Negative entry vs Using a downline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is why I don't think you understand DIR.

Its the function of the gear that determines if it is or isn't DIR. Just saying "this is DIR do it like this" does not make it DIR. The stuff you describe does not function in a way that meets the DIR standard. Calling something "DIR" does not make it so. We choose to do it a certain way. A way that is consistent every time, with every one. Its not rocket science, man.

Once again, you completely misread what I said. Perhaps you should calm down and read with an open mind before you reply?

I said your gear choice and placement is dictated by DIR.

If you placed something different from the rest of the team, would that be considered DIR?

If your gear was different, If you had a bungeed wing, Dual wing, a AIR2, split fin or heaven forbid it wasn't dark colored, would you still be DIR?
I always used freedive fins, except in caves or serious wreck penetrations.....DIR's and GUE's are "supposed" to use Jets....but I was still considered a DIR with my freedive fins. George never, ever had any issues with me using them where I wanted to.
No, the diver is responsible for their own life. He is not.

The other divers are all well-trained adults. Who appointed him respnsible for other adults? Did they agree to him being responsible for them?

No TC...he was the director of a large Cave diving club called the Wakulla Karst Plain Project....It had a scientific mission, and was also clearly a lifestyle and adventure pursuit for many.....As Director, he was absolutely appointed as being responsible for the 100 man teams....and I can assure you the wives of his divers, and their kids, were very appreciative of the lengths George went to in order to do his best to keep them safe. George was very appreciated by the membership of the WKPP, and could have held the position of Director as long as he wanted to ....

So why choose a word with extremely strong Nazi connections? I am not accusing him of Nazism, but the fact he chose this word instead of countless others, or even the English translation, is telling of the sheer hatred toward anyone who didn’t fall into line and conform to his new cult of diving.
I used to recall reading Nietzsche he had some great one liners, like "that which almost kills you, makes you stronger"....and hundreds of others that would clearly have had a desirable ring to George. What you did not know about George, as you make observations without any contact with him--was that he was both a mathematical genius, and could crunch 5 digit numbers in his head, and on many occasions actually output tables from his head, complete with percentage likelihood of a dcs result for each additional minute added, and could compute any changes asked of him....And, he had a rich college education that allowed him to appreciate the nuances offered by a philosopher like Nietzshe , or the planning of a military campaign by a Patton or even by a general like Quintus Sertorius of Ancient Rome.

You have to see that George believed that lives were at stake....it would be hard not to see that he felt a responsibility to prevent deaths in his WKPP divers....and he extended this to the cave and tech divers he would come to know on the Internet.

Hell, Why even insult people at all? Does it get the point across better? Does it make the other person listen better?

Or does it just cause them to dig in their heels and fight all the more stubbornly? But he wasn’t interested in convincing anyone, was he? He was just interested in screaming his head off at anyone who became a target…i.e., the strokes.
George GOT his message out, without any ad budget, against the combined budget of the Dive industry in the 90's and afterward. He used the showmanship of a Hulk Hogan or the Rock, or some other TV persona Wrestler type, because it succeeded in roping in thousands of viewers on the tech and cagers list, and the internet at large. This did succeed, far more than if he had been quiet and nice.....Had he done this, many would not hate him today, but is is also likely that none of you would have ever heard of DIR, and that there would have been no impetus to create GUE with.
The success came with the hatred....but for even one life saved, George or I would feel the hatred created against him, was a small price to pay.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2014 at 09:36 PM ----------

[h=1]Woodville Karst Plain Project[/h]From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Woodville Karst Plain Project or WKPP, grew out of a cave diving research and exploration group established in 1985 and incorporated in 1990 (by Bill Gavin and Bill Main, later joined by Parker Turner, Lamar English and Bill McFaden, at the time the chairman of the NACD Exploration and Survey Committee) to map the underwater cave systems underlying the Woodville Karst Plain, a 450-square-mile (1,200 km2) area that runs from Tallahassee, Florida, U.S. to the Gulf of Mexico and includes numerousfirst magnitude springs, including Wakulla Springs, and the Leon Sinks Cave System, the longest underwater cave in the United States.[1][2][3]
WKPP is the only organization currently allowed to dive some of these caves - which are all on State, Federal, or private land - due to the extreme nature of the systems and the discipline required to safely explore them, although these caves were explored extensively prior to the establishment of the WKPP. This is a controversial issue, as many people think these caves should be open to the public or, at the least, to other qualified cave diving groups and individuals. Recently, during 2007, one State-owned entrance of the Leon Sinks cave system has been reopened to other qualified cave divers.
WKPP divers hold every distance record in underwater cave diving. WKPP director Casey McKinlay and his regular dive buddy, Jarrod Jablonski hold the world's record for the greatest distance from air in a cave dive - 23,810 feet (7,260 m) each way.
The data gathered by WKPP divers has allowed planners a better definition of what to expect from the underground aquifer system and how best to handle issues relating to such things as surface water runoff and other nonpoint source pollution issues.[4]WKPP mapping has resulted in the State of Florida and the U.S. Department of Agriculture establishing a "greenway" surrounding the Leon Sinks cave system and a "protection zone" for Edward Ball Wakulla Springs State Park, as well as numerous improvements in water management district operations, DOT road-building, and development planning.
A much better explanation is at http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/wkpp_2012.pdf

The diver ran out of air, which is a problem, but there are procedures you are taught from your first pool sessions that should serve you well in such a situation. She followed procedures perfectly. She had stayed near her buddy, and she went to him for his alternate. Unfortunately, as happens so very often in the traditional setup, the alternate was not where it was supposed to be. Because they are designed to disengage from their keepers easily, they often come out on their own. You often do not realize it when it happens. His alternate had come out, and it had gotten behind him. In the frantic search for it, she inhaled water, gagged, and drowned. When I read that, I realized that there would not have been a problem if her buddy had been using the long hose/bungeed alternate system.

Just FTR, it shouldn't have been a problem if the divers had been mentally prepared and remembered their basic training.

I've had something similar happen when I and my buddy were doing an air share drill after I'd done some modifications to my gear setup. He gave the OOA signal, and I wasn't able to put my hand on my octo immediately when I reached for it. I took one breath, donated my primary and could easily spend those extra seconds locating the octo. If it had gotten loose from its keeper (not very likely, BTW, as the "keeper" is my right shoulder D-ring with the octo hose folded double and stuffed half way through), I know and regularly train the standard "lost reg" drill. I'd have half a minute to a minute to find the elusive octo before getting low on air, and that, IMO, would be reasonable time to resolve the issue. Worst case, we'd be able to CESA together, my buddy on my octo and me with about half a minute's worth of air in my lungs.

I have no beef with the DIR crowd (except one of them whom I know, who has gotten overtly evangelic about the issue) and have adopted a couple of IMO good points from their rules, but I just had to point out that, again IMO, some of the "problems" the DIR approach is supposed to solve aren't necessarily a problem if the diver remembers his/her training and rehearses it regularly.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

---------- Post added April 7th, 2014 at 04:12 AM ----------

Consider this quote from him:

"Like I said, I could care less how many mutants don't like me. The project is too important to let farm animals get in my way. I will slaughter all of them. Untermeschens like these deserve the treatment they get."
Matthias Pohl notes, "This is a mighty sick fellow who wrote that. The terminology 'untermenschens' dates back to the Nazi regime in Germany and was used by the campaign to justify the slaughter of six million people in concentration camps.

Enter Godwin's law, exit thread.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Fifth, for the record, my campaign against split fins is not about the diver thst wears them but for the ultimate good of those diving with that split finner, and the sealife and the sea floor. Damn fricken vortexers, "Just say NO to split fins! "

Sixth, TC you've been making what I see as some legitimate points, why muddy their value with over-the-top rhetoric? (Ayatollah???)

Seventh, yes, Godwin's Law appears to be in place but considering how it entered the convo, might be a gray area.

Fifth, for the record, my campaign against split fins is not about the diver thst wears them but for the ultimate good of those diving with that split finner, and the sealife and the sea floor. Damn fricken vortexers, "Just say NO to split fins! "

Sixth, TC you've been making what I see as some legitimate points, why muddy their value with over-the-top rhetoric? (Ayatollah???)

Seventh, yes, Godwin's Law appears to be in place but considering how it entered the convo, might be a gray area.

Godwin's law was meant to reference dragging the N word into discussions where it was not warranted or was meant only to inflame. Godwin's law is misused and abused by some who seem to think that all discussion of Nazis or their beliefs or actions is somehow prohibited. Sometimes the references are actually valid and it is only intellectual laziness that fuels the invocation.

TC's rhetoric, as usual, is a bit over the top but I do not personally find the reference to be gratuitous.

This is why I don't think you understand DIR.
Its the function of the gear that determines if it is or isn't DIR. Just saying "this is DIR do it like this" does not make it DIR. The stuff you describe does not function in a way that meets the DIR standard. Calling something "DIR" does not make it so. We choose to do it a certain way. A way that is consistent every time, with every one. Its not rocket science, man.
No, it's because that is what has been dicated to use. Some of it fails the common sense test; for example, a continous loop harness. Single point of failure, have a cut in the harness, and the whole thing is useless. A strap system would be better. Second, why the black on all gear? Wouldn't the ability to be seen in low viz, or on the surface dicate that a high viz color be used? Yet, the inner SEAL in this movement dictates dark colors.

As has been stated, many DIR people have moved on to other systems, as they've found this isn't the end-all, be-all system that it's preached to be.

As for configuration; So what if one person's way is not consistant with everyone else? A left-handed diver needs gear on the other side. Yet this simple, common sense practice seems to violate the tenet of standardization that DIR preaches.

DIR gear is good for one approach; Tech diving; specifically caving. Beyond that, especially in rec. diving, it has no strong advantages.

They're no worse than any other fin. The technique used is the key. I see more bottom stirring from paddle fins than splits due to the greater downward thrust.

Because it adequately describes how DIR follows the rule laid down by others, some who've moved on from DIR, like they're gospel handed down from God...without the critical thought as to why the system is used this way.

And I'll own to a little wanting to dig at the DIR disciples. For a group convinced of their own superiority, they easily get defensive about criticism of their supposedly superior system.

What is that?
I always used freedive fins, except in caves or serious wreck penetrations.....DIR's and GUE's are "supposed" to use Jets....but I was still considered a DIR with my freedive fins. George never, ever had any issues with me using them where I wanted to.
Are those DIR, PfcAJ?
So what is dan, then, DIR or a stroke? Seems you're one or the other to this club.

As Director, he was absolutely appointed as being responsible for the 100 man teams.
By who? From the reading I've done of him, even his diving buddy said they had to put up with him because he had the keys to the cave complex. He's more like the guy who has sole access to the office supplies; whose butt you have to kiss to get staples so you can finish the multi-million dollar presentation that will ensure the success of the company. They like to have that little bit of power.

Only one person is responsible for a diver's safety. THE DIVER.

What you did not know about George, as you make observations without any contact with him--was that he was both a mathematical genius, and could crunch 5 digit numbers in his head, and on many occasions actually output tables from his head, complete with percentage likelihood of a dcs result for each additional minute added, and could compute any changes asked of him.

You mean that he guessed wildly and made stuff up as it came to him, in order to appear important and look like Super-Diverman!.

The idea that he's "developing" tables in his head is silly and preposterous. He did no such thing. Tables require complex calculation and more importantly, testing before they can be consided safe for use. All he did was make wild-ass guesses to support a dive profile he wanted to do.

George GOT his message out, without any ad budget, against the combined budget of the Dive industry in the 90's and afterward.
No, it looks more like that was the work of the quieter, more respectful people around him, who tolerated him because they needed him for access to the cave, and spent more time apologizing for the people he infuriated. Seriously, have you read what he wrote to "get his message out"? And how is spewing vitrol at a dead person considered "getting his message out"? He got his instructor credentials yanked for that. How can you get your message out when you lose the tools that give you credibility and authority?

That isn't getting a message out, that's berating people just because he is in a position to do so, because he has a little control. It's called abuse of power and position.

He is not a kind person, nor is he someone that was going to pass up the opportunity to berate more people to promote his ideas. The idea that he wouldn't attack a rec. diver is beyond believeable for anyone who's read his own words.

So what is the GUE/DIR protocol on descending to a wreck?
BTW, any GUE course on wreck diving?

I originally wasn't going to respond to this thread, but things have gotten a bit ludicrous, so I thought I would post a couple of different articles written by Gareth Burrows, a GUE instructor here in the UK. I nicked them from his site Welcome to the Frontpage!.

What is DIR anyway?
So what is DIR Diving. Or more precisely, what is it to me.
DIR stands for....ummm here we hit our first problem. Traditionally, DIR stands for “Doing It Right”. However this name, quite understandably, got a lot of people’s nose out of joint. I never refer to “Doing It Right”. I just call it DIR. In the same way I never say “let’s stop at the British Petroleum Garage”. BP to me, just means BP. It might stand for something but I never think about it. So DIR is just DIR. I never think about what it stands for. Which is probably just as well, as it’s a rather stupid name, bound to get people's backs up. If I could rename it, I would.
Err, I asked what is was....
Ok, ok. DIR diving is about having fun and being safe. It’s about diving in a manner that we believe allows us to have as much fun as possible, whilst remaining as safe as possible.

Pretty words, how does it work?
Imagine, if you will, you have a battery powered house with ten light bulbs in it. However, you only have a battery that can only cope with nine light bulbs. You walk into the house on a dark night, and switch on the porch light. It is brilliantly bright. Everything is easy because you can see clearly. Then you go into the kitchen and turn on the light. Then you go into the living room, where you turn on another 3 lights. You now have five bulbs lit, and whilst they are all lit, each one is noticeably dimmer than the first light bulb you switched on when you walked in. The battery is starting to be stretched. Now you go upstairs and switch on a few more lights. Sooner or later you are up to nine lights, and they are all very dim indeed. You switch on the final light in the bathroom and the house goes dark. The battery cannot cope with the load you have put it under and it has failed.
We call this “capacity”. Now let’s take the metaphor underwater.
Your capacity is your mental ability to cope with things. When you first learn to dive, it takes all or most of your capacity just to kneel only he bottom and breathe. A diver whose capacity is stretched like this will be surprised when you wave your hand in front of your face. They don’t have the spare capacity to maintain an awareness of what is going on them. They have no spare light bulbs. A diver that struggles to put up an SMB will use too many light bulbs on the task. That’s why some who are struggling with a task lose buoyancy control of an awareness of where their buddy is. They are using all their light bulbs to assemble and inflate the SMB, and have none spare for buoyancy control. A diver that is concentrating on their gas and depth because they are narked, or focusing on an equipment problem, or an ascent they are worried about, is not paying any attention to the wreck they came to see in the first place. They have no light bulbs left for actually enjoying the dive. They have no spare capacity.

DIR diving turns light bulbs off
The logic behind DIR diving is that if you can absolutely minimise the light bulbs being used for things like buoyancy control; situational awareness; equipment awareness; team awareness; dive planning; gas management; communication etc; then the more light bulbs you actually have for enjoying the dive and for dealing with any problems effectively. We don’t practice buoyancy control until it is excellent and instinctive because we want to look cool. We do it so that it only takes one light bulb and we have more capacity left for actually looking at the wreck.

Ok, so how do you maximise spare capacity?
We work at our buoyancy control until we can be precisely where we want to be in the water column, critically without putting any effort in. All skills beyond this are required to be done with neutral buoyancy. Perhaps more than anything else, we switch off nearly all the light bulbs for buoyancy control.
We work at achieving appropriate, usually flat, trim in the water, which enables us to develop extremely efficient propulsion techniques. This minimises the energy we spend on propulsion, which leads to relaxation, and thus more spare light bulbs. It also ensures we do not damage or disturb the environment we are swimming in, whether 10cm above a reef, or swimming along the top of a wreck.
Common, or emergency tasks; such as putting up SMBs; ascending; donating gas; manipulating valves are worked to the point where they can be done smoothly and quickly, with no loss of awareness of your surroundings or change in position in the water. Repeating tasks until they are smooth and fast, ensures they don't take up too much of our attention which avoids problems.
We work as a team, so that communication does not need to be discussed, there is no confusion in the water and the team stays together come what may in the water. We become responsible for checking each other’s gas as well as our own and checking each other’s equipment. Team work also means we all do tasks, such as SMB deployments in the same way. This means we can stop each other if there is a problem, or take over from where someone left off.
We adopt a standardised equipment configuration, because we recognise that although it is a compromise, the value in having a standard is immense. Checking each other’s equipment now becomes easy because it’s the same as yours. Damaged kit can be replaced from anyone’s spares. Everything on your kit fits everything on your team’s kit. There are never any strange pieces of equipment that could lead to confusion in the water. Everything is very familiar, very comfortable. The drills and skills we practice all work smoothly because nothing on the equipment configuration interferes with them.

That all sounds very serious...
I guess it sounds that way. We do train hard, but rarely seriously. I was trained by PADI and TDI before being trained by GUE. I am a BSAC member. I have friends who are IANTD and PSAI instructors. The one thing all divers have in common is that they want to have a really good laugh. DIR divers are no exception. We’re just divers at the end of the day. And remember, we’re doing this so we have spare capacity to have fun.

You talked about safety...
We have all this spare capacity lying around. We might as well do something with it. It starts with us being responsible for our own equipment, and that of our team and then gas everyone is breathing. Anyone could end up breathing anyone's gas at the end of the day. There are procedures for ensuring people do not make silly mistakes that could hurt them or a team mate. We maintain an awareness of a team mate who is having a problem, and we look after them.
The team is everything. The equipment in my pocket might be used to help one of them if they need it. They'll probably ask for it. We're all carrying the same in our pockets anyway, so if we need something we know where it is. Resolving equipment issues doesn’t take a lot of capacity because remember you are completely familiar with everyone’s equipment anyway. If there is a problem you have practised the skills required to deal with the problem time after time until actually dealing with the problem is little more stressful than the drill itself. Everyone is capable of performing every role on the dive, such as putting up the SMB, because we train to our weaknesses and then dive to our strengths. It is by no means the only safe way to dive, but it's definitely a very comfortable way to dive.

Ok, that's a lot to take in, can you summarise it?
Sure. DIR diving means diving in a team, a team where every member takes responsibility not just for themselves, but also the safety of everyone else on the team. It means adopting standardised equipment to permit the development of standardised skills and drills. It means developing personal skills and capacity so that you can have the most fun possible in the water, whilst ensuring you and your friends are safe. And that, I guess, is DIR diving.

Oh, one last point. I heard you guys all think you are better than everyone else. Is that true?
There is a type of DIR diver that thinks they are better than everyone else. The term for them is "dick head". A DIR diver should only compete with themselves to develop their skills. I want my awareness of the wreck to be better tomorrow than it was yesterday. DIR divers are the best in the world at being DIR divers.

I consider myself an OK diver, but I can assure you all that following a sneaky try dive last year I am a catastrophically poor rebreather diver. Most of the BSAC divers I know have forgotten more about boat handling and dive group management than I will ever know. Every commie diver I have ever met has left me humbled and reminded that I know enough to keep myself alive only when not massively task loaded with a job that my livelihood relies upon.
Diving in a DIR style gives people a very specific set of skills. Within that remit, those skills are well developed. This gives them to right to be proud of the fact that they are better at their style of diving than they were last year. But to compare themselves to other divers is ridiculous and usually insulting to someone. I have no more time for DIR divers like that than I have for people that assume that ALL DIR divers are like that, and that elitism comes with the certification. It doesn't. There are good guys from all walks, and idiots from all walks. Luckily, when diving in the real world, most of the people I meet seem to be nice guys.

DIR Rules Explained
I wrote this last year for another forum. DIR diving used to follow certain rules. GUE no longer teach these rules as "rules", but the ethos behind each rule still rings very true and elements of them are incorporated into our training. So here they are in our all their glory. Discuss....
The rules of DIR diving are:

Rule 1 - Do not dive with unsafe divers
It’s the first rule, arguably the most important, and the one that has raised the most emotions in the past. It has been erroneously translated by dumb-ass DIR and non-DIR divers as “don’t dive with people outside your team” or even “don’t dive with people from another agency”, and by some real dipsticks “only dive with DIR divers”.

This is an error.

The rule does not mean don’t dive with a particular type of person. It means don’t dive with someone who is unsafe. So what is an unsafe diver? Forget the agency, training or background. Your best friend and GUE team mate can be an unsafe diver as much as anyone else. An unsafe diver is someone who is not physically or psychologically prepared, in your opinion, to safely conduct the dive you have planned. Maybe their kit looks cobbled together because they rushed. Maybe something on their kit looks like it needs ma intenance. Perhaps they are so focused on themselves they are not taking an active team role in preparing for the dive. Perhaps they haven’t analysed their gas, or conducted a proper pre-dive briefing with you. Perhaps you are not on the save wavelength regarding the dive plan, or the decompression strategy. Perhaps they are using kit they are clearly not comfortable with, or trying out new kit on an inappropriate dive. There might be a million and one things, but I’d come back to someone who is not prepared, in your opinion. To safely conduct the dive. Someone will raise so I’ll pre-empt it – the rule has also been described as “don’t dive with strokes”. A stroke, in this context, is an unsafe diver, regardless of background or training. Rule 1 then, do not dive with unsafe divers.

Rule 2 – Do not listen to unsafe divers
As a general rule, if you have decided someone is acting in an unsafe manner, you probably don't want to listen to any arguments they might have. Again, this does not mean “don’t listen (or speak to, as someone once suggested) to non-DIR divers. It means don’t take advice from people you shouldn’t’. I have been guilty of this so many times. I hear a diver, using a different configuration, or different signals, or kit, or whatever, and I think “that sounds cool, I’ll incorporate that into my diving”. I’ve just forgotten the point of DIR, which is that the strength is in standardisation and the moment someone starts moving away from that standard, the system begins to fray around the edges. I can jump in the water with any DIR diver and know exactly how their kit is supposed to be setup, and how intend to conduct the dive. Until someone starts mucking about with the standard. Another take on the “do not listen” rule – You think your best mate is unsafe today because they haven’t analysed their gas – there’s no current sticker on it (i.e. one that says they analysed it TODAY). They tell you it’s fine because they did it last week. If you listen to that, you’ve broken rule 2.

Rule 3 - Nothing underwater is worth dying for
Surely this is obvious to everyone. Yet we keep hearing about people who stayed just a little bit too long. Or went a little bit too deep, etc. George Irvine came out with a lot of vitriolic nonsense, but one of the things he said which rings true to me is that no-one gets any smarter underwater. If you’ve made a plan on the surface, stick to it in the water, as you made it for a reason. If you happen to stumble across the treasure of the Sierra Madre but you have reached minimum gas, tough ****. Come back tomorrow. I can personally attest that it’s far more pleasant being at home wishing you were diving, than being diving wishing you were at home.

Rule 4 – Always analyse your gas, before every dive
Logic would suggest that this would be the least emotive rule. Surely everyone would agree this is a sensible idea. But every now and again, someone dies for the lack of adhering to it. A couple of years ago, I tested my twinset on the boat as I prepared for my 40 metre dive, and found to my consternation that I had 200 bar of pure Oxygen in my twinset. How my body would have reacted to a partial pressure of Oxygen of 5.0 I cannot precisely determine, but I think it’s far to say the dive would have been both brief and somewhat eventful. Another diver I know blacked out whilst sitting on the side of a rib as he prepared to roll off the side into the sea. He can be thankful to an unnamed and unknown gas filler for the low price he had been charged for a very expensive fill, and thankful to his body’s swift reaction to the 100% helium in his twinset for probably saving his life. Stuff like this happens. Most of the time, it gets caught in time. When it doesn’t, the unfortunate result is that we tend to read about it. Gas accidents sicken me, because their results can be so easily fatal, and yet so easily avoided. Analyse your gas before every dive, including after air tops in the morning. Do not make any assumptions based on what people are telling you. Analyse anything you might potentially have to breathe. Mark your cylinders with the current date, and check your team mates to make sure they have done the same. If they haven’t, see rules 1 and 2. If the **** hits the fan you might have to breathe what's in their cylinders, so check those stickers before you hit the water.

Rule 5 - Don't dive a rebreather unless you need it
DIR’s stance on rebreathers is fairly simple. There is a balance of risk and need. DIR Divers believe that rebreathers are, generally speaking, more dangerous than Open Circuit. However, there are certain dives where the risks of open circuit outweigh the risks of closed circuit. Where gas logistics become ludicrous – extremely long exposure cave exploration, or very deep wreck diving, then there is an argument that a rebreather is the tool of choice. I have to be honest, if I wrote more on this rule I’d be making it up. I don’t do these types of dives, so I don’t really relate to this rule.

Rule 6 – Always look cool/fabulous
That seems a bit silly doesn’t it? Everything I’ve written above is designed to help safety, so what’s this bollox about looking cool? Just a joke? Maybe. But think about it a bit and all of a sudden you start to see something in it. Let’s just assume for a moment that the rule does not mean “Only wear black”. Let’s also assume that it doesn’t mean “Only buy Halcyon”. On a side note, I don’t know of a single DIR diver that only uses Halcyon equipment. Anyway, I digress. DIR and non-DIR divers that make the assumption that this is what the rule actually means are missing the point.

Let’s imagine you are on a boat. Your potential buddy’s equipment looks messy, or poorly maintained. Maybe the hose routing looks all untidy. They are clearly in breach of rule 6. What’s important is not that their configuration is not neat, or their equipment knackered. What’s important is that they have rushed their setup, or have been failing to keep up to date with maintenance. Refer to rule 1. Let’s assume your buddy’s cylinders have 15 different stickers on them. Bong. Rule 6 violation. But again the important thing is that you might not be able to identify a current gas test sticker or, god forbid, misread the maximum operating depth. Refer to Rule 1. Now you’re in the water. Your buddy is dropping in and out of trim. They are waving their arms about. Bong. Rule 6 violation. They are not looking cool. Equally, if you have your head switched on, you now know that they are uncomfortable for some reason. Don’t ignore it. Find out why.

Rule 6 is not about looking cool for the sake of cool. It’s about looking in control, prepared, calm. In short, it’s about demonstrating you are a safe diver.

Those are the rules. There is one small addition I might as well make to this post. Something we call “Option 1”. Option one is very simple indeed.

Option 1 : Any diver can call any dive. At any time.

Before or during the dive. No debate. No questioning. No argument. The dive is over. Why someone calls a dive is irrelevant. They have decided they want to be out of the water, or don’t want to get into it. Diving is supposed to be fun. So respect that decision. Would you really want to be in the water with someone who doesn’t. I f someone tries to convince you to dive when you don’t feel comfortable, please refer to Rule 1.

Excellent write up rivers. You've really hit the nail on the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom