Need help with ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharpenu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I think the fish in this picture is a Whitetip Soldierfish. My reference material tells me that the Whitetip Soldierfish is only found in the Pacific near Micronesia, Hawaii, Japan and Austrailia. This particular picture was taken in 60 feet of water off the coast of West Palm Beach, FL. Can any of you ID this fish?

http://members.tripod.com/fldivemaster/id43.htm

It's a Blackbar Soldierfish. Very common in Florida and the Caribbean. It's sometimes confused with the Squirrelfishes but the 'black bar' behind the gill plate is the clue.

If you have the book 'Reef Fish Identifcation' by Paul Humann, it's on page 219.

Originally posted by Walter
Dee, are you sure? It looks like a Dusky Damselfish to me.

DSSW,

WWW™

Pphhbbbtttttt!!!!

Dee,

I originally thought it was a blackbar as well, but the bar behind the gill slit isn't as dark as the ones in ANY of my fish books or ID cards.

It could be just a difference in coloration intensity. Most all fish, to the best of my knowledge, can vary in coloration lightness/darkness to help their camoflage in the surroundings.

I still think it's a Blackbar.

And here I thought that you were having trouble with Iguana Don......damn, there goes my answer :)

Back
Top Bottom