Need tips on tank mesh install...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure why you need it. Seems more trouble than it's worth. I have two Luxfer AL80s with a brushed no-coat finish and I won't even consider messing with mesh. I just don't see the need.

I like them for steel tanks, they help protect the paint and thus reduce corrosion. If the tank protector is on tight, I see no problem with the tank sliding out, especially if you get a decent tank strap like a scuba pro model.

My tanks get so beat up that the plastic mesh protector doesn't last more than a year or so.

dumpsterDiver:
My tanks get so beat up that the plastic mesh protector doesn't last more than a year or so.
Aren't they supposed to cut the things off to do a proper vis, anyway?

I had a problem getting my protectors on the first time also. I believe that I pushed them down from the shoulder of the tank. I do not dive with mine on the tanks, I only use them for transport as they are usually in a truck bed with other tanks and who knows what else. They slide right off and back on now.

Seems like a guy ought to just be able to get his questions answered. If he likes them it is his business.:shakehead If it is hot outside put the mesh and the tank in the sun for an hour or so and then they will slip on easily. If not, fill the bath tub with the hottest water you can get and soak them for a while. They will slip on then. I have used them for 5 years and they have kept my tanks from getting torn up and they have never slipped from my bc. When the tanks are inspected they just roll them up from the bottom and then roll it back down, it does not hurt the mesh at all.

Dont use 'em, now that I have parrot-ed the WHOLE thread. . . .

. . .put the cylinder in the shower, turn the water on hot, let it sit for a while with the mesh getting wet and hot at the same time, and bang whiz, slides right on!

I have gimongous 8 inch Fabers, and I DONT like them sliding into my doubles, so I very much agree, use them for transport, not for diving.

Hope this helps, happy Friday,

T

So I should actually get not so tight mesh and remove it before
I mount the tank on my BC?

Thanx PHAN, I will actually try to roll it on...

MG

I use them, but not for protectors, All of my tanks have the same color (Green) mesh on them, just so my dive buddy can identify me a little easier.

Here's a tip: don't use them, they're useless.

I have one that has the bigger holes in it and I just used the hot water method and then the other one is a tighter mesh and I used hot water and then also used my wifes hair dryer to help keep it warm while I was puching it over the take. I have had no problems with mine ever slipping out of my BC. Just make sure that your buckle is tight and you should have no problems...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom