Need recommendations on my first dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point is and I think I supported it, if you think for a second that a wireless AI is something you would like, then go for it. In my case it would have saved me money. If you decide you don't like it, sell the transmitter and go without.

I am strictly a rec diver. I have no desire for staged deco, overheads etc. My most favorite dives are <40 fsw to look at the pretty fish and just enjoy being weightless and get away from phones etc. I have done a few to 100 fsw to see something in particular. I really like the display on my Datamask. I have aging eyes and it serves the purpose well, it is quite easy to see. I also like the display with the extra information wireless AI provides. I wish I had purchased it to begin with, it would have saved me money.

The Manta and the Geo (Oceanic version of the Manta) are both watch sized computers. My Gf is very petite with small wrists. And the Geo looks fine on her. Kinda like an oversized watch. Comparison wise her Geo on her wrist looks like my Citizen 300 meter Pro Diver watch on mine.

It's a nice unit and she has a great diagram for using all the functions that puts the manual to shame. But it's too small for my eyes and why I have a Predator and at some point if I don't get a Petrel I'll buy another used Predator for back up.

First of all, maybe a little grammar would help you get your point across better. Secondly, my number of dives should mean nothing. I said they're a mixed bag, people have mixed feelings about them, and that I was against them. I never mentioned why. It has nothing to do with linking failures.

-I'm diving multiple tanks so multiple transmitters would be required...which I don't want.
-They're relatively fragile. I've seen two transmitters snapped off. One was a guy carrying his bcd from where we assembled our gear to the water line on a shore dive. He grabbed the valved like everyone else, and the transmitter snapped. The second one, the tank slipped out of the camband and the transmitter was caught on a strap, snapped it off. Neither of them had spare plugs. Neither got to do any more diving for the day.
-MOST IMPORTANTLY, your AI computer only takes YOUR breathing rate into account. If your buddy has an equipment failure (or brain fart), your computer isn't smart enough to compensate for it. People get overly complacent from it, thinking that they have plenty of gas. Gas management is a crucial thing....and I sure don't want a buddy that blindly relies on an AI computer to tell them when to surface.
-In my cave and tech diving, switching gases on my computer to keep track of my deco schedule and air consumption isn't something I want to deal with.

These pro and con AI arguments are getting repetitive. Most recreational divers who use AI like it as it shows your air in one display so you're less likely to overlook it, works our your SAC and downloads the tank pressures, and shows your air time to assist with real-time gas planning. The air time is a piece of information and you have to understand exactly how it's derived to use properly. It can also assist you in deriving the rock bottom if you're diving with a buddy.

Those who justifiably shun AI are the cave divers and wreck penetration divers, where the air time is not that useful and where the transmitter can get whacked and become a failure point.

Especially for a beginning diver AI can make your dive safer IMO.

At a minimum, AI is a valuable convenience (having dive info, gas info, and maybe even a compass on one device all visible at once).

Once you understand how your computer makes the gas calculations, AI becomes an even more valuable source of information during the dive (real-time remaining gas), and in the logbook (SAC info under a variety of dive conditions which is always good information to know). In addition, when you learn more about gas management, by setting your end pressure in accordance with rock bottom calculations, you have real time effective gas management on your device with appropriate alerts.

All of these things are good for any recreational diver. Whether a diver wants them is a personal choice. But, they are not "bad" things, in any sense.

But, always, you just have to remember that a computer is a tool that you have to master, not have it master you by blindly following it.

And, of course, don't forget your back-up SPG and depth/time device.

In addition, when you learn more about gas management, by setting your end pressure in accordance with rock bottom calculations, you have real time effective gas management on your device with appropriate alerts.

Uh-oh... you just brought up ANOTHER controversial point!

.....so I can't be "condescending" over tech diving (which I didn't mean to be if I was) but you can be condescending because you think you've been on more dives? Fine, whatever. I brought up relevant points (I thought) to present facts to someone who may have not been aware.

Back on topic:

OP, I totally forgot about the Suunto Mosquito and the Aeris Manta. Aeris and Oceanic are owned by the same company, so the Manta is equivalent (identical) to one of the Oceanic computers (but I can't remember which). You might find a great deal on the Aeris, which is why I bring that up. Two features you didn't mention that I'd like to offer up are a backlit screen (or some way to read it at night/in the dark). Also, nitrox is much more useful than most OW divers think it would be. A computer that can deal with EANx is good. Something not everyone thinks you need is a computer with Gauge Mode. It's useful for a lot of things, but mostly for techy stuff...so not something you really need.

Sorry, I was irritable. The OP was regarding recreational diving. In my experience, AI is very reliable and not fragile. I like all the informaion I get, to each their own.

Good diving, Craig

Hi all. I'm in the same boat. We just bought a geo2 as a first dive computer, I think my wide will use this as I'm more keen on the information the AI computers supply. So looking at the Atom 3.1 and the OGS or OGi.

Decisions decisons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom