NEED HELP WITH frog kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slowjen2000

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
CURRENTLY WORKING ON MY MASTER SCUBA DIVING AND DIVE MASTER COURSE. I AM HAVING TROUBLE MASTERING THE FROG KICK. PLEASE HELP WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS. I CAN NOT COMPLETE THIS COURSE WITHOUT LEARNING THIS KICK. I HAVE PRACTCED. WATCHED VIDEOS AND STILL CAN NOT GET IT RIGHT. GOT TO DO THIS.
:confused:

try practicing breaststroke without scuba gear. the kick for that is frog kick.
http://www.gatorswimteam.org/2004/5/breaststroke.html

with fins you can allow yourself to glide for a long time with your legs extended before retracting for the next kick

what agency is this ? i don't recall this being a requirement for PADI DM...

i don't recall this being a requirement for PADI DM...

It is not required for certification.

You can also ask your Instructor for a training session. That's part of the course! They are teaching you the what/how...not just expecting you to "get it".

It is not required for certification.

You can also ask your Instructor for a training session. That's part of the course! They are teaching you the what/how...not just expecting you to "get it".

Different agencies have different requirements for certification. NAUI Instructors have the leeway to place additional requirements on their students beyond the minimum requirements for certification as long as this information is communicated to the student prior to taking the course.

As a MSD or DM, anti-silting techniques should be mastered. A DM is a professional diver and is viewed as such by the diving community. To swim over a piece of coral and destroy it or to silt out an area with a poor fin blast is unacceptable IMO for a diving professional. It is unfortunate that the standards do not require this, but I would encourage an Instructor to exceed the standards to produce competent and proficient divers. The discussion should focus on how to help her pass her MSD and DM course.

See if you can get with your instructor and do some patterning of the kick on land. If you lie on your stomach with your knees bent, you can go through the motions of the kick, and he can grab your fins and pattern you through the correct motions. (My Fundies instructor actually did this for me UNDERWATER, and that's when everything finally clicked.)

The frog kick is not required to pass the DM course by NAUI standards. As a dive master to be my instructor and I feel that this non silting tech]nique should be a skill I should achieve. It is a personal goal and I plan to get it right. Just thought someone would have some advise for me. This is more of a personal goal for myself.

thanks

Hi Jen,

Don't worry about it too much - find a style that is comfortable for you. As a previous poster suggested, it's a bit lik breast stroke swimming, but different

To get the frog kick right, allow your legs to be separated simply by water resistance - you don't want to create drag, and then simply try to bring your heels together and point your toes. It doesn't work for everybody, and also depends on your fins. I can't frog kick (or scull) wearing split fins, for example (I wear Mares Volo fins). There are lots of variations - find something that is comfortable for you.

Hope that helps - as always feel free to PM me if you need

Dive cool

C.

I had a little difficulty with this also, my solution was to practice without fins, then once I thought I had it put the fins on. I think it feels more comfortable with paddle style fins vs. splits, but can be done with both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom