Needed: Comprehensive Caribbean fish guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tennessee Slim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After a few months living on Curacao, and I’m feeling pretty ignernt that I still can identify so few native fish. That being the case, I’d like your recommendations for a reallycomprehensive guide to identifying fish of the Caribbean.

TIA!

Have you looked at the Paul Humann reef guides for the region? I also use Randall's Caribbean Reef Fishes when I'm working on video from that region.

I've yet to see a comprehensive guide, but Humann's Reef Fish Identification: Florida Caribbean Bahamas is excellent.

Have you looked at the Paul Humann reef guides for the region? I also use Randall's Caribbean Reef Fishes when I'm working on video from that region.
Rats! It's out of stock at Barnes and Noble. Maybe I'll break down and buy elsewhere.

Don't know your definition of "so few" fish is but there is a new reef fish id course that teaches the top 50 species of the Caribbean. This should be available anywhere the Paul Humann/Ned Deloach Id books are sold and from the reef environmental education foundation - Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) | Diving That Counts. Let me know if you are unable to find we do have them available.

Add one more vote for Paul Humann's books!
Ber :lilbunny:

I find that no single book ever covers one region adequately. I use quite a number of them for the marine life here in southern California (including a number which are more in the realm of scientific and professional publications). Even my former colleague Dr. Milton Love's pretty comprehensive Probably More Than You Want to Know About the Fishes of the Pacific Coast has some glaring omissions (at least from my perspective).

I find that no single book ever covers one region adequately. I use quite a number of them for the marine life here in southern California (including a number which are more in the realm of scientific and professional publications). Even my former colleague Dr. Milton Love's pretty comprehensive Probably More Than You Want to Know About the Fishes of the Pacific Coast has some glaring omissions (at least from my perspective).
I've used both the Randall book and the Humann/Deloach book on the Caribbean and I've found fish I couldn't locate in either of them. I was hoping there was some third alternative that might be closer to all-encompassing. At this point I'm resigned to just buying the both of them and living with the shortcomings. LeisurePro has a good price on the Humann set and I'm still looking for a source for the Randall book.

Don't know your definition of "so few" fish is but there is a new reef fish id course that teaches the top 50 species of the Caribbean. This should be available anywhere the Paul Humann/Ned Deloach Id books are sold and from the reef environmental education foundation - Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) | Diving That Counts. Let me know if you are unable to find we do have them available.
I've lived here long enough I know the personalities in the dive shops I frequent pretty well. None of them have bowled me over with their fish knowledge. I know PADI has a fish ID course, and I might take it yet, but as much as I'm diving I think a decent set of books and a touch of self-reliance is my best option.

I think a decent set of books and a touch of self-reliance is my best option.

I suspect you are correct. You might supplement with the Audubon and Peterson Field Guides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom