NEEDLE VALVES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't confirm which one Fathom uses but it is likely Swagelok SS-SS2. Like @grantctobin said though, they're probably not going to tell you exactly which one but it is highly unlikely that you will save any appreciable amount of money vs. buying one from Chris or Fathom.

I agree but I would need just the needle valve not the MAV 😉

Thanks

I couldn't find it on the forum and I'm asking here not to the mfg.
The needle valve in itself is a third-party product.

Thanks
Which still doesn't give the mfg any incentive to answer and I assume that's evidenced by the number of times you've relentlessly asked for the information here and on facebook.

As TBone hinted, most of the CK ones are SS-SS2 but I'd hope you could figure that out if you're going to build one

I really don't get you. Are you a mfg?
If you don't know the answer you are not forced to answer here or on FB.

Bye

I really don't get you. Are you a mfg?
If you don't know the answer you are not forced to answer here or on FB.

Bye
It's pretty clear he gave you an answer. You just simply don't like the answer. But he gave you the assumed part number for the one unit. None of us know the part number for the fathom because it's not something the manufacturer freely would like to give out. They are one of the better known/selling needle valves in the technical world right now. Why would they want to freely share that? I can't call coke and ask for their secret recipe and expect an answer.
Several of the repliers as well as myself are regulars to cave country and are either users of the fathom or know the people at fathom. At least the 3 of us can clearly tell you we don't know the part number and would not expect Charlie or anyone at fathom to freely give out that info for the reason above. Contact fathom (though it sounds like you did). You may get lucky and get an answer, but I'd doubt it.
Hopefully that's clear enough for you to understand.
I would hope that if you're skilled enough to build your own mav, that you'd be able to figure out the specs of which needle valve to buy on your own.

I know that Chris Kennedy volunteered the part number of the one he used without me directly asking for it. I was kinda shocked that he did that and figured it might have been a slip up. I, like many others, do not feel the need to share that info. Buy from a reputable manufacturer or do the measuring, math, and calculations yourself to figure it out. Unless your time is completely worthless then it is not really cost viable to make your own MAV.

Hi
Just have a look at the pic in post #31.
Think about the cv you need and you get your reference part...more or less :)
Here is another pic to inspire you.
But the Chris Kennedy/Fathom are neat.

metering.jpg

I know that Chris Kennedy volunteered the part number of the one he used without me directly asking for it. I was kinda shocked that he did that and figured it might have been a slip up. I, like many others, do not feel the need to share that info. Buy from a reputable manufacturer or do the measuring, math, and calculations yourself to figure it out. Unless your time is completely worthless then it is not really cost viable to make your own MAV.
In relation to volunteering a critical part number, people that actually design and make great stuff which is greater than the sum of its parts (or are successful in a field that takes knowing a complex combination of things in order to succeed) don't tend to worry about competition the way other people do...

Anyway he makes a comprehensive mod to the valve on a lathe, and stuff, and yeah he couldn't care less
but what I like most is he's got a couple of old lathes and a mill that he converted to computer automatic
out of books ha ha ha ha my type of bloke
Magnificent!

This is seriously a no brainer. Just buy the needle valve / mav from Fathom. All the debugging has been completed, the machining is awesome and you'll get support.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom