Needed: Comprehensive Caribbean fish guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used both the Randall book and the Humann/Deloach book on the Caribbean and I've found fish I couldn't locate in either of them. I was hoping there was some third alternative that might be closer to all-encompassing.
The Humann books are good, but they don't always have pictures of juveniles. There's a pretty good chance that mayh of the fish you can't locate are in the book, but for the mature fish.

Oops…I gotta take a Mulligan. It struck me yesterday afternoon that I was overlooking Mark at The Dive Bus. He’s quite passionate about his reef en toto (In fact, that’s a sort of hallmark of all the people associated with The Dive Bus). And I get the feeling he doesn’t just know the taxonomical name of all the fish on his reef, he knows most of their given names, too (Gladys, Dirwood, Shlomo, etc.). Plus he knows where they work, what they do for a hobby, who’s zoomin’ who, …that sort of thing. :)

So I dropped in on him after work to talk about it. He’s recommending I take their Naturalist course and I think I’ll do that very thing, once we can resolve some scheduling problems. Given that he's also very attuned to marine critter behavior, I'd say this also will be a much-needed shove in the right direction for both fish ID and a better understanding of animal interaction on the reef.

So I bought the fish/coral/creatures Humann/Deloach book set from LeisurePro, and got reef fish behavior while I was at it. And as much as I dislike buying from them, I found a "good condition" copy of Randall's Reef Fish of the Caribbean at Amazon and bought it, too (hadn't picked up that it was out of print).

Now all I need to do is laminate 'em and I'm all set. :dork:

I have the full set of Humann/Deloach, ya know Fish, Coral & Creature. I think Creature is my favorite.

Hands down the most comprehensive field guide for fish is the Reef fish ID - Florida, Caribbean and Bahamas 4th Edition Interactive Edition... Just released one or two weeks ago. Available from ReefNet Inc. | Solving problems with deep thinking ... You will not find a more comprehensive guide for fish in the Caribbean region. I got my copy as soon as it was released (because I was a contributing photographer) outshines the book editions by far.

Hands down the most comprehensive field guide for fish is the Reef fish ID - Florida, Caribbean and Bahamas 4th Edition Interactive Edition... Just released one or two weeks ago. Available from ReefNet Inc. | Solving problems with deep thinking ... You will not find a more comprehensive guide for fish in the Caribbean region. I got my copy as soon as it was released (because I was a contributing photographer) outshines the book editions by far.
DEWD! Where were you a week ago??? My Humann/Deloach set arrived today. :(

My copy of the Randall book arrived today. Fist, I have to say I can barely tell if from new (printed 1999). Apart from the personalized Christmas message written inside the front leaf, I can’t tell it didn’t just fall off the shelf at Barnes and Noble. I’m no longer comfy buying through Amazon but this time the transaction ended extremely well.

Then there’s the book. I thought I had handled a copy of this before but now I’m not so sure. It is much more informative, more thorough, than any other Caribbean fish book I can remember picking up. I’ve only browsed it for maybe 30 minutes and already I’ve answered about half a dozen lingering “identity” questions.

I’m stoked. Thanks, all, for your advice. I can’t wait to start correlating identities with actions in ‘Fish Behavior”.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom