Need your help! Falls of Clyde as a Waianae divesite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

**UPDATE**
as of today,, looks like 98% sure foc will end up a dive site, there is a group called the friends of falls of clyde who are trying to get possesion of the vessel but they stated they can get insurance for about $36000 annually and 1 million for dry dock to get it stable, but the vessel remains uninsurable, even the bishop estate said they couldn't get insurance for it. They have until next week to come up with a plan and money or it will be sunk, one problem is with coast guard, they want to restep the masts and sink it with them up and then measure and cut the masts that are above the required depth,,,, THANKS TO YOU ALL who have made your voices heard, it definetly looks like a new dive site for us all to enjoy and hopefully they'll put out the word on when the sinking will take place, i'm sure lots of people will like to watch it. Watch tv4 news tonight for an update about the friends group but they'll need an act of GOD to pull it together in the next few days,,,, keep your fingers crossed

From the article, it doesn't sound like this group has presented Bishop Museum with any plan for which they will feel confident to be willing to relinquish stewardship of the FOC.

What kind of war chest does this Friends of the Falls of Clyde group have already? Who are they? Are they a non-profit organization?

Based on the article, doesn't sound like this near-shore sinking is very likely.:shakehead:

yeah,..from what I understand a typical coast guard scuttling is far different from an intentional dive site wreck.Does anyone know definitively if there is a difference? I have no idea, but it would seem like no only location, as MeiLing said, but a great deal of care in using the explosives or whatever when sinking it to preserve as much of the structure as possible.:(

dot has blessed the ship for near shore sinking (as far as being clean enough)
friends of falls of clyde haven't raised any money yet $00
no explosives needed just have to stop the bildge pumps
now we're working out the intended location for sinking
scotty

dot has blessed the ship for near shore sinking (as far as being clean enough)
friends of falls of clyde haven't raised any money yet $00
no explosives needed just have to stop the bildge pumps
now we're working out the intended location for sinking
scotty

Friends of Falls of Clyde were supposed to be raising money to keep her afloat. Are you saying that they haven't raised a dime? ju

Even though, they don't plan to use explosives, I'd rather doubt that they would try to control it with lift bags as someone previously suggested.

From what I heard, the masts were a potential problem, but I had read that they had been removed. Then I read that they were planning on re-stepping them. Why re-step them if they were creating an issue?

I thought that they had already picked a spot for her for the near-shore 120 yds away from the Mahi in 120 feet of water?

Is Bishop totally on board with this plan now that their Sept. 1 deadline has passed? Or do they need to get it past their board of directors still?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom