Need recommendations on my first dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunshinecat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking to buy my first dive computer and wanted some recommendations. I am an OW diver with about 25 dives so far, and I want to take 1-2 dive vacations a year with ~6-8 dives per trip. Eventually I may get AOW certification, but nothing beyond that. I'm looking for a watch style computer and had been looking at the Suunto D4i but my local dive shop discouraged me from it since it is difficult to get the batteries changed (they have to be shipped to Suunto for 4-6 weeks and it costs $80-90 every 1-2 years). They recommended looking at the Vyper Air instead, and they will extend the offer for the free Suunto transmitter. I haven't been able to see the Vyper Air since they are out of stock, but I was told that it is about the same size as the Zoop (which I don't care for because it's way too big for my small body). Air integration is nice, but I don't need it unless it's already included. User changeable batteries are nice unless it's easy to get them changed by a dive shop (is this an essential feature I should have?). I am willing to spend up to $725 for the D4i (with free transmitter), but for the amount of diving I do per year, I can't justify spending more than that. I asked the dive shop about other computers they had on their website, but they kept recommending the Vyper Air since it's a great deal with the free transmitter. Are there any other watch size computers I should look at? Thanks!

Transmitters are a VERY mixed bag, and people have VERY mixed reviews. I, personally, am VERY much against them.

Having said that, Oceanic has a couple of watch-sized computers out that function very well. My wife dives a Geo 2.0. A good friend owns an OCi. The Atom 3.0 and OCS are two other options. I believe all but the Geo are air integrated, if a transmitter is a requirement for you. I don't have experience with other watch-sized computers, but those should be enough to get you started.

Another thing to look at (I'm SOO sorry) but if you're looking at spending $725 on a D4i, you should also look at a Shearwater Petrel. It'll outdive you for years, and you won't be able to get NEARLY as much function out of it as you "should".....but the screen is gorgeous, Shearwater has fantastic Customer Service, they're bulletproof computers, and they transfer data to your computer via Bluetooth, unlike my PDC that requires a $110 cable to get data off of it. I don't think you need it, and it IS a big computer, but at that price range it's a gorgeous computer.

Another one to throw in the mix: I dive a Hollis DG03 that I really like. It was cheap, does what I want, and is AI....but it's not as small as a watch, and is much more similar in size to the Zoop.

Transmitters aren't bad in and of themselves, and for many people they work well. Where the debate comes out is going on a dive trip with only the transmitter to get your gas pressure; what if your computer malfunctions, or the transmitter loses the link with your computer, etc...

Any piece of dive gear can fail, pretty much.

A common recommendation to hedge your bets is to have either an analog SPG, or a backup (but console perhaps) AI computer along with you, just in case. Not a bad thing.

It's really convenient to glance at your wrist and have your gas pressure, depth & NDL right there, without reaching for a console.

Richard.

I agree with Richard about the transmitter issue.

Not trusting transmitters is one of the reasons we went with the Oceanic ProPlus 2.1 (PP3 is out now.) It is a console style, hose attached computer that is easy to read, easy to navigate, easy to download data to your computer. I recommend it, especially for a recreational diver.

Pro Plus 3

725 is what you are willing to go? Add a few more bucks and get a Petrel or based on the dives you do I would not worry about a computer. I sure as hell would not get anything I can't change the battery in myself. The Petrel runs on any AA battery. And you can change it yourself. Or go with something like this:
Aeris Manta Scuba and Free Diving Wrist Computer at LeisurePro

or
Oceanic GEO 2.0 Wrist Computer at LeisurePro

But don't blow 700 bucks on a computer with a transmitter that is going to cost you double in batteries every two years. The oceanic is what my GF dives and the Manta is the same computer. And batteries are 5 bucks or so. Your LDS wants your money, and if they know your needs and dive plans they are putting that above your best interests.

Transmitters are a VERY mixed bag, and people have VERY mixed reviews. I, personally, am VERY much against them.

Having said that, Oceanic has a couple of watch-sized computers out that function very well. My wife dives a Geo 2.0. A good friend owns an OCi. The Atom 3.0 and OCS are two other options. I believe all but the Geo are air integrated, if a transmitter is a requirement for you. I don't have experience with other watch-sized computers, but those should be enough to get you started. Maybe when Victor gets in a few more dives he will become more tolerant.

Another thing to look at (I'm SOO sorry) but if you're looking at spending $725 on a D4i, you should also look at a Shearwater Petrel. It'll outdive you for years, and you won't be able to get NEARLY as much function out of it as you "should".....but the screen is gorgeous, Shearwater has fantastic Customer Service, they're bulletproof computers, and they transfer data to your computer via Bluetooth, unlike my PDC that requires a $110 cable to get data off of it. I don't think you need it, and it IS a big computer, but at that price range it's a gorgeous computer.

Another one to throw in the mix: I dive a Hollis DG03 that I really like. It was cheap, does what I want, and is AI....but it's not as small as a watch, and is much more similar in size to the Zoop.

BS, VERY, VERY, VERY... I've have an Oceanic VT3 primary since July 2010 with 340 dives on it. No linking failrures and one self battery change for computer and transmitter. I love having my air consumption and SRMV. I do dive a Geo2 and SPG backup and have never needed either. People have their own strong, personal, opinions. Maybe when Victor has a few more dives, he will become more tolerant.

OK, here goes. I bought a Veo 250 for my first dive computer. I looked at the other AI and AI wireless computers and thought that I didn't want to spend that much.

It served me well and I liked it but I still liked the idea of an AI. I liked the idea of a wrist mount too but did not think I wanted to spend the money for that option. After the first 2 trips with the VEO, I sold it and bought a Suunto Cobra 3. I was quite happy with it because it was AI and gave me all kinds of information.

But I still like the idea of having AI and I should have known I wanted wireless because I wanted it to begin with. I soon did some trading and ended up with a DataMask. I have been perfectly happy ever since. I bought a Oceanic BUD as a backup computer, bought a SPG that goes in the dive bag and can be added if there are problems with the wireless AI I can add that and use the BUD if necessary.

Had I bought what I really wanted to begin with it would have saved me money. So the end result is, take your time, get what you want the first time and it will save you money in the long run. At least that is my experience. YMMV.

My main dive computer is an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt (console), but my backup is my old Oceanic Worldwide VT3. My VT3 loses connection with the transmitter occasionally, but these occurrences are brief and haven't compromised any of my dives.

Richard.

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2014 at 07:16 PM ----------

Oh, didn't think to mention. With AI and a computer that can download dives to a computer, my computer (both, actually) log my start & end gas pressures, along with depths and times, and upon download to my computer's log software (MacDive), I get all that plus my calculated SAC easily.

Without having to write down start & end pressures before/after each dive. Nice when shore diving Bonaire, or even repetitively boat diving, when I don't want to fool with paper & pencil.

The Petrel others have mentioned has a strong rep. as a fine computer with a good interface (no small thing for dive computers, which are infamous for bad ones; that's why I bought a Cobalt even through I already had a VT3). And the Petrel is a tec.-ready computer, so if you go into tec. diving, it can follow you nicely. But it's not an AI computer.

Richard.

Although the Petrel is an awesome computer I don't know why people suggest it to you as you state a Zoop is too big for your wrist since the Petrel larger (3.25” x 2.875” x 1.375” for the Petrel vs 2.42"x2.39" x 1.07" for the ZOOP).
Honestly for the type of diving you are doing your money would be better spent on a $200-300 recreational computer that will have more capabilities than you need and you can sell it when/if you feel the need to upgrade eventually.
As far as AI it's a mixed bag. My transmitter has never failed me and when I travel I bring a simple pressure gauge on a hose in my bag that tucks in my BC that can be pulled out when that day comes.
I have friends that travel with Atoms and like them, as well as Suunto Mosquitos (they don't make them anymore but they are pretty easy to find used) and the UWATEC Meridian.

BS, VERY, VERY, VERY... I've have an Oceanic VT3 primary since July 2010 with 340 dives on it. No linking failrures and one self battery change for computer and transmitter. I love having my air consumption and SRMV. I do dive a Geo2 and SPG backup and have never needed either. People have their own strong, personal, opinions. Maybe when Victor has a few more dives, he will become more tolerant.

First of all, maybe a little grammar would help you get your point across better. Secondly, my number of dives should mean nothing. I said they're a mixed bag, people have mixed feelings about them, and that I was against them. I never mentioned why. It has nothing to do with linking failures.

-I'm diving multiple tanks so multiple transmitters would be required...which I don't want.
-They're relatively fragile. I've seen two transmitters snapped off. One was a guy carrying his bcd from where we assembled our gear to the water line on a shore dive. He grabbed the valved like everyone else, and the transmitter snapped. The second one, the tank slipped out of the camband and the transmitter was caught on a strap, snapped it off. Neither of them had spare plugs. Neither got to do any more diving for the day.
-MOST IMPORTANTLY, your AI computer only takes YOUR breathing rate into account. If your buddy has an equipment failure (or brain fart), your computer isn't smart enough to compensate for it. People get overly complacent from it, thinking that they have plenty of gas. Gas management is a crucial thing....and I sure don't want a buddy that blindly relies on an AI computer to tell them when to surface.
-In my cave and tech diving, switching gases on my computer to keep track of my deco schedule and air consumption isn't something I want to deal with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom