Need opinions on lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Jean.

BTW, anyone know of a good source for an MR-11 LED that I can retrofit an HID light-head?

Thanks,
Dave

For wreck diving I use a Niterider Pro Diver canister light ///:::...NiteRider Dive Lights International...:::\\\. It has a dual bulb head (5W &15W), the canister mounts easily on cumberbun and the head has a choice of mounts (head strap or goodman handle). It uses 5 D cells and is good for about 10 hours and not quite as pricey as the Diverite and Salvo units.

Previous posters have made allot of good suggestions. Many of these lights can be very exspensive! Why spend alot of money for your first light? 3-4 years ago I bought 2 sets of Princten tec LED lights. For less than $100.00 you can get a primary and a back up light.( they have worked well for me and my son!)
I recently have just purchased a LED canister light made by salvo. But I am now certified for Wreck Penetration. But this canister light retails for $780.00 for one light!
To me it is a personal preference with all the good choices out there. But it is a waste to spend more than needed based on diving level and personal preference!!!!!

Previous posters have made allot of good suggestions. Many of these lights can be very exspensive! Why spend alot of money for your first light? 3-4 years ago I bought 2 sets of Princten tec LED lights. For less than $100.00 you can get a primary and a back up light.( they have worked well for me and my son!)
I recently have just purchased a LED canister light made by salvo. But I am now certified for Wreck Penetration. But this canister light retails for $780.00 for one light!
To me it is a personal preference with all the good choices out there. But it is a waste to spend more than needed based on diving level and personal preference!!!!!

I totally agree. I also appreciate all of the advice. It has given me alot to think about.

You can purchase and go through several of the $100 dollar dive lights or you bite the bullet and invest in a dive light that will last..........You pay for what you get....I have the Niterider 3000 and love it. It has a dual light head which can be head moounted or simply use a goodman bar. I get close to a full 3 hours when just using the 12W bulb and around 2 hours when just running the 20W bulb. You can run both bulbs at the same time for 32W, but that takes burn time down to a litttle over 1 hour +/-. I have flooded my light head in saltwater [my fault] and didn't realize it for two days [very, very ugly] - I disassembled the head and cleaned it throughly in fresh water - replaced the two bulbs [$20] each and was back up and running just like new.
The newer style LED light's have a much longer burn time than the old standard bulbs, but everything comes at a price!!! Remember Nothing's Free............and that's even true when purchasing dive lights.

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone for their advice. I believe I will be going with Scubacrabs advice. :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom