need some help with a v-weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmbaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hoping someone can help me out. My V weight all 11.2 lbs of it has worn through where the Backplate bolts go through as over the years the lead has worn down and now I have a giant hole so the bolts just slip through. Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to fix this up without melting down some lead?

Hoping to use what I have but the other solution is this: There is a vweight pouch from XS scuba that hold 7 lbs but that still leaves me short 4 lbs plus the 4-5 I wear on belt. XS Scuba V Weight Pouch discounts on sale XS Scuba

Thoughts?

Thanks

Attachments

• fullWeight.jpg
    fullWeight.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 105
  • wornthrough.jpg
    wornthrough.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 90
I'm not sure what the problem is? I put my v-weight on my doubles, and then my wing goes over the top of that, and the plate on that, and THEN the wing nuts. As long as the nuts won't go through the plate, it doesn't matter how big the holes in the v-weight are.

If I couldn't melt any new lead in the hole, I would try epoxy. If you can get a steel washer jammed in there while you're at it that might be good. Hard to tell without looking at the whole rig.

method A- Put the bolts in and then epoxy using JB Weld. JB found at walmart and auto parts stores.

Method B- Fill the holes with epoxy putty, wait till hard, then drill the epoxy for the bolts. I've used Harvey Company Epoxy Putty sticks in a tube from Home Depot plumbing dept. and it seems pretty tough.

Method C- Find a metal threaded plug from plumbing, auto. etc and screw in into the lead, then drill it for your bolt.

Let me clarify a bit, the weight is for my singles rig and sits in the channell of the plate, so the bolts come in through the back, whats happening is the hole in the weight is too big and the nylon nut threads onto the bolt but the hole in weight is too large so there is no way to secure it. Make sense? I can post a more detailed picture but the expoxy idea may just work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom