Need opinions on lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stinggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking to purchase my first dive light. I don't know what I should look for in a good light. Some of you may be wondering what kind of diving I will be doing. Well, other than the usual, I do want to do wreck diving (no caves I'm chicken).
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You did not mention price $$$

For a primary light I use the Salvo Rebel 12w LED. It is a canister light (can light). The battery pack attaches to your belt and the light head straps to your hand with a goodman style handle and allows for hands free operation. The battery is rechargeable and lasts for 4 hours of continuous operation between charging. The light is made out of Delrin. MSRP $780

Salvo - Rebel LED Lights

For back-ups I also use the Salvo Rat JR LED lights that sclakediver mentions above. Previously I used the Oxycheq Raider LED lights, but I recently had one explode. They are made of aluminum and evidently it was seeping water on the batteries through one of the seals and it got hot being in the sun for 5 minutes after a dive and BAM!!

If you ever want to see what they are like you can try mine out at Hudson Grotto any Sunday.

Good luck

Sean

I would second the SL4/SL4Led. You can get the SL4 for ~ $40 and the Led for ~$75. One thing to note is that both of these are focused lights, i.e. - they have a very narrow beam. This is much better for signaling your buddy than a wider, flood light-like beam. I have one of each as a back up to my 10W Salvo HID primary light. These take regular "C" cell batteries.

The other good thing about them is if you do get into wreck diving, you will likely want a cannister style light (HID or Led) as your primary light and then the SL4's can be used as back-up lights. Note that you normal pistol grip style light is not very good as a back-up, since it can not be readily stowed away w/o being "dangly".

One suggestion, don't dive w/ anybody who has a good HID or Led cannister light. Once you do that, you will be instantly transformed from "who the h**l would buy a $1000 flashlight" to "it's an absolute necessity for all my diving" :)

If you do want to spend the $$, you can typically pick up used 10W HID's for around $400. My personal preference is a Salvo.

John

I would second the SL4/SL4Led. You can get the SL4 for ~ $40 and the Led for ~$75. One thing to note is that both of these are focused lights, i.e. - they have a very narrow beam. This is much better for signaling your buddy than a wider, flood light-like beam. I have one of each as a back up to my 10W Salvo HID primary light. These take regular "C" cell batteries.

The other good thing about them is if you do get into wreck diving, you will likely want a cannister style light (HID or Led) as your primary light and then the SL4's can be used as back-up lights. Note that you normal pistol grip style light is not very good as a back-up, since it can not be readily stowed away w/o being "dangly".

One suggestion, don't dive w/ anybody who has a good HID or Led cannister light. Once you do that, you will be instantly transformed from "who the h**l would buy a $1000 flashlight" to "it's an absolute necessity for all my diving" :)

If you do want to spend the $$, you can typically pick up used 10W HID's for around $400. My personal preference is a Salvo.

John

I'd say go for one of the common back up lights that wreck, cave, and tech divers use. They are reliable, have long burn times, and are typically still very bright. Something like the Salvo Rat, halcyon scout, dive rite 500 or something or the other. I sometimes use an intova 3watt on an oxycheck handsock so that my hands are always free.

Yes, don't dive with anyone with a can light. A little over a year ago I saw my first one and I quote "Who the hell pays 800 dollars for a flashlight!! That's wwaaayy WWAAAYY at the bottom of my list of things to buy!!"
Today, my primary can light's (Salvo 21 watt HID 5 hour burn) MSRP.... $1480. Go figure.

I am looking to purchase my first dive light. I don't know what I should look for in a good light. Some of you may be wondering what kind of diving I will be doing. Well, other than the usual, I do want to do wreck diving (no caves I'm chicken).
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Gulftex Photon Torpedo is a great light (focused beam). It is very durable.Cost is just over $100 or get the LED version for about $150. Ikelite PC is another less expensive choice.

stinggirl
Lights are not the easiest choice anymore

Reliability - before buying a light do a quick search to see if the are an unusual amount of failures. There are some manufacturers that are known for amazing customer service... I prefer a reliable light that never has to be sent back.

Power/Lumens - More is usually better.
Watt - (W) is a measure of energy conversion, not brightness (50W halogen and a 10W HID can be similarly bright)
lumens - a measure of the perceived power of light (total light power emitted)
lux - a measure of the intensity of light hitting a surface (spot lights have higher lux than an equal Watt/lumen flood light)

Lamp/Bulb
Halogen - once great, but now more of a the 'budget' solution
HID - little better 'color temp' than LED, good burn time
LED - the new kid, better burn time, durable, probably the 'future'

Burn Time - Again, more is better. Consider how many dives you can get off one set of batteries or full charge

Beam Focus
adjustable - flexibility is nice, especially if you only have one good light
narrow - generally better distance, and ability to 'signal' your buddy
wide - lights up a larger area, rather than a 'spot'

Batteries
common size - some battery sizes are hard or impossible to find (especially abroad)
rechargeable - better IF you dive a lot and remember to recharge/maintain the batteries (outlet issues when traveling)

On/Off
switch - easier to use single handed, but one more place to leak
twist - two hands needed, will leak/flood if twisted too far open

Size & Shape/Style
handheld - common, usually smaller and easier to stow or attach (4AAA - 3C)
lantern - uncommon, handle above light, usually a larger (8D)
pistol grip - common, medium sized lights (4C - 8C)
canister - "technical", battery pack with 3' cord and a light head

Deciding
  1. determine the best 'lamp' for your diving (LED, 50 lumens, 20* beam)
  2. determine duration needed (2 x 1hour dive x 3 day trip)
  3. make sure the product is reliable and has a solid/easy warranty
  4. get a good 'backup' light, because even the best lights eventually fail

I also use a Salvo 12 watt Rebel LED. Great light and if you are really considering wrecks with any penetration at all you will need a cannister at some point. I was also using a couple pelican sabrelights as backups but recently switched to a pelican mighty light and a Doresy back up. I don;t know the model but it uses 6 AAA batteries, is LED and has get this 180 lumens! I believe the rat is around 90. It really is a laser beam and I just saw them somewhere for 50 bucks a piece but cannot remember where. If I find it I'll post but someone was running a deal- 2 for 98 dollars and I'd say they are well worth it. In fact if i do find it again I'm gonna order 2 more.

OK , if you Tampa people let me , I will give my .25 cents from Cave Country ... (EEK)

I used to dive HID canister lights but got my 1st LED light head about 6 months ago.
I like the light output (10W) and the battery lasts LONGER than it did using a HID light head.

Myself , I still use a DiveRite SlimLine Canister.

Another thing , me always being a er , clutso , I was , from time to time , bumping my light head around and with the HID , they would break if you touched them the wrong way. But the LED head , I can boopie that around pretty good and it still runs fine :D

And all of the lights they have been discussing about are used up here too. Everyone seems to LOVE LED lights , whether for primaries OR for backup lights.
I also have used the RAT...Great little light

OK , dat's my .25 cents worth.

Bottom Line: LED's are geat !!! (IMHO)

We now return you to your usual Tampa Area Divers.
(End of interruption)

Jeano of Beano

P.S. Hi , all you salties down there. :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom