Need HP hose to mount Perdix AI transmitter. Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had my transmitter on my first stage and then moved it to a 6" hose. I wear my Perdix on my left wrist so I put the short hose on the left and tie-wrapped it to my inflator hose so it doesn't move too much. I also carry a spare short HP hose in my Save-a-dive kit along with some air spools of each size.

Why would anyone grab a tank with a regulator on it anyway?

After you watch someone grab your transmitter on your first stage as a handle and your heart stops for a couple of seconds while through your mind is racing the thought "where can I hide the body" you won't ask that question about why would anyone grab a tank with a regulator on it again. You'll just put it on a short hose. Fortunately, my sudden shout stopped the well-meaning DM and no damage was done.

Cheers - M²
:cheers:

I had my transmitter on my first stage and then moved it to a 6" hose. I wear my Perdix on my left wrist so I put the short hose on the left and tie-wrapped it to my inflator hose so it doesn't move too much. I also carry a spare short HP hose in my Save-a-dive kit along with some air spools of each size.

After you watch someone grab your transmitter on your first stage as a handle and your heart stops for a couple of seconds while through your mind is racing the thought "where can I hide the body" you won't ask that question about why would anyone grab a tank with a regulator on it again. You'll just put it on a short hose. Fortunately, my sudden shout stopped the well-meaning DM and no damage was done.

Cheers - M²
100% this above.

Would that do more potential damage than good?? You jump in the water and the tramsmitter flops around

Why move the AI to a hose? Now it can flop around and hit the tank and cause potential damage. I am against the idea for what its worth.

A six inch hp hose won’t be doing any flopping once pressurized....

Mine doesn’t flop enough even when not pressurized. I did this because I’ve seen people grabbing it when they grab my first stage area and I also check my regs because I have camera gear to carry on instead. I’m also worried about it snapping in checked baggage. It has worked out really well and actually opens up the first stage area from being so crowded.

A few in our group have had a few hundred dives with the transmitter on a short hose like this and there have been no issues regarding damage to tank or transmitter. Shore dives, strides, backrolls.

You will also need a spool valve with its O-rings for each transmitter..

Hmm. When I think of "spools" for diving, this is the picture I have in my mind...
41Nm2E7OZkL._AC_US218_.jpg

At first I thought you were kidding. But others are chiming in, so this must really be a thing. If I search for "spool valve" all sorts of interesting hydraulic assemblies come up (example), and even though I bet those would be fun to play with, I don't think that's what you mean.

Can someone explain what this is - some sort of a coupling? I had assumed that any HP hose would come with standard male/female couplings at both ends, matching the first stage port (female) and the transmitter (male) ends. Is that not so? And, more to the point, what purpose does this "spool valve" serve? Any pointers to one?

DM’s on cattle boats are grabbing regs all the time. I wouldn’t risk my transmitter being grabbed or banged either.

I don't usually find myself on cattle boats, but even on the boutique dive op boats or too-expensive live-aboards, you sometimes get a local DM "helper" (the new guy) handling tanks who is not completely savvy about all gear details. It hadn't occurred to me that someone might try to lift a tank by using the transmitter as a handle, but I can easily imagine someone doing that, and Bad Things resulting.

Why add another point of failure? Why would anyone grab a tank with a regulator on it anyway?

Seriously??? How often do HP hoses and o-rings fail? That said I have seen deck dorks grabs what they can when grabbing one's kit.

Would that do more potential damage than good?? You jump in the water and the tramsmitter flops around

Why move the AI to a hose? Now it can flop around and hit the tank and cause potential damage. I am against the idea for what its worth.

Obviously you have never seen such a set up. Like anything involving hoses it is all about routing. One can tuck the transmitter between the wing and tank. It will stay there without issue.

Can someone explain what this is - some sort of a coupling?

From House of Scuba:
acc450.jpg

It allow the SPG to swivel freely whilst connected to the HP hose.

Last edited:
And, more to the point, what purpose does this "spool valve" serve? Any pointers to one?

HP Spools

"P2" works but type "P3" will also work. I have 3 or 4 of each type in my SAD kit.

Cheers - M²

Thank you.

FWIW, searching using the term "scuba spool valve" was not turning up any meaningful results.
Searching on "scuba high pressure spool stem" did the trick.

Now I see both the "spg stem P2" and "HP stem P3" types. Same price, more or less (varies by seller, but all are inexpensive).
The P3 is explicitly labeled "HP" , the P2 is not. Important?
What are the advantages of one over the other?
All things being equal (are they?), I'd lean towards the smaller of the two - looks like the P2 is stubby - shorter but wider; the P3 is longer but thinner.
Assuming the "spool stem" will stick out of the regulator first stage, then I'd probably rather have a "shorter" stem (a longer stem risks being used as a lifting handle just like the transmitter would).

So how exactly do these attach?

Transmitter - hose - stem spool - first stage?
Transmitter - stem spool - hose - first stage?

(And yes, I know: get spare o-rings when I get the stems, and bring them along...)

Thanks again, appreciate the education.

Obviously you have never seen such a set up. Like anything involving hoses it is all about routing. One can tuck the transmitter between the wing and tank. It will stay there without issue.
You are correct; I have never seen such a setup.
Perhaps someone can post a picture.
I am not opposed to it. As I said in another post discussing this, it in fact can allow for better transmission to the computer. I just did not want the thing flapping around hitting the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom