Need: Parts advice for reconditioning Royal Aqua Master double hose regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the link. There are no pics though, and I can't quite figure out what needs to be done to the Vice-Grips. Could someone send a snap of theirs, please?

Another vote for the platinum kit. Then get new wagon wheels, silicon hoses and diaphragm, and reuse you mouth piece. It might end up looking like this one I finished up last weekend, but I also had the cans re-chromed.

RAMRig.jpg

Here is another link on Removing/installing C clips:
Vintage Double Hose • View topic - Removing/installing C clips

Personally I would get rid of the clips and get a band clam. I have been rebuilding regulators (including double hose) since the early 70’s and I always hated those clips.

I have been using a band clamp on my RAM since 1971 and never had any issues with any of the original clamps or any of the reproduction ones.

In the past, I have had to adjust some of the reproduction band clamps to work with some of the diaphragms, but all the new silicone diaphragms work great with the new band clamps.

With a properly installed band clamp I have never had the cans slip.

I dive most every weekend in salt water and I like to be able to open the cans easily and inspect and clean the dry chamber if needed. I don’t open it every weekend, but it is easy to do with the clamp. I prefer to inspect the regulator on a regular basis and extend the interval between rebuild. Normally I only have to rebuild every 5 to 10 years.

I realize that the clips came with most US Divers regulators, but the band clamps were an available upgrade from US Divers since the late 50’s.

From an engineering stand point I personally always thought the clips were kind of a kludge. This is just my own personal opinion, but I never liked the concept of deforming metal every time you want to clamp a case close (or to open it). It just doesn’t seem right.

This is just my personal opinion and I am aware that many collectors and a few divers do use the clips, but my observation is that the large majority of divers that use double hose on a regular basis prefer the band clamp.

Here is another link on Removing/installing C clips:
Vintage Double Hose • View topic - Removing/installing C clips

Personally I would get rid of the clips and get a band clam. I have been rebuilding regulators (including double hose) since the early 70’s and I always hated those clips.

I have been using a band clamp on my RAM since 1971 and never had any issues with any of the original clamps or any of the reproduction ones.

In the past, I have had to adjust some of the reproduction band clamps to work with some of the diaphragms, but all the new silicone diaphragms work great with the new band clamps.

With a properly installed band clamp I have never had the cans slip.

I dive most every weekend in salt water and I like to be able to open the cans easily and inspect and clean the dry chamber if needed. I don’t open it every weekend, but it is easy to do with the clamp. I prefer to inspect the regulator on a regular basis and extend the interval between rebuild. Normally I only have to rebuild every 5 to 10 years.

I realize that the clips came with most US Divers regulators, but the band clamps were an available upgrade from US Divers since the late 50’s.

From an engineering stand point I personally always thought the clips were kind of a kludge. This is just my own personal opinion, but I never liked the concept of deforming metal every time you want to clamp a case close (or to open it). It just doesn’t seem right.

This is just my personal opinion and I am aware that many collectors and a few divers do use the clips, but my observation is that the large majority of divers that use double hose on a regular basis prefer the band clamp.

Luis and I have made several dives together, and have had many interesting discussions about vintage double hose regs. Let's just say that not a single one of my double hose regs have clips on them.

IMO, they were, and still are, just a "cheap" way of holding the two cans together. Do yourself a big favor and install a band clamp. As Luis pointed out, the clamps were an "upgrade" since the 50's. In fact, when the USN was first testing the DA Aqua-Master, they reported that the factory should consider issuing a band clamp as a standard feature.

If you are a purist, and want your reg to be in its completely original state, then go with the clips.

Greg

I'm glad to hear all the good reports about the band clamps. Maybe I gave up on them too soon, but the clips really don't bother me for as often as I need to get into the cans.

Thanks for the link. There are no pics though, and I can't quite figure out what needs to be done to the Vice-Grips. Could someone send a snap of theirs, please?

I don't know what's going on with the pictures. I know they are still in photobucket, so I'll have to trouble shoot the problem when I get back home. Sorry about that:idk:

I use similar side cutters to remove the clips. Grab them on the side and use a gental rocking motion to remove them. Take a good look at the cans, you will notice the notch is much deeper in the exhaust (outter) can than in the supply can. To remove them, you need to rock them out of the supply (inner) can first. Lay the reg on a table with the label down and rock the nips downward toward the table. Once you get it free of the supply can, the clip will drop off the exhaust can.

Pliers modified to remove clips. The pliers don't grab the sides of the clip, they slip under the clip and pry it open slightly before twisting to pull the clip off.

Attachments

• removal tool (Small).JPG
    removal tool (Small).JPG
    33 KB · Views: 160
  • Clip removal pliers (Small).JPG
    Clip removal pliers (Small).JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 164
I hate to say it, but I predict you will rue the day that you decided to stay with the clips.

I hate to say it, but I predict you will rue the day that you decided to stay with the clips.

Making this decision was not an irreversable option, and neither is going to a band clamp. I predict he will rue the day he tosses the clips in the trash if he ever decides to go to a band clamp. Anyone thinking about tossing their original (not reproduction) clips, please PM me first!

Captain showed the tool of choice for the job. I modified a small pair of end cutters as it was a much easier conversion, but for some reason the end cutters were really hard to find locally. I guess no one uses them much anymore? Anyhow, it turned out in the long run that it may have been easier to modify the pliers afterall.

Back
Top Bottom