Need some experienced advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am not a PSD, but have had much of the entry level training, and been a part of a few searches alongside local PD's. I'm looking into buying a reg., but need some help. I need something that is reliable, durable, fairly easy to self/field service, but I don't have the assistance of an department for the purchasing aspect. I've heard some good things about Sherwoods, but I've also heard otherwise as well. Oh, and I would prefer that my new reg doesn't weigh 50# either. Thanks for all you guys do, it doesn't go unnoticed. Any help you can give would be great! Thanks!

Tom

ANTI-FLAME DISCLAIMER: The following post is and opinion and an answer to a question. (Not looking to start a "my reg is better than your reg debate.")

A lot of the regs we use are Scubapro, most of the workhorse regs we use are particularly the R190 Second stage. They breathe great and are easy to breakdown for cleaning and maintenance. As far as the first stage, depends on what type of water you're diving in. I would suggest a sealed first stage for contaminated/cold water Mark 16 or New Mark 17, if not than a Mark 2, 10, 20, or 25 depending on your price range.

A lot depends on where your located, the type of diving you will be doing and weather conditions.

In the 30 years I have been on this team the only reg that has served us without failure is Sherwoods.

Over the past two training days we had air temps in the low 20's and water temps right at freezing. Couple that with two FNG's that we didn't teach how to handle a reg under those conditions and we didn't freeze any of them. Both the FNG's played with their air, doing everything wrong, prior to diving and they didn't freeze.

Those regs were dove one day, stored in the vehicles wet over night in single digit temps and dove the next day without any problems.

We have tested a wide variety of regs over the years and Sherwood is the only one that has held up to this kind of treatment.

They are also one of, if not the easiest reg to rebuild. Cost for parts is under $5.00 and it only takes a few minutes.

We prefer the Maximus. The under arm hose also helps lessen entanglement issues.

Gary D.

Depending on where you are working, similar to whatever the rest of your team is using. This goes for not only regs, but the rest of your equipment and configuration.

If there is no standardization, be very, very informed and aware of the risks you are taking..... especially regarding the contingencies if you get in a pickle.... like entangled in something you cannot see or even feel because of a zero visibility (as in you cannot see at all) environment.

rapidiver:
We equip the environmentally sealed Zeagle ZX/DSV on our Rapid Rescue System:
Rapid Rescue Pkg.

It's a tough reg. built in the U.S.A. w/ lifetime guarantee. Weighs only 1.96 lbs. Here's more info:ZEAGLE ZX/DSV

Rap
Here is a good example Narcosis36.

The Zeagle RRS is a great unit and has been put into service by rapidiver's team as well as teams all over the world. But for us it's not a good choice. We have way to many deep cold dives. We have a couple of areas where right off the road it can be 750' deep. It's very common in our area for vehicles to leave the road and go right to 70 or 100' before stopping.

If your diving recovery you can have a mix of gear but it's not the best idea. Diving rescue it should all be the same.

Gary D.

Locally we have sold Scubapro Mk 2's and Mk 16's to dive rescue squads. They are reliable in cold water, including ice diving and are simple to maintain. In the case of the Mk 2 it is absolutley as simple as a first stage regulator can get and is both bullet proof and incredibly easy to service.

The new Mk 17 would be ideal in cold water and the fully sealed design would be nice from a mainteneance standpoint in very silty water. In my experience, people always seem to drown in areas with no visibility.

Narcosis36:
I am not a PSD, but have had much of the entry level training
Tom
Could you please explain this.

Gary D.

My vote goes to Zeagle hands down!!!! I dive almost exsclusively cold water, 30-50F and many to 100+ deep. No failures to date, free-flows- non thus far.

I believe if a person sticks with a major manufacturer they will get a pretty reliable product. Certainly having an environmentally sealed regulator is preferred for public safety diving, especially if ice diving is an option.

I believe one of the most important considerations is having a local dive store than can provide service. If the dealer is 200 miles away, it makes it tough to get the annual service. The brands that have been mentioned are good and personally, I prefer Aqua Lung, but again, that is because I can get our team's equipment services at an Aqua Lung dealer that is less than a mile from our station. The dealer works well with our team and if they can't service a unit while we wait, then they give us a loaner at "no charge."

I would also caution against doing "field repairs" unless one is an authorized repair technician. Doing unauthorized repairs places both the user and the other team members at risk.

I am also surprised to see no one has mentioned and AGA mask for a second stage since that is the "industry standard."

Just my two cents.

Safe diving,

Blades Robinson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom