need suggestions on double tank BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...with doubles setups (VA and NC)... IMHO, a bp/wing is a better choice, but the Ranger or the Zeagle Tech or something similar (maybe Deep Outdoors?) would fit your description of a jacket style (although these are back inflate) that can accommodate doubles.

Why do you want to switch from using a single al80 to using doubles? What size doubles are you looking at getting?

Wendy once bubbled...
Why do you want to switch from using a single al80 to using doubles? What size doubles are you looking at getting?

Finally... Some one w/the right question. Wendy, you're always looking between the lines..... No wonder you're a cop. :)

Are you ready to advance to doubles @ that depth yet. Are you going to be in warm salt? Cold salt? Fresh? And are you planing to dive a dry suit for secondary (back up) inflation?

OMG!!! I'm starting to sound like a DIR diver!!

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:

But, but, but, but the doubles look so cool on the cover of Imersed magazine!

Make sure that whatever you do that you check the manufactures recommendations. For instance, some wings are not recommend for a single alum 80

I use the Dive Rite with my twins. Here is what Dive Rite says about their wings :

Super Wings (item number BC2073) and SuperOne Wings (item number BC2076) can accommodate up to two 120-cubic-foot/19 litre back-mounted cylinders, and two 80-cubic-foot/11 litre stage bottles. (Super Wings or SuperOne wings should not be used with single cylinders.) The standard Super Wings incorporate a heavy-duty outer bag and redundant inner bladders with separate inflators and can provide up to 77 pounds/35 kg of lift, depending on gusset-control cord tension. The SuperOne Wings are the single-bladder version with up to 84 pounds of lift, depending on gusset-control cord tension. On both models, 22-inch/56cm low-pressure inflator hoses are standard.

Most importantly note:
Super Wings or SuperOne wings should not be used with single cylinders

Dive safe

well to be honest the groupI dive with most are somewhat tech divers and all have been using doubles for some time I feel every time my and my dive buddie have to go up early and other Groups are still down makes me kinda envious and I have done some deco dives and getting ready to take a advance trimix and nitrox class with it the instructor has suggested we do doubles and hes going to teach some on deco technigues ect and to be honest I wreck dives and most of the better wrecks hear in NC are at least 100 feet most being 130 to 150

I have been to NC many times, and most popular wrecks are <120 feet, though some are around 130. A single 120 is more than adequate for such excursions, unless you want to do some serious deco.

I think doubles may be appropriate if your instructor is prepared to work with you, but follow the advice of the others and take a hard look at why you are diving doubles. Also, do not be tempted to try deco without training. A deco obligation creates a virtual ceiling that complicates emergency planning.

=-)

medic13 once bubbled...
and getting ready to take a advance trimix and nitrox class with it the instructor has suggested we do doubles and hes going to teach some on deco technigues ect

You're going to take an advanced trimix and nitrox class :confused: And he suggested you use doubles and he's gonna teach a little deco :confused: :confused:

I'm sorry, but do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Another hot button! Can one dive doubles with a jacket BC, Yes! What is a Jacket BC, a recreational device. Most have plastic snaps that aid you in getting in or out of it easily. The inflator hose and valve are gennerally strustureally, humble. You could easily navigate recreational dives in a jacket style BC, however, stop and think........... I've heard that, I'm sorry the guy that started the thread, you are at the 130 foot mark. What does that tell you? You should be carrying additional gear, and not just air! Does your Jacket style BC, reguardless of what others are calling it, pack enough air to keep you neutral at depth? If you add the gear you should be carrying, a stage, or bail bottle, a reel or some sort of up line, a lift bag or surface marker, you have increased the weight your BC has to make neutral. Now, that BC has to carry this gear comfortably, safely, and have the structural integrety to survive the dive, as well as have numerous ways to store all your gear, in addition to repeating this 100s of times. A jacket BC wastes room! You are surrounded by air bladders. Those bladders aren't as well protected as a higher quality Wing, much less do they posess the air volume to be able to handle the task of making you neutral at depth, or buoyant at the surface with all that gear! You know your spending thousands on your gear. You probably spent bigger dollars for a regulator that out performs all others. This higher level of performance is also a requirement of your BC. When you make the leap to doubles, a review of your current gear is in order. These two units, BP and wing, and Jacket BC are very different. They are different for a reason. The Jacket is a compromise at best, stretching it's abilities to the far limits. The other is more specific for a reason, it's made for doubles and all that goes with it. Adding a singles adaptor makes it more versatile, but creates a new set of problems to be ironed out. Once they are worked out, In my opinion you have the best and safest of both worlds, recreational and technical. You won't find a recreational BC with straps as strong, a bladder as durable, and safe, or a platform as strong as a BP. I jump in the water knowing I have some of the best gear available specifically made for what I'm doing. Can you say that now? Please think, the decision is ultimately yours though.
Wreck/Tec

wazza once bubbled...
Get your self an OMS Dual Bledder

high lift capacity,...
Can lift 4 to 6 tanks .
More like a dozen, which begs the question: Why do people think you need a huge lift capacity if you dive doubles?

Answer: Because people get confused between weight of their gear in and out of the water (with the help of some confusing marketing, like OMS’).

Let’s say I’m perfectly trimmed for a single AL80 and I want to go to double AL80s, what increase in lift capacity, minimum, would I need?

Well, an AL80 swings from –3 to +3 pounds, so I’d need to actually add 3 pounds to my weight belt, though in reality the manifold probably would cover any weighting requirements. The only additional buoyancy requirements, since everything else cancels out, would be the equivalent of the swing of the cylinder, or in this case 6 pounds.

I dive double 104s with a 45-pound lift wing; it works great and is more than sufficient lift for the rig.

So how does the confusion occur? How does OMS sell their 100-pound lift wings to unsuspecting people?

Well, a typical recreational BC has about 45 pounds of lift or so (let me SWAG here). The new doubles diver thinks: I’ve got 45 pounds of lift now and I’m adding another 35 pounds of cylinder to my kit, so I need 45+35=80 pounds of lift, and I’ll just round up to 100 pounds!

Wrong.

That 35 pounds of cylinder only amounts to 6 in the water. That’s where the confusion lies, and I’ve even heard it explained wrong by “reputable” dive shops.

Contrary to common opinion, there is NO need for humongous lift wings with doubles!

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom