NEEDLE VALVES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craig haymaker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
NEEDLE VALVES : Can someone please tell me what my options are (stand alone and MAV mounted), and where I can purchase one ? I've looked on Tecme and Narked @ 90 and don't see any !

NEEDLE VALVES : Can someone please tell me what my options are (stand alone and MAV mounted), and where I can purchase one ? I've looked on Tecme and Narked @ 90 and don't see any !

Oxygen Manual Addition Valve (MAV) with Needle Valve - Subgravity

https://www.fathomdive.com/fathom-ccr/oxygen-addition/

rebreather lab contact information

Im sure if you contact Martin from Tecme he can make you one. This guy is epic and can make just about anything you need. Recently had a custom ADV made by him.

Andrew Goring should be able to make you one as well. jackaranda63@gmail.com

Also there are the Chris Kennedy needle valves. I have one of these and am happy with it.

Lots of options out there but hey are all fairly pricy. Last option is you can also make one, if its just the needle valve your after you can always buy the parts and some thread adapters and just put one inline. If I am not mistaken the actual valve that pretty much everyone is using is a Swagelok metering valve.

if you have a KISS, then they unofficially make one that is super nice. Has a CMF, then the needle which has clicky increments, then another CMF so it makes it super stable.

If I am not mistaken the actual valve that pretty much everyone is using is a Swagelok metering valve.
The business bit is indeed a swagelok needle valve. Integrating it with a MAV is beyond most garage DIY efforts.

if you have a KISS, then they unofficially make one that is super nice. Has a CMF, then the needle which has clicky increments, then another CMF so it makes it super stable.
Out if curiosity, do you know if that tripple combination is designed so that the first stage doesn't require blocking but you get the adjustability?

Out if curiosity, do you know if that tripple combination is designed so that the first stage doesn't require blocking but you get the adjustability?
correct, no blocking necessary and the dual CMF's make it so you don't really have to touch it for depth changes, only workload changes.

None of the needles have to be blocked which is essentially the only reason they're really used on mCCR's, but you do have to adjust them as you change depths which is why guys like Fathom tell you to dive a blocked first stage anyway so you are only changing it with workload, but the Kiss design is a bit better

You have to know the secret handshake to get one, though. I was told they were prototypes only available to testers and not for sale to consumers.

Maybe that's changed since I asked last year, though. I ended up getting a subgravity one and am quite happy with it.

Jim

In theory you can use a dynamic 1st stage in any needle valve. In practice you will be f***ing with that tiny tiny knob constantly with even minor changes in depth (up down 20ft). It's a colossal pita with dry gloves on, or using a scooter, or with a camera.

Going from 0.2 LPM up to 1.2 LPM (who works harder than that diving?) is about 3/4 to 7/8ths of a turn. It's way easier to use a blocked 1st with a stronger spring so you can run a 200psi IP. That's a 400ft dive before you need to worry about your O2 shutting off.

Including a CMF in a needle valve negates one of the best features, the plain needle valves are clog proof.

Back
Top Bottom