Need some help finding the right fins..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@TheShark1 as you're realizing, the design and stiffness of fins are a trade off. Soft/split/articulated fins don't put as much stress on your knees (and ankles) as stiffer fins when flutter kicking. But soft/split/articulated fins are crap for frog kicking. Yes, it is possible, but it isn't pretty, or efficient. Softer fins are also a poor choice if you need to fight a current. Stiffer and wider fins (e.g. jet fins) are good for frog kicking, really good for fine positioning, but aren't particularly good for flutter kicks. Yes you can flutter kick in them, but it feels really heavy, and if the flutter kick is going to be your primary kick, they aren't a good choice.
How should you deal with the dilemma? Firstly, it appears you have an issue with tired legs and sore knees when flutter kicking with stiffer fins. You're not alone with that one. Secondly, frog kicking is important to you, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it. It appears to me, you are actually asking the wrong question - forget fins for the moment, I think you would be better off asking (yourself and/or SB), "what can I do to stop my knees hurting when finning"? My suggestions:
1) Use the frog kick. It could become your primary kick, but at the very least use it as a regular go-to kick to give your knees a rest - frog kicking doesn't put as much stress on the knees and quads. Don't think of it as a tech divers' kick. It's a great kick for all scuba diving. The more you work on it, the more comfortable it will feel. Get the technique right, and it will feel even more comfortable. Fundies, etc. training will help, but so does getting an experienced (frog-kicking) diver to watch you and give you some pointers. There are also lots of videos on the internet. They are especially useful if you can get someone to video you underwater so you can see what you're doing, rather than just what it feels like you're doing.
2) Work on your leg strength and endurance - finning for an hour or so is not natural for most of us. Training will help. It could be swimming (focus on the kick more so than the arms), running, cycling, weight training, or hiking.
Now, getting back to fin choice. I dive with jet fins. They are stiff, wide, and heavy, and I don't think that's going to suit you. For good, light, comfortable fins that you can use in most circumstances, aren't too stiff, aren't too soft, will work for flutter kicking and frog kicking, I quite like Oceanic Vipers. They come in both open heal and full-foot styles. Like all fins, they are a compromise, but a pretty good compromise in my opinion.

My regular fins are Atomic splits which spare my bum knees. I learned to frog kick in them. I recently got a pair of the soft Deep 6 Eddy fins and have been working with frog in them. They are soft enough to not hurt my knees. I've done a bit of flutter in them, they're not too bad.

You might try snorkeling laps in the pool to build up leg strength. I use a kick board to keep my legs in the water. I do at least 1 mile 3-4 times a week. Can't recommend it enough. This is how I work out. Started out doing this to work on my flutter, but enjoy it so much I just kept doing it, as it's easy on my knees. It took me a few months to build up to doing 1 mile in a session. I was doing it in my splits, but I pull out the Deep 6 fins for part of every lap session to work on frog with them. Last week I did a whole mile just frog in the Deep 6 fins. Nice and slow. Really helps.

I'll second that getting video of your frog kick will be very helpful. I also videoed my instructor doing frog in the pool to have as a reference to go back to.

Op said not as stiff as Quattros, I don't think the F1s meet that criteria. They are a very heavy and stiff fin.

Yeah, I have never used any Mares fins, so I don't know how stiff those are. I just know the Hollis fins don't feel nearly as stiff as the Dive Rite fins - to me.

Sounds like you'd like the Hollis F1's. Incredibly comfortable foot pocket with 3-5 mil boots. Large loop on the spring straps for ease of doffing with heavy gloves. Deceptively good power considering how floppy they are compared to say the Lightning Jets from Scubapro.
You drop one over the side in deep water and you need to jump in asap - as in RIGHT FREAKING NOW b/c that sucker is heading down like a rocket ship. The most negative fin I've ever used but a very good purchase for me.

For my full foot fins, I prefer my Aqua Lung Express. Comfortable foot pocket in a 1-3 mil sock. Very good power and no gimmicky gee gaw gizmos like slingshot bands, 2 piece attachments or other weird failure points. Kind of a plain jane, old school durable rubber foot pocket and long plastic paddle. It's almost a hybrid (freediving / scuba) type deal.

Number 2 on the full foot is the redoubtable Voit Super Vikings or Vikings. - nuff said.

Last edited:
Absolutely, I've literally lost count of the number of fins I've gone through before finally settling on the DR XTs and Mares Power Planas. Ditto masks until I came across the AA frameless (V1) in medium.

Buddha. I really appreciate and trust your opinions on matters like this, as you have gone through so many masks and fins and have so much knowledge/experience.

What do you use the XT's for, and what do you use the Power Planas for? Could you please do a quick little compare/contrast of those two fins for me?

Buddha. I really appreciate and trust your opinions on matters like this, as you have gone through so many masks and fins and have so much knowledge/experience.

What do you use the XT's for, and what do you use the Power Planas for? Could you please do a quick little compare/contrast of those two fins for me?

Sure, just off to work, will do later today.

I use the XTs (m) when I'm diving a wetsuit, they are negative but not hugely so. They are quite stiff so if flutter kicking is your thing unless you have hulk like legs and stamina to match I'd pass on them. I predominantly frog kick and they, being so stiff, excel at that kick.

The Power Planas are heavier and also more negative, they aren't as stiff as the XTs but still frog kick very well. The blade (s) is shorter than the XTs and I'd say I'm faster in the XTs. Due to their weight I use them when diving a dry suit as I need some weight down low. The Planas are more comfortable but I don't have a problem with the XT. Some with high arches have complained about the XTs.

I've sold all other fins I have save some F1s just in case I ever end up with a bigger boot drysuit.

Hope this was of some use, finding the right fin for YOU can be an exercise in frustration.

Yeah, I have never used any Mares fins, so I don't know how stiff those are. I just know the Hollis fins don't feel nearly as stiff as the Dive Rite fins - to me.

They, MPP, are also not as stiff as the XTs. I'm skinny and have no issues with the XTs, I love them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom