us out! Such a fabulous experience.

AJ, I know what Tech 1 & 2 are about. Was just giving you the gears.

My last encounter with dolphins . . .they came to dive with us. We didn't have to do anything znd we didn't. Just watched as each dolphin swam by each one of us at least twice. They were checking us out! Such a fabulous experience.

AJ, I know what Tech 1 & 2 are about. Was just giving you the gears.

Chilly, you know I can't be content just hoping something will swim right up to me.....If you had ever gotten into spearfishing, you learn to hunt--which is really the art of following without looking like you are following :) ....never chasing, but finding a way to approach without scaring....and divers can definitely scare dolphins if the diver comes in like a freight train.

So....I am glad you had the dolphin experience you did...for many people, that is life changing...it was for me.
Spotted dolphins are easier to approach by divers, and they swim slower, also meaning divers have a better shot at keeping pace with them if they are not in a hurry to go anywhere, or if they are foraging....

Bottlenose are faster, and won't swim slowly as far as I can tell.

And, with the right technique, the interaction can last alot longer than a few moments....

This is a video I shot on a drift dive off of Lake Worth ( WPB) , an encounter with about 30 bottlenose dolphins that lasted about half an hour, and ended when I had sucked my lp 120 down to 500 psi and I grudgingly decided my Dolphin video was over.....There is even one moment in this video where I stop for a second, to change some settings on my camera, and 2 of the dolphin wait for me...
[video=youtube_share;n-R1fmnOwwk]http://youtu.be/n-R1fmnOwwk[/video]

The video is best if you pull the timeline cursor to about 3/4ths of the way through the video....it is way too long to watch the whole thing...
But....near the beginning, you can see how I first approached, and then how a big Alpha male actually got annoyed and began a threat posture....which caused me to back off....he liked that, and then he let me come in closer by the half way point or so, and actually swim IN the pod as they foraged.

Thanks Dan. I'm glad you weren't there during my experience. The bottlenose were not swimming quickly. As I was saying, each dolphin gave each one of us the hairy eyeball at least twice. We didn't know what they would do next. Of course many of us wanted to touch but everyone behaved themselves and thus the dolphins stayed with us slmost the entirety of our dive. Fabulous doesn't cover it.

Perhaps you know why they were so marked up? They had great scratches and crosshatches all over their skin.

I can't look at your video now as I am on my phone not my computer but look forward to enjoying it later.

Remember my motto, "Let the fish come to you." :)

Last edited:
And there is even a DIR board...
But for me to something critical of DIR over to their sandbox would be petty, inciting and probably downright trolling; because I know it'd provoke anger.

So, one last question; which I haven't seen answered. Why the asinine dictation on where gear must be stored? Doesn't it make more sense to store it where it is best for the individual diver?

Obviously confused.
It takes some real effort to cut the webbing, and even if it is, it's not like it unravels like a wool sweater in a cartoon. I don't think you really get how the harness is set up
I could slice it with a line cutter in .5 seconds. I've seen a medic pull linecutters through kevlar about that fast. Yes, I understand how a continous harness works. Your gear isn't complicated.

and nothing need be black. That's a thing you've made up.

So, you have pictures of DIR gear that some other color? I have never heard of any DIR diver wearing any other color. Ever hear the jokes we "strokes" crack about "DIR tactical black"? Why do you think this is?

Also just being non dir doesn't make someone a ”stroke"。I though we went over that? Grow up dude.

Really? Seems to be the universal definition.

For someone who likes to tell everyone how military they are, you sure are being a little baby over who other people choose to dive.
How's that? Have I said how you should dive? No?

For someone who's protesting how kind DIR divers are, you sure are being arrogant and defensive over some of these things.

TC, you are the one making stuff up here.... When George used to do his table recitals, it was from the Navy Tables for Mixed Gas--
Now it's a table recital? That's not what you said before:
"many occasions actually output tables from his head, complete with percentage likelihood of a dcs result for each additional minute added, and could compute any changes asked of him"

Second, if he is reciting tables, something wrote down and known, how could it be considered safe to rely on his memory?!? I do critical, important procedures in my job, like boresight a tank, or conduct PMCS. Even though I can recite these procedures, I refuse to allow myself or crew to rely on my memory. And it's unlikely I'd die from a error on these...unlike in diving, where a mistake on a table can kill you.\\

How is using a table from memory considered doing something right?
Navy Spec Warfare began showing up at the big push dives, to see how George could manage such short deco's without injury--as this had military implications.
Really. You expect me to believe that you and george were teaching the Navy about this? I'd say they have vastly more institutional knowledge than a few divers "making s--- up" in their backyard, to use your words.

The spewing at a dead person, would have been trying to ensure that his 100 man team, and his friends in tech and cave, did not see the death as just an "accident", but rather, the obvious result of an error that none of them could allow themselves to make. This would include a rule number one violation, like any diving with someone like Jim Bowden, who George considered to be the most responsible "Stroke" in the death of Sheck Exley
First, you are confused. You have the wrong person. I suggest you go back and review the history that you clearly can't remember.

Second, is this is how he teaches others, by gloating and spewing hatred over the death of another person? I'll tell you this; this is not how you learn from the mistakes of others. I've been engaged in learning from my mistakes and those of others for almost 14 years. His approach is dead wrong.

This was a shameful, disgusting display of his behavior, and the best indicator of who George really was. You know this. You know I'm right; you're just engaged in revisionist history to cover his transgressions.

George Irvine III was a hostile, disgusting person who viewed anyone who didn't do exactly as he did with contempt and hatred. And he was not above showing his buttocks to the world; Experienced cave diver or new OW student- I see no reason that he would be different.

Neither of us would mind anyone spewing invectives about the event.
Well, I dare say that all here would never do such a thing. We can discuss your mistake without ridiculing your memory and causing futher pain to your family in their time of grief.

Unlike George Irvine III.

So, you have pictures of DIR gear that some other color? I have never heard of any DIR diver wearing any other color. ....

Check out the U of M Diving program. Halcyon wings in UM colors, green and orange. Pretty cool. I have a wing with orange panels. My buddy's wife dives a pink Halcyon wing. Been in the water with blue Halcyon wings and Saturday my buddy was diving a light gray Halcyon wing. Keep going?

Unlike George Irvine III.

Why you chasing a ghost? George has been "gone" for better part of 10 years? He piss on your cheerios 10 years ago?

TC, I know about cutters like that. I was a 68w. Who takes a rescue hook to their harness and expects it to be divable? Turn down the derp a little. Just a tad.

---------- Post added April 7th, 2014 at 09:53 PM ----------

And the stroke thing is your definition. No one else agrees with you.

Back
Top Bottom