Need help with Regulator choice ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
so this is the first post on SC and i cnat seem to decide on what regulator i should get between SCUBAPRO MK25/A700 , APEKS XTX200/din and POSEIDON jetstream/din
now since i do know that they are top of the line, my question is what would be the best choice ? i will be diving in the great lakes, warm water and maybe some ice diving but that is a big maybe!

I dive the MK25/A700 and love it, but I would not use it for Ice diving. I don't have any experience with the Poseidon regs, but have heards good things about them, except for the availability of service parts was at one time very hard to get, but a rep from Poseidon told me in February they are working on a better customer support. Out of the regs you listed the XTX200 would be your best choice for the type of diving you listed. The XTX200 is a environmentally sealed first stage regs, which is a must for ice diving.

I have heard several people use the MK25 first stage in ice diving with great success, but then again, I only hear about this on the internet. I live too far south, so no ice diving for me.

Apeks regs are a popular choice for cold water diving in Canada. You might also want to look at XTX50 with a DS4 1st stage which will give you the same type of performance at less cost. Mine have been used for ice diving and the cold waters of Newfoundland with no problems.

I would go with Apeks, not with high priced XTX200 but with XTX 50, you are not sacrificing anything.
Another option to consider would be SP MK17/G250V, better bor the very cold water than mk25
Having said that I started diving mK25 this year in waters as low as 40f and they worked. But I also have a backup set of zeagle flathead vi for very cold water

Do you have dealers for all 3 nearby for service? If you're going to travel to warmer climates you might find better support for either the Scubapro or the Apeks (Aqualung) if it's ever needed. Another option might be one of the better Atomic Aquatics models, the B2 or ST1 - both have 1st stage seal/freeze kits - ST1 it's included, B2 it's an option. They're the other "top of the line" regs. Atomic Aquatics: The Best Regulators Ever Designed

Thx for the 411 :) will go with the apex!
here is the price i got XTX200 with XTX50 octo, apeks pressure gauge and suunto cobra3 dive computer 1800$ with full warranty

Poseidon Jetstream, you either love them or hate them. Many divers do not like how they breathe, but I do. I love Poseidon Jetstreams, but I strongly suggest. That you dive with a Jetstream before buying. They do have problems with getting serviced. The last time I had mine serviced at the local dive shop. I did not get them back for 3 months. Nowadays I mail them in for servicing.

I also have the ScubaPro MK18-G250 and Atomic B2, both great regulators. I would take a good hard look at the ScubaPro MK17 A700. If I was buying a new scuba regulator.

I recently came back from a 6 week dive vacation to Palawan, Philippines. I rented my dive gear. Every placed I dove. They used Apeks regulators. It was my first dives with Apeks. I was impressed. Yeah it is a good breather, but not any better then my ScubaPro or Atomic. What I really noticed. Was the dive gear I rented. Had not been serviced for ages or may not been serviced at all. The Apeks regulators still worked good. I will never dive with rented gear again, but not because of the Apeks regulators. I had numerous unsafe experiences with rented BC's and inflators from various manufacturers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom