Need newbie info about Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubby-doo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Need some info about CAicos.
Wife and I have been to Cayman, and St Croix.
Looking for some world class diving in CAicos.
WHat part of the island to stay in, where to dive ?

I am surmising based on some research: is this correct ?

North Caicos - rich area, high$$ hotels and resorts
South Caicos - remote, not much there
West Caicos - more populated , lots of diverse lodging.

Where to stay for decent lodging, good dining.

There is good diving all over Caicos but the best places are Grand Turk, Salt Cay (wreck of Endymion) and South Caicos. Provo is okay but be advised, it takes 40 min or so to reach dive sites depending on who you go with. Check out Grand Turk. I think it might be what you are looking for. You can also do Salt Cay in the same trip. Go with Grand Turk Diving (Smitty) or Oasis Divers (talk to Dale) They are supposed to be building on N Caicos but I haven't heard anything thus far. I know of one resort there but that is about it. PM me with any questions. I'm actually going there this week but will be bouncing around most likely

I'm splitting hairs, but the place is Turks and Caicos. It is made up of several islands with all the (cardinal direction) Caicos islands plus Providenciales plus a few more making up the 'Caicos' chain and Grand Turk, Salt Cay and a few more being the 'Turks' group.

I think the wall diving off of Provo is spectacular and I've heard (but not experienced) that the South Caicos and Grand Turk diving is better still.

I'd base your decision on what amenities you're looking for topside as I suspect wherever you end up, the diving will be awesome.

Rachel

So it sounds like the place to stay is Turks then... even tho its not the tourist trap like Provo is.
My wife likes the tourist trap crap slap. I do not. I like it quiet, and tranquil, nothing going on, unless I drive to the happening spot. I hate other rude people's noises. I want to hear surf and birds, thats all. But I want to dine well tho, and not eat goat sandwiches...So then I wonder, how close is TUrks to Provo then if she wants to go there... is it a boat ride, a plane ride ? or is there some shopping in Turks to scratch her itch ? I want world class diving... and quiet beach.

Provo is the most developed of the TCI. Cockburn town, Grand Turk is actually the capital. There are four or five restaurants in GT..all of them good...Grand Turk Inn being the most diverse of choices. Sandbar has the best local food as well as burgers and quesadillas. Bohio is hit or miss but you can get pasta and sometimes filet. GT is about a 20 min hop on the Skyking from Provo..about a $150 RT. There is no shopping in GT. That would be Provo. Beaches are definately quiet..nightlife..there is one band who plays at Osprey and Saltraker twice a week....DMs make up the band...it's pretty cool. The diving is pristine....and about a 5 minute boat ride from shore. Both dive ops will take you to Salt Cay is you want to check that out too. In Salt Cay, ask for Porter who runs the Island Thyme Bistro...he's hilarious and it makes a good day trip. As for lodging, stay at Mantahouse, Osprey or Grand Turk Inn. All have websites. They are all on the same street..Front Street..right across from the beach.

I read that hte cruise ship dock is on TUrk on the "Carnival built" dock is next door to the GT Inn... is that true ? if so, then there is NO WAY I would ever stay there. I would NEver stay anywhere near the cruise ship dock.... too much commotion and noise.
However, if the good part of GT is on the other side of the island than the cruise ship dock, then I may be interested. Lookin for quiet, secluded, pristine, but good dining, maybe some nightlife.
so it seems we should be going to Provo. WOndering if the main airport is on Provo, which is a direct flight from the states.. or if a puddle jump is needed once we get to TC.

No the cruise ship dock is no where near any place people stay. It's on the south end of the island.Yes, the main airport is in Provo. Like I said, you take the Skyking to GT from Provo..inter island flight.

We stayed in Provo a few years ago and are going back next month. Sangrl is correct that the best dive sites are 30-40 minutes away if you stay on Provo but we found the diving to be excellent. Regarding your concern on tourism, in my opinion, there is not much tourism on Provo or anywhere else. That said Provo has a lot more to do topside than in Grand Turk. We stayed at the Sands Resort and dove with Caicos Adventures and both were very good.

Regards,

Bill

We are staying in Ocean club in Provo, and we will do the 40 min boat rides to the good diving, thats ok. I will take Bonine to handle the seas. It works well. I read the Turk is so remote , that there is nothing to do topside, nothing at all. We do liek to hike, bike or check out siteseeing, so Provo should be the best for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom